Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ramiro Funes Mori

Will he get a work permit and play for us ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/01/26/vickery-impressed-by-funes-mori

Vickery Impressed By Funes Mori
fe20f66934e940cda1b5748ab0065a08.jpg

by Mike Taylor@efc_miketaylor26 January 2016 16:04

Post a comment

Ramiro Funes Mori was the best Argentine centre-back on show in Everton’s Capital One Cup semi-final first leg against Manchester City, according to the BBC’s South American football correspondent Tim Vickery.

The summer recruit netted the opener and impressed with an assured display as he overshadowed defensive compatriots Nicolas Otamendi and Martin Demichelis in the Blues' 2-1 victory.

And, as Roberto Martinez’s side prepare to head to the Etihad Stadium looking to reach the final of the competition for the first time since 1984, Vickery has warned Everton’s defence will have to be at the top of their game once again on Wednesday evening.

“The first leg was very interesting,” he told evertonfc.com. “I thought of the three Argentine centre-backs on show, Funes Mori was the most impressive.

“He attacks the ball so well. I think the aggression and drive he shows to get on the end of things in the box is evidence of his will to win, and that’s something that goes down well with supporters.

“But if Funes Mori plays again on Wednesday, he is going to have to be on his game defensively as well because it is a difficult task trying to stop an in-form Sergio Aguero.”

38035f75d0b1450ba05f2dfbc58999e6.jpg

Born in Mendoza, Argentina, Funes Mori spent time in the United States as a teenager and, as such, speaks fluent English.

It is a factor Vickery believes has massively helped the defender make the historically difficult transition from Argentina to life in the Premier League.

“He’s clearly done much, much better than I expected,” added Vickery, who initially predicted a longer adaptation period for the 24-year-old. “I was still in England when he made his Everton debut against Chelsea and that was at a time when everyone believed Chelsea would run away with the title.

“He came on as a substitute and I thought it’d be a really big test for him. He looked confident and composed in that game - it was impressive.

“It’s a much easier step to make for him compared to other Argentines because he speaks such good English from his time in Dallas. Defending is obviously an art that heavily involves communication, so I think the fact he speaks English has made the settling in process much easier for him. But the step up in quality is huge as well. It is difficult [to adapt].

“You only have to look across the park to see how Gabriel Paletta failed when he first went to Liverpool, but ended up being a massive success in Italy and representing the Italian national side.

“He couldn’t cope with the strength in the Premier League after coming straight from Argentina. The football is so much faster, the defensive lines play higher and the strikers have much more quality, so it’s a big step up.

“Bearing that in mind, Funes Mori has done much, much better than I have seen others adapt to life in England.”

At least he's said he got it wrong

He's more of a goal threat than Stones. He should play. And I think he will. Time to throw Stones on the bench

For that reason alone mate i think he should play.

Our chances may be limited tomorrow so set pieces are key, and whilst ours are generally crap, Funes Mori has scored from three set pieces, although two were second phase. But he's much more of a threat.

Amazing really how sometimes missing out on your top target can be a blessing. Ogbonna was said to be target number 1, and he always looked pretty poor from the little we'd seen and that's proven to be the case as he's looked utter turd for West Ham.

We then picked up Mori who looks twice the player.

Result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back