Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed the journalists weren't more aggressive in seeking solid answers from the new manager about his former (RS) employers and how he planned to ingratiate himself with Everton- he didn't respond as explicitly or as cleverly as I would have liked and the media people let it go. If Benitez wanted to set his stall out he should have had a smart soundbite or rebuke for the RS - "King Kenny stinks of urine" or "Phil Thompson is a cocknose" or something.
Never mind.....

Getting rid of your best players is rarely a good thing.
It depends on who replaces him. I love James - I think he's the most talented player to play for the club in my 40 years of supporting us. But Benitez will have made his mind up about him from previous experience, and I'd expect a manager to stamp his authority on his new club in short order. If the manager is to have any hope of success, it'll be his way or the highway. This is where James's less than complete attendance record hurts him. He missed far too many important games for us last season to be beyond replacement. Many of us who love his ability have made our minds up about his commitment. He's too happy to be seen posing on private jets while we are getting hammered 5-0 at Man City and missing out on Europe. That needs to change. If Benitez wants him out, that's his decision. He'd better have a good replacement lined up, though, or be able to point to a far more committed and effective team in his absence if he wants to stay in a job beyond next summer.

Meh, lots of nothing really.

Stopped taking any real notice of any manager interviews when we have Bobby, they all just talk crap, at all clubs.
A a manager needs to be at a club 5 years min and done a thing or two and have major clout before he starts speaking his mind in pressers.

Like how we all are with the inlaws.

I think he came across ok. Nothing over the top, no wild promises.

Some of you are just gutted he didn't come out and go:

"Eff the RS! Vinny Samways is god!"

AdorableAggravatingCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif

It depends on who replaces him. I love James - I think he's the most talented player to play for the club in my 40 years of supporting us. But Benitez will have made his mind up about him from previous experience, and I'd expect a manager to stamp his authority on his new club in short order. If the manager is to have any hope of success, it'll be his way or the highway. This is where James's less than complete attendance record hurts him. He missed far too many important games for us last season to be beyond replacement. Many of us who love his ability have made our minds up about his commitment. He's too happy to be seen posing on private jets while we are getting hammered 5-0 at Man City and missing out on Europe. That needs to change. If Benitez wants him out, that's his decision. He'd better have a good replacement lined up, though, or be able to point to a far more committed and effective team in his absence if he wants to stay in a job beyond next summer.
You could make the exact same statement about Iwobi yet he will be kept. I know who I'd rather keep. If James came with no issues he wouldn't be at Everton, not with our current standing. To me, he's worth it. I can understand why other people are fed up and I've been fed up with him at times too. As you say, it depends who we replace him with but, frankly, I can't see who we replace him with that offers anything close to what we get from James. This is a team devoid of creativity and yet people seem gleeful about losing by far our most creative player.

You could make the exact same statement about Iwobi yet he will be kept. I know who I'd rather keep. If James came with no issues he wouldn't be at Everton, not with our current standing. To me, he's worth it. I can understand why other people are fed up and I've been fed up with him at times too. As you say, it depends who we replace him with but, frankly, I can't see who we replace him with that offers anything close to what we get from James. This is a team devoid of creativity and yet people seem gleeful about losing by far our most creative player.
I can only speak for myself: I will be sorry to see James go, but I don't think he commits to any club these days. He's a superstar, a money-making lifestyle choice commodity. If Iwobi stays, that'll be because Benitez has no prior experience of him to rely on. He'll soon learn...

financial constraints and Benitez.

This is going to go very very wrong very very quickly.

I wasn’t fuming about appointing him. I thought it was a mental and stupid idea but I was too numb to care really. But if your not going to give him money to spend then like you say this goes wrong very quickly. If we make a mess of these first 6 games then it’s gonna be mental. Weirdly looking forward to it.

I can only speak for myself: I will be sorry to see James go, but I don't think he commits to any club these days. He's a superstar, a money-making lifestyle choice commodity. If Iwobi stays, that'll be because Benitez has no prior experience of him to rely on. He'll soon learn...
Iwobi, in part anyway, will end up staying because there will be few takers. When we lose James we will lose goals, they're not easy to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.