Postponment of Premier League fixtures due to the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to hear you've lost your job, I hope you find a new one very soon

the media - and government - have massively got their priorities wrong, of course, but we know that

likewise, the Queen passing is of course, naturally, a big story. But they will act like nothing else is important when we all know that is far from the case.
Need to get it right mate, stop thinking and listen to what you're instructed is important and what you should think.

Reactions: JLW
The last time this happened was 1952, so there was always going to be a bit of uncertainty over what would happen

Its the biggest news story of the year. The funeral will be one of the biggest events in British history. The media, and people generally, are gonna want to talk about it.

Whatever we all think of it, it's a massive story around the world. There's going to be 100,000s, if not millions, heading to Edinburgh, London and the royal estates etc. So policing is going to play a part too (they've sadly cancelled the Tour of Britain cycling now, citing police reasons).

So logistics will play a part, and a big one is PR. Clubs/PL/football (which is always an easy target for the media) would get grief if they go ahead with the games, and as always it's the fans that lose out, but like I said earlier, they know we'll be back.

It is down to 'respect', though.

There was an article years ago in the Guardian - sure it's one of their biggest ever online pieces - that detailed exactly what will happen when the monarch dies.

The fact that there's even discussion over whether or not these things will happen exactly as they plan shows there is, of course, room for stuff to change, and so they should IMO, it's 2022.

But yes, it is all down to the 'respect' that has to be paid. I've seen people saying it's archaic, and of course I agree, but at the same time what do people expect? Of course it's archaic, a monarch hasn't died in over 70 years.
It’s the “this is how it’s always been done” mentality that really bothers me. There can’t have been many, if any 70-year periods in human history in which the world has changed so drastically.

Funny how no prominent politicians seem to want to address how far inflation has outstripped wages in the last 70 years, for example, yet there MUST be strict adherence to these traditions.

It’s cherry picked nonsense.

Need to get it right mate, stop thinking and listen to what you're instructed is important and what you should think.
What d'you mean?

IMO, the cost of living crisis, the ongoing war in Ukraine, global warming etc are all much bigger priorities.

I also recognise that the world's longest-serving monarch dying is a huge story too. In the grand scheme of things, it's a 96-year-old woman popping her clogs. In societal terms, it's a huge story around the world.

The last time this happened was 1952, so there was always going to be a bit of uncertainty over what would happen

Its the biggest news story of the year. The funeral will be one of the biggest events in British history. The media, and people generally, are gonna want to talk about it.

Purely as it's the media age, as far as monarchs go she's not even the best/most important Elizabeth

It’s the “this is how it’s always been done” mentality that really bothers me. There can’t have been many, if any 70-year periods in human history in which the world has changed so drastically.

Funny how no prominent politicians seem to want to address how far inflation has outstripped wages in the last 70 years, for example, yet there MUST be strict adherence to these traditions.

It’s cherry picked nonsense.
Well the football wasn't cancelled when George died I don't think, but nobody is doing any accurate reporting by what I can tell as there's loads citing different sources. Sure that will be cleared up soon.

I don't know if you read my post fully but what I'm saying is the fact that there's even discussion over whether the rules have to be 'STRICTLY' adhered to shows that times have moved on. And they aren't rules as such, it's just the plan of what would happen.

If the plan had been strictly adhered to, the games in the UK tonight wouldn't have happened. They went ahead after discussions between the gov, FA and UEFA.

Read the article - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.