Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question . I only see this in recipes in the US, what is Kosher Salt , what makes it different from, erm, normal salt, rock or Sea Salt .. does it need to blessed by a Rabbi or something
Hahaha, I have never had mine blessed by any Rabbi and the food had always come out as delicious.

For what I have read Chefs like to us kosher salt because due to its large flake size it is easier to pick up with the fingers and spread over food and it is also less likely to contain additives like anti-caking agents and iodine. However, I usually utilize coarse sea salt as kosher salt and get the same results. There is a local business that sells very nice coarse sea salt that’s super tasty with margaritas too lol

I encountered similar issues not just with potatoes but sometimes zucchini or cucumber sticking to the knives. I have read that it depends on the angle, cutting board placement, and keeping the blades sharp and clean but I wonder if anyone else has some suggestions.

I'm actually on the search for a good set of kitchen knives. Do you have a brand that you would suggest?
Henckels are solid buys for home cooks. Good quality German carbon steel.

Genuine question . I only see this in recipes in the US, what is Kosher Salt , what makes it different from, erm, normal salt, rock or Sea Salt .. does it need to blessed by a Rabbi or something

Its called Kosher Salt because it is used in the Kosher process to remove excess moisture and blood from meat before consumption.

It is basically just large crystal rock salt and no iodine.

One kitchen i worked in did an orthodox wedding and the rabbi explained it to us. He also had to go through and inspect/clean the kitchen.

He cleaned the stainless steel with a blow torch for caramelized creme Brule tops which I found a bit mad.

Got the mayo recipe? I'm doing some buttermilk chicken this week.

Ta
I used the following Ratio 2 tbsp Mayo, 1 tsp Gochujang paste, squeeze of lime , salt and pepper , then whisk together... but like all good sauces, follow your tastebuds in terms of how far to deviate from the ratios above, think I added more Gochujang ... if it lacks sweetness you could try a drop of mirin if you have any in the cupboard

Henckels are solid buys for home cooks. Good quality German carbon steel.
After much research I settled for this set of Henckels for birthday present. All the hubby has to do is order them lol They were on sale too so I thought it was a pretty good deal for these set of forged knives. But it was a hard decision because everyone here had some great suggestions about some very good knives and brands. Now I’m about to order a set of nocry cut resistant gloves because as much as like cooking I’m also very clumpy in the kitchen and until I get used to my new knives I don’t want to end up at the ER with a cut.

984FAE10-2DF2-45FF-B248-51CE94749C16.webp

Its called Kosher Salt because it is used in the Kosher process to remove excess moisture and blood from meat before consumption.

It is basically just large crystal rock salt and no iodine.

One kitchen i worked in did an orthodox wedding and the rabbi explained it to us. He also had to go through and inspect/clean the kitchen.

He cleaned the stainless steel with a blow torch for caramelized creme Brule tops which I found a bit mad.
Good to know. Thanks for the explanation.

Had a sandwich for lunch yesterday - no bread so super lo-carb. Take a yellow or orange pepper, cut in half lengthways and take out seeds and core. Schmeer the inside of the pepper with cream cheese and then fill both sides with layers of lettuce, cheese, deli turkey (if you like that) and sprouts. Bring the two sides back together and slice across for the perfect sandwich! the pepper is so crunchy - it was delicious on a warm day!

Had a sandwich for lunch yesterday - no bread so super lo-carb. Take a yellow or orange pepper, cut in half lengthways and take out seeds and core. Schmeer the inside of the pepper with cream cheese and then fill both sides with layers of lettuce, cheese, deli turkey (if you like that) and sprouts. Bring the two sides back together and slice across for the perfect sandwich! the pepper is so crunchy - it was delicious on a warm day!
This is not a sandwich ! No more than tofu chicken is chicken .Shame on you for posting this in a food forum .Why am I so upset? Because we are on a diet .No carbs just meat and veg.

Hahaha, I have never had mine blessed by any Rabbi and the food had always come out as delicious.

For what I have read Chefs like to us kosher salt because due to its large flake size it is easier to pick up with the fingers and spread over food and it is also less likely to contain additives like anti-caking agents and iodine. However, I usually utilize coarse sea salt as kosher salt and get the same results. There is a local business that sells very nice coarse sea salt that’s super tasty with margaritas too lol
I read somewhere a while back that the call for kosher salt is due to it being easier to regulate how much salt you are adding than if it was fine salt as it's less densely packed per unit volume. I am suspicious as I can't see it being that huge a difference.

I love the pepper sandwich recipe even if carb deprived @blue1948 doesn't seem to think so. Thanks for sharing this idea, I'm definitely making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back