2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Madrid poached one the best managers in the game off us for getting this bunch into 10th.

That 10th side. The 9 clubs beneath us out spent us massively and the 9 clubs above us out spent us ridiculously.

Europe is expected? Get a hold of yourself. 10th again would be an achievement. Higher would be remarkable.

Based on reality. Not in lala land where you derive some self satisfaction by proclaiming you have higher ambition for our club than others.

Everton's aim should always be to compete for Europe.

You point out the £1.5m spend this summer. That's fine.

But let's look at the team that started on Saturday

Pickford - £25m
Godfrey - £20m
Keane - £25m
Mina - £27m
Digne - £18m
Allan - £20m
Doucoure - £20m
Townsend - Free
Gray - £1.5m
Iwobi - £34m
Rondon - Free

So yes, the spend this summer was low. But that team, with 3 key players injured, still has a combined cost (in fees) of £190.5m. An average of £17.3m per player.

Pickford - £25m
Godfrey - £20m
Keane - £25m
Mina - £27m
Digne - £18m
Allan - £20m
Doucoure - £20m
Townsend - Free
Gray - £1.5m
Iwobi - £34m
Rondon - Free

So yes, the spend this summer was low. But that team, with 3 key players injured, still has a combined cost (in fees) of £190.5m. An average of £17.3m per player.
What they cost 2-3 years ago has absolutely no relevance though to how good they actually are now.

Pickford - £25m
Godfrey - £20m
Keane - £25m
Mina - £27m
Digne - £18m
Allan - £20m
Doucoure - £20m
Townsend - Free
Gray - £1.5m
Iwobi - £34m
Rondon - Free

They finished 12th and 10th. That's a bat shid crazy recruitment issue. Not a barometer off how good we are.

Benitez himself has only 1.7. Has done excellent recruitment. But to expect to get a team that finished 12th and 10th no matter how ridiculous our owner was to spend that on them to get them up the table on 1.7 will be a massive achievement.

What they cost 2-3 years ago has absolutely no relevance though to how good they actually are now.

Mina, Digne, Pickford - they're 3 of our best players.

Godfrey was our young player of the year last season. Allan and Doucoure have been exceptional this season by and large and were both pretty good for large chunks of last year.

People are acting like we're made up of Championship cast offs. Have we wasted a lot of money? Absolutely. Should we still challenge for Europe based on what we have spent? Absolutely.

We're one of 9 teams who could finish anywhere from 5th to 13th IMO.

They finished 12th and 10th. That's a bat shid crazy recruitment issue. Not a barometer off how good we are.

Benitez himself has only 1.7. Has done excellent recruitment. But to expect to get a team that finished 12th and 10th no matter how ridiculous our owner was to spend that on them to get them up the table on 1.7 will be a massive achievement.

I mean Digne, Pickford, Keane and Mina were all here before 2019

We got 59 points last season. That shouldn't be a 10th-placed finish but it was. We should have finished a lot higher.

I would be delighted if we matched last season's points total because I think this year that gets you top six.

I'm not expecting it or saying it'll be a failure if we don't get that tally, btw. End of the day if we finish 8th it's an improvement. But people were unhappy last season with 10th - rightly - because we should never, ever have finished that low. We were fighting for CL until about April, so does that just show Carlo actually was really overachieving for a long spell?

You're getting yourself tied up trying to make excuses for Benitez for something that hasn't happened yet.

Reminds me of Al from Al’s Toy Barn

Attachments

• A71EEE7D-F5C1-4F81-926F-DB82916E5EFC.png
    A71EEE7D-F5C1-4F81-926F-DB82916E5EFC.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 58

Pickford - £25m
Godfrey - £20m
Keane - £25m
Mina - £27m
Digne - £18m
Allan - £20m
Doucoure - £20m
Townsend - Free
Gray - £1.5m
Iwobi - £34m
Rondon - Free

It'll never, ever, ever get less sickening seeing that price tag next to Iwobi.

We are indeed. But the mid-point of that range is 9th. That won't be good enough for Europe - which is about right, to be fair, because neither are we.

That's not to say we can't challenge. With our current squad, we would have to get very fortunate with injuries though, so like I said I'm not going to be furious if we don't challenge for those places.

But Everton as a club should aways expect to be challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.