2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After 40 years of supporting this club, one thing I have learned - especially over the last few decades - is never get too down about our poor results or too up about our good ones. We are, inherently, as an upper mid-table club, inconsistent. This season, so far, we have more or less done as we should have done: pretty much beaten the sides we "should" beat. However, last season, we were winning away at places we normally wouldn't and losing at home when we normally wouldn't. So we never found a balance.

Of the next seven games, one would think that the matches against West Ham, Watford, Wolves, and Brentford will be critical. 8 points would be par for the course. The games at United, City, and home to Spurs might yield an expected 2-3 points. If we get 10 points from these next 21, I'd say we were doing ok. That would be 23 points from 13 games, a respectable return. Ancelotti was given the benefit of the doubt because he gave us something we hadn't had since the late 1980s: regular wins against top clubs. However, all of that was ruined by abysmal defeats to the likes of Sheffield United, Burnley, and Fulham. One step forward, one step back.

Benitez, it seems to me, is likely to do the opposite: reliably defeat the poorer sides, especially at home, but probably fail to do too much at our so-called betters. Whether that is down to the relative merits of the managers or whether it is to do with home crowds coming back after COVID, who knows? What it does suggest is we will win far more at home and pick up far fewer points away. The sweet spot for Benitez will be in reliably winning at home and getting a few points/wins against the petroclubs. However, given the lack of investment this summer, that might have to wait.

For now, we need to be getting a little consistency into our performances and results. If Villa can win at Old Trafford, I'd like to see us competing there. By the same token, we can't be expecting to brush the likes of West Ham aside at home - though it is games like that that more accurately point out our progress or lack thereof. What we need to avoid at all costs is a run of 5 defeats or something from this next seven. The more stable he can keep us, the more embedded his project can become and the quicker he can go through this risible squad like a dose of much-needed salts.

"Benitez, it seems to me, is likely to do the opposite: reliably defeat the poorer sides, especially at home, but probably fail to do too much at our so-called better"

I am a Liverpool supporter however I adore Benitez for what he achieved at Liverpool, Napoli, Valencia, Chelsea, Especially at Liverpool given the funds that he was given having to sell to buy. I have been actively followed his career and given time and funds he will compete and bet the so called better teams.

Everton might not be ready for Man U, Man City in the coming weeks, as the squad is still adapting to RBs style of play. Next season will be different. and you cant judge results of last years vs the so called better clubs to this years. As the so called better clubs have invested a lot more.

Until he gets the CB pairing of his choice / has adequate time to implement his ideas on current pairing. The result against the so called better teams will be poor. However in the 2nd half of the season you will notice better results .

Rafael is an excellent manager/coach - people make think that he sets up his team to play with less possession, or only on the counter. However he is a chess player and this is the best strategy given his CB pairing / mindset of the players when he first took over/ playing styles
Keane is to slow and will be exposed if they play higher up. Godfrey and Mina will be RBs first choice pairing once Coleman is back.

Rafael plays with a balance in attack and defense and still holds the record for the biggest champions league wins.
Liverpool 8-0 Beşiktaş - Manager RB
Real Madrid 8-0 Malmö FF Manager RB

Judge him after he brings in his players.

We've been as dull as anything we saw last season. Burnley and Norwich were some of the direst games I've ever seen.
The mediocre quality of the squad should get us another mediocre place in the league.

Signing a right back, should be our priority and has been for two seasons.
Not for the first team if Coleman is fit.
I think a quality CB pairing is what needs to be addressed of the first team requirements. Unless Godfrey can step up, Keane makes too many mistakes and CBs are too slow, hence you have to play with less possession.

Overall the Squad depth is a problem.

The majority will lower end finish... We huffed and puffed against favourites for relegation yesterday.

We've beaten who we should be beating. We now have fun of fixtures that the manager and his "astounding" signings can be fully judged.

Without the distractions of one of the cups I might add.
How many times have we lost to teams “WE SHOULD BEAT”

Not for the first team if Coleman is fit.
I think a quality CB pairing is what needs to be addressed of the first team requirements. Unless Godfrey can step up, Keane makes too many mistakes and CBs are too slow, hence you have to play with less possession.

Overall the Squad depth is a problem.

As we`ve seen already, there`s no way Coleman is going to stay fit all season, even without injuries, he`ll need resting now and again.

No one we currently have, provides quality cover for him.

The irony is thinking he isn't good enough for Everton yet thinking he can beat United after spending 1.5 million to thier 120 million. They got Ronaldo. Finished second. Not thinking he can but expecting it.

Thats the irony.

..... but i know exactly what's going on. Its not irony its a charade. ;)
The challenge for that game is that we sold our Ronaldo.

Like for like results, Ancelotti last season vs. Benitez now. I've swapped Norwich for the nearest equivalent (as Norwich won the Championship and Leeds are already involved, that is second placed WBA from 2019/20)

Benitez

Everton 3-1 Southampton
Leeds 2-2 Everton
Brighton 0-2 Everton
Everton 3-1 Burnley
Aston Villa 3-0 Everton
Everton 2-0 Norwich

TOTAL: 13 pts (+5 GD)

Ancelotti

Everton 1-0 Southampton
Leeds 1-2 Everton
Brighton 0-0 Everton
Everton 1-2 Burnley
Aston Villa 0-0 Everton
Everton 5-2 West Brom

TOTAL: 11 pts (+4 GD)

He's outperforming Ancelotti like for like.
With our DCL and Richy and a inform James

Rafael did well with Newcastle against the top 6 with Newcastle. But the major problem I see is that Everton doesn't have a CB with leadership qualities. Defense is a major problem. Upfront Everton is capable of scoring. Hence the reason why their possession stats are so low .
Be interesting to see if RB Everton is still a Small Club/Team vs the big teams

"Benitez, it seems to me, is likely to do the opposite: reliably defeat the poorer sides, especially at home, but probably fail to do too much at our so-called better"

I am a Liverpool supporter however I adore Benitez for what he achieved at Liverpool, Napoli, Valencia, Chelsea, Especially at Liverpool given the funds that he was given having to sell to buy. I have been actively followed his career and given time and funds he will compete and bet the so called better teams.

Everton might not be ready for Man U, Man City in the coming weeks, as the squad is still adapting to RBs style of play. Next season will be different. and you cant judge results of last years vs the so called better clubs to this years. As the so called better clubs have invested a lot more.

Until he gets the CB pairing of his choice / has adequate time to implement his ideas on current pairing. The result against the so called better teams will be poor. However in the 2nd half of the season you will notice better results .

Rafael is an excellent manager/coach - people make think that he sets up his team to play with less possession, or only on the counter. However he is a chess player and this is the best strategy given his CB pairing / mindset of the players when he first took over/ playing styles
Keane is to slow and will be exposed if they play higher up. Godfrey and Mina will be RBs first choice pairing once Coleman is back.

Rafael plays with a balance in attack and defense and still holds the record for the biggest champions league wins.
Liverpool 8-0 Beşiktaş - Manager RB
Real Madrid 8-0 Malmö FF Manager RB

Judge him after he brings in his players.
Unbelievable

We've been as dull as anything we saw last season. Burnley and Norwich were some of the direst games I've ever seen.
The mediocre quality of the squad should get us another mediocre place in the league.

When have we ever been exciting? Since Martinez’s first season it’s just been 7 years of having a red hot poker stuck in your eye. I’d rather watch us win in a boring manner than get embarrassed every week in a turgid manner. It’s not as though we were getting beaten 5-4 every week under previous managers. Martinez (post first season) Koeman Allardyce Silva and Ancelotti (second half of last season) played some of the most boring football you will ever see anywhere from any premier league team.

We’ve not played with two decent wide men for about 8 years, we’ve not had any pace anywhere, we’ve struggled to cross balls, none of the midfielders have put tackles in or carried the ball or scored from distance. Benitez has shown early signs of rectifying this and the odd few sights of Allan winning the ball and seeing Docuoure, Gray, Townsend, Richalrison and DCL (I know they’ve not often all been out together) streaming ahead of him is something that no other Everton manager has even tried to produce since 13/14.

Man U arnt exactly ripping up trees. Lost to Young Boys, West Ham missed a last minute pen, West Ham beat them(cup) lost to Villa although missed a pen

Then again we are Everton and id expect a 3-0 defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.