2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not to say we can't challenge. With our current squad, we would have to get very fortunate with injuries though, so like I said I'm not going to be furious if we don't challenge for those places.

But Everton as a club should aways expect to be challenging.
Yes, I agree. As much as I am a pragmatist - which is one reason why I, for one, welcome our new hospitality sector overlord - I am queasy at the idea that we should simply be writing off the Manchester United game. I'd like to see us go there and compete. If we lose, we lose - our injury crisis and, indeed, our utter lack of significant investment in the summer means Senor Benitez is, essentially, playing with one arm tied behind his back. So, I don't expect a good result. But I do expect to see a team do its best. I don't think the squad is deep enough - or good enough, to be frank - to expect a European place, but I do expect that the manager can get us playing with a purpose and recognised style - even if that is simply being hard to beat.

Everton should indeed always be challenging. I am pretty sure Benitez expects to be challenging. But the board has a lot of neck demanding anything this season after their crass mismanagement of our finances.

Yes, I agree. As much as I am a pragmatist - which is one reason why I, for one, welcome our new hospitality sector overlord - I am queasy at the idea that we should simply be writing off the Manchester United game. I'd like to see us go there and compete. If we lose, we lose - our injury crisis and, indeed, our utter lack of significant investment in the summer means Senor Benitez is, essentially, playing with one arm tied behind his back. So, I don't expect a good result. But I do expect to see a team do its best. I don't think the squad is deep enough - or good enough, to be frank - to expect a European place, but I do expect that the manager can get us playing with a purpose and recognised style - even if that is simply being hard to beat.

Everton should indeed always be challenging. I am pretty sure Benitez expects to be challenging. But the board has a lot of neck demanding anything this season after their crass mismanagement of our finances.
I fully agree. But I don't see much difference between our squad and West Ham's squad of last year, for example, that finished sixth.

So I'm not expecting us to get Europe. But I'm expecting us to be pushing there and there abouts.

I fully agree. But I don't see much difference between our squad and West Ham's squad of last year, for example, that finished sixth.

So I'm not expecting us to get Europe. But I'm expecting us to be pushing there and there abouts.
I think sixth is possible - but I also think that Moyes had an outlier season last term, to his credit. I doubt they'll be sixth this time, but then again who knows. Outside of, perhaps four sides, there is not much between the next 10. What we do need, though, is stability. Benitez needs to do enough to ensure that the voluble implacably-opposed minority remain marginalised. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope and there will be questions about his continued employment if things escalate badly. With stability - and then with proper investment - I think we've got the makings of a competitive era at the club now.

….Gray has said he’s being encouraged to take up central positions. It makes complete sense, especially when the ball is on the other side. Richarlison does it naturally when he plays wide. i’ve said it before on here for many years, there’s nothing better than seeing a winger get on the end of things in the box.

Benitez is a micro-manager. I heard one pro at the weekend saying they’d be looking to get out of his ear shot on the pitch as they would hate the constant stream of instructions. I’m not being critical, it’s not a particularly bad thing, its the way he is.
I don’t agree. A micro manager to me suggests repetitive turgid football. From what I’ve seen so far we have had more out of your seat exciting football this season than we have witnessed in the last five. Just my opinion and I’m not suggesting that Benitez is the messiah just happy with the little chinks of excitement coming through

I think January will be interesting.
I think RB expected to be active during the last window but the inability to move JR and the last minute deal for Kean scuppered any chance of anything happening.

Our squad is very limited in certain positions and to have a strong finish we do need some additions in January.
Of course it is a very difficult market at that time of year, but there may be a further departure or two which would allow us some further scope if targets become available.

I did a quick google on the players that left the club since the end of last season and the number that did leave was startling. I just gave a quick estimate on the wages saved and I came up with a figure of about 40m in total.

Tosun, Sigurdsson and maybe others will be added to that in January or next summer.

I think its more accurate to say our previous managers failed only getting 10th-12th with this squad.
I don't think so, the axis of snails in the mid field is 100% the cause... it's been our biggest issue for a long time.. Gylfi,Gomes,James,Allan you can get away with 1 maybe 2 snails in the starting 11, any more and it gets difficult. What I have seen this year that has not been evident for a long time is opposition platers backing off afraid of getting skint for pace. We'll do much better because of it this season imo.

I don’t agree. A micro manager to me suggests repetitive turgid football. From what I’ve seen so far we have had more out of your seat exciting football this season than we have witnessed in the last five. Just my opinion and I’m not suggesting that Benitez is the messiah just happy with the little chinks of excitement coming through

…micro-manage is not representative of a system or way of playing, it’s just the way a manager controls his team. Pep Guardiola could’ve been a micro-manager of the Barcelona team (I don’t think he is that type but it’s just an example).

Status
Not open for further replies.