2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahrez is 5’10” and Zinchenko is 5’9”

Give up mate I feel like I’m just punching a dead person in a fight at this point.

You’re arguing that we’ve not missed DCL Richarlison and Mina, probably our three best headers of the ball in set piece situations?! What are you talking about?

You’re arguing that we’ve not missed DCL Richarlison and Mina, probably our three best headers of the ball in set piece situations?! What are you talking about?

I’m not saying that at all. I was merely pointing out to Dave that the best defensive team in the league, has multiple players well under 6ft, and that frankly we shouldn’t need bigger players on the pitch (you also mentioned City’s height) to defend set pieces.

Rondon on vs Hull, conceded from a set piece.

DCL on vs Brighton, conceded from a set piece.

Possibly, just possibly, these players can be coached to defend them as they were last season and we can stop pretending it’s because we’re missing a couple of players that can head a ball.

It’s my own fault really. I wasn’t aware that being a great attacking player automatically made you mint at defending set pieces regardless of height. Nothing to do with coaching of course.
Rondon is taller than DCL anyway. And Gray is only 4cm shorter than richie.

If its height we need, get Branthwaite in there. He is taller than Mina when you google everton player heights.

Rondon is taller than DCL anyway. And Gray is only 4cm shorter than richie.

If its height we need, get Branthwaite in there. He is taller than Mina when you google everton player heights.

Doesn’t matter late we can’t possibly defend a set piece unless DCL, Richy and Mina are all playing together. Impossible. We may as well give them a goal from a corner it’s that futile.

I’m not saying that at all. I was merely pointing out to Dave that the best defensive team in the league, has multiple players well under 6ft, and that frankly we shouldn’t need bigger players on the pitch (you also mentioned City’s height) to defend set pieces.

Possibly, just possibly, these players can be coached to defend them as they were last season and we can stop pretending it’s because we’re missing a couple of players that can head a ball.

Heard it all now. You don’t need tall players to defend set pieces…

Even Pep called out that limitation in his own team when buying Rodri.

Ridiculous.

Comparing City’s set piece defence to ours is just a waste of time as the numbers they occur are massively different. That’s before you even get into the fact they’ve had 4 years with Guardiola v a few months with Benitez, and Pep had the best defenders in the world to choose from vs Benitez using Keane and Holgate with his three best headers of the ball missing.

Honestly what are you even banging on about?

Last edited:
I would accuse you of being up someone else’s, but you’d have a massive job extracting yourself from your own in the first place

1641992325122.jpeg

Ha ha ha swapping our best players for another clubs deadwood. What a muppet show this is.

The worst Everton manager since Mike Walker, and an even more unpopular Everton manager than Sam Allardyce.

What other unwanted records is he going to claim? Be the first manager to get us relegated, since the days of Cliff Britton perhaps?

The thing is that what sets really good football players apart from the average is football intelligence, and the ability to process information and execute it. Bernardo Silva is no better than Iwobi at juggling the ball, if you define it as a technique, something I do not do. He is probably no better than Iwobi when it comes to passing exercises in training.

The same can be said about Keane and Ruben Dias. Dias is no stronger physically than Keane, and would probably have lost 9 out of 10 arial duels with Keane if the coach had just thrown the ball in the air to them to compete. But both Iwobi and Keane are completely brain dead when they have to handle several variables at the same time, obtain information, process, make choices and perform the action.

I think Lineker said that Messi was the only player who played football as if he had a bird's eye view. The best players play football as they see it from above. Our players play football as if they are 6 feet under the ground. We do not need more height, we need more intelligence, but until then we have to occupy our own penalty area, and give the players as simple instructions as possible.

The thing is that what sets really good football players apart from the average is football intelligence, and the ability to process information and execute it. Bernardo Silva is no better than Iwobi at juggling the ball, if you define it as a technique, something I do not do. He is probably no better than Iwobi when it comes to passing exercises in training.

The same can be said about Keane and Ruben Dias. Dias is no stronger physically than Keane, and would probably have lost 9 out of 10 arial duels with Keane if the coach had just thrown the ball in the air to them to compete. But both Iwobi and Keane are completely brain dead when they have to handle several variables at the same time, obtain information, process, make choices and perform the action.

I think Lineker said that Messi was the only player who played football as if he had a bird's eye view. The best players play football as they see it from above. Our players play football as if they are 6 feet under the ground. We do not need more height, we need more intelligence, but until then we have to occupy our own penalty area, and give the players as simple instructions as possible.
I agree with most of this.
However Benitez is a manager who likes to do all the thinking for his teams and who consequently stifles much of the initiative of individuals.
The tactics we are pursuing at the moment are broadly the tactics he has coached throughout his career. They not a temporary measure but a precursor to our future even with different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.