Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. I just cant help having the total opposite level of enthusiasm about the start of the season to this point last year.

Thats down more to signings/Brands though - had we lashed £100 million this summer on Bailey, Dumfries, a top CM and commanding CB most on here would be buzzing.

I keep saying it but a lot of misplaced anger about the place atm - I'm apathetic but not down to the manager who has been here 5 minutes - I would much rather see the likes of Brands, Kenwright, Gomes, Iwobi, Holgate, Delph, Coleman, Soggy booted long before Benitez.

Can’t believe Newcastle appointed him 15 mins before the end of the season , the bloke had no chance did he . Who stayed up that year I’m guessing it was klopp , pep or a Sam some tactical genius that he had no Chance to compete with .

give him a chance but stop changing what happened it makes it harder for me to get behind him with this ridiculousness .

What on earth is that based on?

His transfers record is horrific.
Torres, Mascherano, Agger, Xabi Alonso, Insigne, Kuyt, Lucas, Koulibaly, ...
Dubravka and Almiron at NUFC, both are good purchases considering the budget he was on. And obviously om forgetting other players (Higuain)

Most of them were unknown until unearthed by Benitez, whilst never having the cashflow of the Manchester clubs

The entire NUFC Point is not valid. Just dive into the Newcastle Chronicle archive.. you'll find how well liked he was.

Give him five years and i'll suspect kopites wont be flying his flag anymore...

if you extrapolate the number of points he gained in those nine games he would have had them ninth in the league, so he didn't get them relegated really
lol lol lol

He took over after game 29. At the time Newcastle were 1 point behind 17th placed Sunderland, but Newcastle had a game in hand having only played 28.

After game 37, they were 4 points behind Sunderland and relegated with a game of the season still remaining.

So yeah. I'd say Benitez got them relegated. When he took over it was still in his hands.

Dubravka and Almiron at NUFC, both are good purchases considering the budget he was on. And obviously om forgetting other players (Higuain)

Most of them were unknown until unearthed by Benitez, whilst never having the cashflow of the Manchester clubs

The entire NUFC Point is not valid. Just dive into the Newcastle Chronicle archive.. you'll find how well liked he was.

Now do all the rest of them.

His buys at Newcastle were largely terrible.

Thats down more to signings/Brands though - had we lashed £100 million this summer on Bailey, Dumfries, a top CM and commanding CB most on here would be buzzing.

I keep saying it but a lot of misplaced anger about the place atm - I'm apathetic but not down to the manager who has been here 5 minutes - I would much rather see the likes of Brands, Kenwright, Gomes, Iwobi, Holgate, Delph, Coleman, Soggy booted long before Benitez.
I think the anger is aimed at Benetiz because he's seen as the face of the club now, personally think it was crass stupidity to appoint him, he will take most of the flak, I don't blame him one bit for taking the job, if I was unemployed and out of favour then got offered a guaranteed 7/8 million whether I was successful or not I'd be jumping at the chance

Interesting first 3 posts you've made so far Mr. Bent.

Im sure we will all be intrigued to read your continued contributions to the forum.

Last edited:
He went there, they were not relegated at the end of the season they got relegated, he was the manager, how can you argue that?
Villa were as good as relegated. He was in a relegation battle with Sunderland and Norwich with 1 point separating the 3. Newcastle had a game in hand over the other 2. The winner of the relegation battle avoided relegation. Newcastle were relegated with a game of the season left. How can anybody say that Benitez wasn't responsible.?

"Considering the budget he was on" - spent £150m in 3 seasons.

Newcastle fans do love him because he stayed with them. But speak to them and they will tell you the football was dire and he is more of a symbol against Ashley than a manager they actually want back. There is a portion of them that do, but also a lot that wouldn't take him back due to how awful the football was.

Villa were as good as relegated. He was in a relegation battle with Sunderland and Norwich with 1 point separating the 3. Newcastle had a game in hand over the other 2. The winner of the relegation battle avoided relegation. Newcastle were relegated with a game of the season left. How can anybody say that Benitez wasn't responsible.?
Really ? as I understand the relegation was completely unrelated to losing to relegated Norwich or drawing with relegated villa and the Sunderland result . You can see from these 3 results it was effectively completely out of the blokes hands .

why are we , or some , engaged in this ridiculous revisionism ? Support the bloke , get behind him but just because he’s a kopite do we have to be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back