Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s alright. Excels in interceptions and good in the air offensively and defensively. Can be suspect positionally though and tends to play poor clearances and passes.

Him being an actual left footer is a big bonus though.
Agreed. Nice guy to have at the club. Hope he comes back and is good. Average PL back at best.

I have an Argentinian friend and they don't really rate him and tbh Argentina aren't a great team atm despite having Messi and Di Maria. They're also not potential world cup winners, judging by how they struggled to get through their group.

I'm open to the fact that he might come back and do well and you're right that he's a threat from set pieces, but he's not shown himself to be a great defender or great at passing out from the back.

You wrote off Walcott and said he was just coming here to retire, implying he was a rubbish, so I don't think you're a great advocate for judging players ability.
Anecdotal evidence from two friends means next to nothing. His national manager has more credibility and he starts Mori every time he's available and he's done well for them. Mori needs playing in position and playing out from the back. If Silva or Fonseca turn up here in the summer you can be sure they'll fight hard to retain Mori.

Let's start with the basics.

Mori: Is he better than Jagielka? YES
Mori: Is he better than Williams? YES
Mori: Is he better than Keane? YES
Mori: Is he better than Holgate? YES

Now anybody who claims Mason Holgate, regardless of a few decent games and his potential, is a better player than Argentine international Ramiro Funes Mori, needs their head testing.

For me it'd be a toss up between Holgate and Keane next to him, and I'd prefer Holgate to be honest. Keane always looks like there is a mistake in him. I really hope, but don't expect, that Allardyce with give them a chance to forget a partnership towards the end of the season.

What’s been happening to you lately mate? The Barry incident knocked you back? Mori is our best footballing centreback. He can be erratic but his distribution is better than our other CBs.

Haha, maybe it's the weather?

But seriously, Funes Mori is garbage. I disliked him under Martinez- plays like bambi on ice.

We need far, far better.

However, i'll take your points and he might / probably prove me wrong.

I have an Argentinian friend and they don't really rate him and tbh Argentina aren't a great team atm despite having Messi and Di Maria. They're also not potential world cup winners, judging by how they struggled to get through their group.

I'm open to the fact that he might come back and do well and you're right that he's a threat from set pieces, but he's not shown himself to be a great defender or great at passing out from the back.

You wrote off Walcott and said he was just coming here to retire, implying he was a rubbish, so I don't think you're a great advocate for judging players ability.

How they struggled through their group is irrelevant. Plenty of factors there including games at high altitude etc.

Argentina are potential World Cup winners, in the last two major tournaments they’ve got to the final in both of them.

Has everyone lost their memory? Funes Mori is NOT a footballing centre half. He's about the worst on the worst on the ball of the lot of them and that's some achievement. He might look more assured but he's probably 'passed' more balls straight out of play than anyone I've ever seen. He looks like his boots are on the wrong feet half the time.

He's not a bad defender in general though, not the level I'd like us to be at, but a more than competent centre half in the PL. For that reason I hope he can come back at the same level as having a naturally left sided player would add some much needed balance.

Has everyone lost their memory? Funes Mori is NOT a footballing centre half. He's about the worst on the worst on the ball of the lot of them and that's some achievement. He might look more assured but he's probably 'passed' more balls straight out of play than anyone I've ever seen. He looks like his boots are on the wrong feet half the time.

He's not a bad defender in general though, not the level I'd like us to be at, but a more than competent centre half in the PL. For that reason I hope he can come back at the same level as having a naturally left sided player would add some much needed balance.
His pass completion was higher than all our other cbs though

lol whoscored
First site that comes up if you google passing stats, just tried Squawka and weirdly they agree with me. Feel free to share which site you've used to get your stats though, i'm always happy to find new learning material.

I like Mori and think he might be an improvement in a defensive sense, just not sure why people are suggesting he'd be an improvement in a footballing sense, because that's not really his strength in my opinion.

Hermano funes also has the least errors leading to goals out of all our cbs over the last few seasons aswell to dispel that myth

Nah lad though because he can play football he’s erratic and makes errors whereas the other 3 we’ve got who can’t play football are completely error free so let’s play our geriatric over 30s rather than an Argentine international in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back