Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha ...no ... the area of the UK I live in , local dishes are a kind of stew called Lobby (Similar to scouse) and some weird savoury pancakes called oatcakes (usually filled with bacon and cheese) also anything with Chips.. I was going with a southern USA type theme when I did the chicken , except for Gochujang which is Korean
I have been hesitant to make a proper scouse stew because it looks like such a heavy and thick. And my hesitation increased after a good GOT lady friend advised me against it lol

Hmmmm is there a favorite recipe for the savoury pancakes that you could share? And what do you accompany them with?

It makes a fantastic marinade for chicken wings when combined with sake, mirin, rice vinegar and honey. Make sure you brine the wings overnight in sea salt, caster sugar, soy sauce, garlic and lemon rind before marinading and baking. Sticky, spicy deliciousness!
Or micro a Pukka pie for 4mins..perfect.

I have been hesitant to make a proper scouse stew because it looks like such a heavy and thick. And my hesitation increased after a good GOT lady friend advised me against it lol

Hmmmm is there a favorite recipe for the savoury pancakes that you could share? And what do you accompany them with?
I'm not that much of a fan myself and my other half doesnt like them at all , however the locals love them but fillings really vary from traditional Bacon/Sausage with melted cheese . If you google Staffordshire oatcakes you'll get the idea ... Here's a site from an oatcake producer with a couple of non traditional ideas https://poveysoatcakes.com/recipes/

It makes a fantastic marinade for chicken wings when combined with sake, mirin, rice vinegar and honey. Make sure you brine the wings overnight in sea salt, caster sugar, soy sauce, garlic and lemon rind before marinading and baking. Sticky, spicy deliciousness!
Brining is something that has me puzzled , I tried a Tom Kerridge recipe for fried chicken that involved brining for 8 hrs, the recipe didnt say wash afterwards so I didnt, the meat was lovely and tender but far too salty, like it had been at the bottom of the sea for 5 years.... I've made salt beef a fair few times which involves bringing brisket in a mixture of salt/sugar/water for a week but you give it a good wash afterwards before cooking. After brining your wings do you wash it off?

Brining is something that has me puzzled , I tried a Tom Kerridge recipe for fried chicken that involved brining for 8 hrs, the recipe didnt say wash afterwards so I didnt, the meat was lovely and tender but far too salty, like it had been at the bottom of the sea for 5 years.... I've made salt beef a fair few times which involves bringing brisket in a mixture of salt/sugar/water for a week but you give it a good wash afterwards before cooking. After brining your wings do you wash it off?
I usually use a dry brine so I tend not to wash the meat as it can get rid of some of the flavour. I pad the chicken dry with some kitchen towel and use a plastic spoon to scrape off the salt and sugar. If you don't, as you say, it can be horribly salty. It's a bit of a faff but it's worth it, particularly for meat cooked on the bone, to get that lovely texture. The meat just peels off the bone and the glaze really sticks as well.

I usually use a dry brine so I tend not to wash the meat as it can get rid of some of the flavour. I pad the chicken dry with some kitchen towel and use a plastic spoon to scrape off the salt and sugar. If you don't, as you say, it can be horribly salty. It's a bit of a faff but it's worth it, particularly for meat cooked on the bone, to get that lovely texture. The meat just peels off the bone and the glaze really sticks as well.
Thanks mate, agree with the success of brining though, the salt beef is just so tender, which when you consider its essentially brisket, it's well worth it. Think I'll do it again with the chicken but wash it off before I put it in the buttermilk mix

Sous Vide For The People
So, Sous vide (water bath) is the stuff of Great British Menu, high end fancy dining places and pretentious Masterchef contestants right? Well that's what I thought until I saw a product from Anova that means you can achieve the same results but at a fraction of the price

Basically it's this sous vide stick that will accurately control the temperature of the water , which is what's it all about. You can clamp it to a large saucepan or in my case a cheap storage box from B&Q

Now, I said it's affordable but that really depends on your budget, the anova is around £90 but for a hobbiest cook like myself I was willing to pay that price. You don't necessarily need a vacuum sealer, you can use a ziplock bag and squeeze the air out yourself but the vacuum sealer makes it a lot easier and you can use it for bagging up stuff for the Freezer . Vacuum sealers are around £50 on Amazon. Which makes the total outlay £140

Is it worth it? In my view is yes. If you're into cooking and what to try new things. So far i've used it for short ribs, steak, Lamb and pork .. the stuff that comes out is meltingly tender, even the toughest cuts. The beauty of this is , because it's in a bag it loses no flavour and you can just leave it sitting there cooking away and not have to worry about it. I've also used it for whole pears in white wine and vanilla and that came out amazing , just tastes of intensified Pear

svide.webp

I used it at the weekend just gone, took some beef short ribs, applied a rub, bagged them up , put them in the water bath for 48hrs, then finished them on the BBQ and applied a BBQ glaze (Ketchup, Soy, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and 150 Ml from a can of coke) . First time I tried a 2 day cook I was thinking what a faff but really you can just forget about it, just check before you go to bed or out that the water level is topped up

175537480_10159471351828829_2990190439668739306_n.webp

175683399_10159471351778829_5004771001553417967_n.webp

Oh and I apologise for what might be the most Middle Class Post ever on GOT

I'm not that much of a fan myself and my other half doesnt like them at all , however the locals love them but fillings really vary from traditional Bacon/Sausage with melted cheese . If you google Staffordshire oatcakes you'll get the idea ... Here's a site from an oatcake producer with a couple of non traditional ideas https://poveysoatcakes.com/recipes/
Hmmmm, now I’m having hesitation when a great cook like yourself is not a fan of it. Nonetheless, I’m going to check out this link because I’m also curious about this traditional dish. Thanks, Sid James.

Hmmmm, now I’m having hesitation when a great cook like yourself is not a fan of it. Nonetheless, I’m going to check out this link because I’m also curious about this traditional dish. Thanks, Sid James.
Oatcakes are lovely and easy to do. - you can get a mini-fry up in one. :)

3648.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back