Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Positive thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In actual fact, it's a vary apt thread as being positive and having self-belief are two attributes that appear lacking around the club.

I thank back to the halcyon days of the late 1960's and then the mid 1980's when Everton - the club, players and fans - were positive and believed. At times, even in the Gordon Lee era !!

We didn't fear opposition clubs and teams, we afforded them respect, but not fear no way !!
We went into games, every game, to win and if we couldn't win, we'd compete and give of our best.
The mental approach was right.

Too often in the last twenty years, we have gone wrong mentally.
We have gone into games with the 'knife to a gunfight' or 'glad to get out alive' thinking prevailing in the players and fans mindset.
As a club, we've grown far too accustomed to and almost accepted losing to Manu, the RS, and Arsenal that a draw is seen as almost a reason to celebrate.

Mr.Moshiri, as well as addressing commercial activities, investigating stadium options and protecting/enhancing the playing staff and maybe making a managerial change, in my opinion needs to bring to the club some top sports psychologists to work with EVERYONE about replacing the ingrained negativity and lack of belief with a positive and winning mentality.

Some will argue for and some will argue against that the late, late Inchy equaliser at Oxford as having been the over-riding factor that turned Howard Kendall's Everton from competitors into winners - whatever it was, Howie struck gold and our club did turn almost overnight back to what it had been in the 1960's - a powerhouse club.

We can pull the RS from pillar to post over their cultish behaviour, and the undeniable fact that but for Heysel we would have gone on to dominate for possibly some considerable length of time... but the one thing they have over us in abundance is an absolutely inordinate level of self-belief.
You can call it entitlement if you like, but I'd go so far as to suggest that since 1971 and that damned semi-final loss at Old Trafford to them, they have never gone into any derby since thinking they wouldn't prevail, possibly not even in those halcyon days of the mid 1980's.

@Khalekan @Dario Terracotta @The Esk @Joey66 @oldblue @Woolly Blue @anyone-in-their-late 50's/60's
@Paulrimm
This is definitely something we need to sort under any manager. I know two reasonable reds. One of them says time and again that our problem is that we don't know how good we are.
I'd go a bit further. I think we can be scared of how good we are. Scared of being in the limelight. Scared of playing teams off the park. We're waiting for things to go wrong so we can say that we knew it would happen.
People talk about winners but the big players at this club I've seen mentally, Reid and Parkinson spring to mind, weren't winners by accident. They knew how to live with failure but didn't want to walk off the pitch feeling they had let themselves or the fans down.
Just a little bit of that would do us.

The investment, irrespective of anyone's stance on the current manager the fresh investment from Moshiri and promises of more to come are a much needed shot in the arm. For the first time in a long time we need not worry about stagnating as a club and can look forward to resolution on the stadium issue which has been hanging around it seems for eons

This is definitely something we need to sort under any manager. I know two reasonable reds. One of them says time and again that our problem is that we don't know how good we are.
I'd go a bit further. I think we can be scared of how good we are. Scared of being in the limelight. Scared of playing teams off the park. We're waiting for things to go wrong so we can say that we knew it would happen.
People talk about winners but the big players at this club I've seen mentally, Reid and Parkinson spring to mind, weren't winners by accident. They knew how to live with failure but didn't want to walk off the pitch feeling they had let themselves or the fans down.
Just a little bit of that would do us.

Oldblue - this is spot on.
Over the years, not just under El Bob, but Moyes and others too, far, far, far too many times Everton have had teams on the ropes and we simply do not bury them.
It's as though we don't want to be seen to embarrass our opponents.
For me and I'm sure plenty of others, the state of the opposition is their responsibility, not ours.
If we have a chance to stick ten goals past a weak, useless opposition, then it simply has to be done... no mercy whatsoever.
Nobody would think twice about sticking ten past us would they ?

In actual fact, it's a vary apt thread as being positive and having self-belief are two attributes that appear lacking around the club.

I thank back to the halcyon days of the late 1960's and then the mid 1980's when Everton - the club, players and fans - were positive and believed. At times, even in the Gordon Lee era !!

We didn't fear opposition clubs and teams, we afforded them respect, but not fear no way !!
We went into games, every game, to win and if we couldn't win, we'd compete and give of our best.
The mental approach was right.

Too often in the last twenty years, we have gone wrong mentally.
We have gone into games with the 'knife to a gunfight' or 'glad to get out alive' thinking prevailing in the players and fans mindset.
As a club, we've grown far too accustomed to and almost accepted losing to Manu, the RS, and Arsenal that a draw is seen as almost a reason to celebrate.

Mr.Moshiri, as well as addressing commercial activities, investigating stadium options and protecting/enhancing the playing staff and maybe making a managerial change, in my opinion needs to bring to the club some top sports psychologists to work with EVERYONE about replacing the ingrained negativity and lack of belief with a positive and winning mentality.

Some will argue for and some will argue against that the late, late Inchy equaliser at Oxford as having been the over-riding factor that turned Howard Kendall's Everton from competitors into winners - whatever it was, Howie struck gold and our club did turn almost overnight back to what it had been in the 1960's - a powerhouse club.

We can pull the RS from pillar to post over their cultish behaviour, and the undeniable fact that but for Heysel we would have gone on to dominate for possibly some considerable length of time... but the one thing they have over us in abundance is an absolutely inordinate level of self-belief.
You can call it entitlement if you like, but I'd go so far as to suggest that since 1971 and that damned semi-final loss at Old Trafford to them, they have never gone into any derby since thinking they wouldn't prevail, possibly not even in those halcyon days of the mid 1980's.

@Khalekan @Dario Terracotta @The Esk @Joey66 @oldblue @Woolly Blue @anyone-in-their-late 50's/60's
@Paulrimm
Cheeky sod Blockhead mate,I'm only 50!!!;)lollollol

It was only a couple of weeks ago, before the FA Cup draw, for the first time in a long time I didn't care who we drew out, if we play to our potential we'll win. Never thought that for a long time when the likes of United are still involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back