2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ey I'm off on the Blueroom in 5 mins! lol (so you all know to avoid this episode)

Tbf to them, I know full well none of them wanted Benitez (MJ definitely didn't and doesn't, it was more just like 'he's here now'). Think they did take a more general approach though in saying 'Christ, it's all crap'. TTV were definitely worse for that but they've flipped on their heads recently.

I wanted to back Benitez, I even did at the start. I went against my gut instinct and really I know I shouldn't have done. It was never the RS thing for me, I just think he's a crap manager. Did when he was at Newcastle.
When Benitez came they were telling everyone to get behind him and none of them outright said that they didn't want him and should never have been given the job until the results went to pot. They were taking shots at the folk who expressed their displeasure or booed Benitez in the first match but now their tunes have changed.

It would have been appreciated if they were up front and honest rather than giving off the impression they were happy to support this and thought it was a good idea so they didn't upset the club.

At least they have finally woke up and it seems it's just the Echo podcast lying to people about thinking Benitez is going to turn this around.

Hang on, you’re giving Ancelotti the excuse of injuries for poor form in the second half of last season but denying it for Benitez in the early part of this season? Ancelotti’s football fell apart without Docuoure Allan and James but even when they were back and his tactical plan had a chance of working the players didn’t execute it.

First 12 months of Ancelotti we saw players following instructions. The likes of Holgate Davies even Keane improving in form to an almost passable standard. We were switching formations and grinding out wins we probably shouldn’t have got all the way up to December because the players were trying thinking that this manager would outlast them.

The second half of his final season they just completely folded like they did under previous managers and at one point we had Pickford throwing the ball in the net most games, DCL and Richy missing sitters for fun, and Keane and Holgate ballooning clearances against each other regularly. Davies Gomes Siggurdson and Bernard were on a revolving carousel for who could be less rubbish to play each week. It was poor player mentality and we’ve seen exactly the same this season, a huge number of individual errors because a lot of these players sense that they’ll outlast the manager.

Why do I have hope for the second half? The message has been sent that the manager isn’t going to be fired as soon as we lose a few games so some players are going to be worried that they’re on their way out in the summer, that normally focuses their minds in the short term.

DCL back to fitness. Any team would hurt from missing their best goal scorer for half a season. Hopefully he stays fit.

New signings. Yes they’ll be bedding in but they can’t be anywhere it’s than Digne and Coleman/Kenny have been this season.
DCL has missed more league games this season. Than salah has in 4.5 seasons. Mane in 3.5 seasons and firmino in the previous 5 seasons. Discounting this season for Firmino as he’s no longer a first choice

Talking of Ancelotti.. 8 of the team that beat Spurs away on the opening day last year were available v Brighton.

Ok Richi and James weren’t but our 2 best players the other day were their 2 direct replacements in Gordon and Gray.

Are people seriously trying to tell me that we don’t have the personnel to compete with Brighton at home?
Exactly mate. People can honestly just k'off with the injury and personnel excuse. It is a proven fact that the players available are capable of a lot more than 6 points out of 36 and that is down to them and the clueless git who is managing them, a Manager who will put the best left back we have had since Baines on the bench with an occasional warm up to troll him and us with no intention of playing him and play a 3rd choice right back at left back and all of this when we have won 1 game out of the last 12 and are heading towards relegation.

You actually couldn't make it up and it is an utter disgrace that the guy is still employed by us. Should have been sacked immediately after the final whistle.

That's not what I hear at all.

I'm always amazed how extreme people's opinions can be about fairly tempered discussion.
It distinctly has the sounds of telling people it's raining while Benitez pisses on our heads to me.

I don't know what you're hearing but they've made constant excuses for him and are constantly having a go at fans for not being behind him.

Last edited:

Talking of Ancelotti.. 8 of the team that beat Spurs away on the opening day last year were available v Brighton.

Ok Richi and James weren’t but our 2 best players the other day were their 2 direct replacements in Gordon and Gray.

Are people seriously trying to tell me that we don’t have the personnel to compete with Brighton at home?
That's what the Benitez fans have been saying this week

It is only a matter of time before 'Baby Beni' is launched over GP.

1641315225086.webp

#MEGA

I actually think Gav talks a lot of sense. Personally I prefer listening to him than the others. He’s constantly says to be fair, this squad finishes mid table, it’s a mid table squad. He also said which I agree with, in a back 5 you need a CB or two who are comfortable on the ball who can bring the ball forward as well as wing backs who can get up and down and give us some attacking intent. Something we were sadly lacking on Sunday

I would disagree about Brighton having better players, maybe they have more of a settled team, as potter been there 2/3yrs, like wolves have played the same system for 5yrs. Both clubs also haven’t had big injuries to their best players.
Gav isn't as bad as the likes of Prentice and Kirkland who even Goebbels could learn a thing or two off of.

DCL has missed more league games this season. Than salah has in 4.5 seasons. Mane in 3.5 seasons and firmino in the previous 5 seasons. Discounting this season for Firmino as he’s no longer a first choice
DCL is our best goal scorer and yes he has been a big miss but you can't compare him to Salah and Mane being out of a team come on.... They are world class. He has scored twenty goals in one season and that's including cups.

Another stat..

We’ve scored the opening goal once in the last 12 games. And that (months ago) was against Watford when we’d actually started on the back foot but scored from a counter attack.

Our initial set up is wrong every week.
Yes, I keep saying that I am sure there was a stat that we have scored 75% of our goals on the second half it proves that the initial set up from Benny is often negative and all wrong. It seems we only come to life when we are behind and have a go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back