Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a sandwich ! No more than tofu chicken is chicken .Shame on you for posting this in a food forum .Why am I so upset? Because we are on a diet .No carbs just meat and veg.
thanks! you will also love our recent adventure into mini waffle's. buy one of those little mini waffle makers, spray with oil, add a little grated cheese, then a beaten egg and a sausage patty (veggie if you prefer) put a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top and close lid to cook like a regular waffle.
For extra joy skip the sausage , make 2 of the waffles and use them to make a waffle sandwich with avocado and sprouts in the middle.
Not a waffle!!! Not a sandwich!!!
Enjoy!

I read somewhere a while back that the call for kosher salt is due to it being easier to regulate how much salt you are adding than if it was fine salt as it's less densely packed per unit volume. I am suspicious as I can't see it being that huge a difference.
On this salt thing ,a friend of mine swears by Himalayan salt -The only one he will use -It turns out that it is the only one with arsenic ,uranium or lead which we don't want .

I read somewhere a while back that the call for kosher salt is due to it being easier to regulate how much salt you are adding than if it was fine salt as it's less densely packed per unit volume. I am suspicious as I can't see it being that huge a difference.

On this salt thing ,a friend of mine swears by Himalayan salt -The only one he will use -It turns out that it is the only one with arsenic ,uranium or lead which we don't want .
So much to learn about kosher and now Himalayan salt, thank you both.

@Sassy Colombian

Here's a basic one that I've made. It is fairly standard though, nothing fancy. It's from the same show where I saw Roy Choi's spaghetti sauce...

Meatball Ingredients
  • 2 tbsps fennel seeds (toasted and crushed)
  • 2 lbs ground pork
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 3 tbsps parsley (chopped)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp minced garlic (1 large clove)
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • 1 oz parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
  • 1 white onion (pureed in minimal amount of water)
  • Large pinch of salt
  • Several turns of a black pepper grinder
  • Add the ingredients for the meatballs to a large bowl and gently mix together with your hands, making sure not to over-mix. The raw meatball “dough” should be wet.
  • Form large meatballs (approximately twice the size of a golfball) and place in rows on a quarter-sheet pan that has been greased with olive oil.
  • After the entire mixture has been formed into balls, drizzle olive oil over the top of each meatball and then place in 350 degree pre-heated oven for approximately 40 minutes (times may vary, so cook until just nearly cooked).
I made the meatballs recipe above to use with spaghetti but utilized a quarter of the sausage from this recipe to make meatballs for the soup below.

5BC4121E-E1CC-4380-8EED-762B61609BAF.jpeg

Sausage Meatball Kale Soup

Ingredients for the meatballs

For the meatball preparation see above recipe.

Ingredients for the soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cups diced onion
1 tsp salt
¾ cup diced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 ½ cups roughly chopped carrot
1 6-8 oz potato
2 cups white cannellini beans cooked
5 cups chicken stock
1 bunch kale (approx. 10 oz), ribs removed and chopped

Instructions for the meatballs

For the meatball Instructions see above recipe but form small meatballs

Instructions for the soup

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, and salt. Slowly sauté until the onion and celery are translucent and soft, 4-6 minutes.

Add garlic, red pepper, oregano, and basil. Stir and heat until garlic is fragrant, 1 minute.

Add carrot, whole white beans with the liquid, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the carrot are cooked, 25-35 minutes.

Once the carrots are cooked, add the cannellini beans to the soup. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Add the kale and baked meatballs to the soup. Allow the kale to wilt and the meatballs to warm through, 6 minutes.

Last edited:

To peel a Kiwi fruit, cut the two ends off, then insert a table spoon into one end and scoop along the inside of the peel until the fruit pops out.
Nice trick, but have you tried eating the kiwi with the skin which would be even more nutritious? “The fuzz can be partially removed by rubbing the fruit with a clean towel, scrubbing it with a vegetable brush or scraping it lightly with a spoon. Eating the skin of a kiwi can increase its fibercontent by 50%, boost folate by 32% and raise vitamin E concentration by 34%, compared to eating the flesh alone.”

Nice trick, but have you tried eating the kiwi with the skin which would be even more nutritious? “The fuzz can be partially removed by rubbing the fruit with a clean towel, scrubbing it with a vegetable brush or scraping it lightly with a spoon. Eating the skin of a kiwi can increase its fibercontent by 50%, boost folate by 32% and raise vitamin E concentration by 34%, compared to eating the flesh alone.”
Wow! Didn’t know that!

Look @Tommy. I received an early birthday gift today. Can’t wait to use it but it won’t be tonight as I already had a tequila shot, the loss by the Blues took me down that path already lol

View attachment 126008

Nice! Ain't cheap them things...
Think even I could have got on the tequila last night if I wasn't working today and I haven't touched the stuff since a very heavy day and night in Mexico. Even the smell gets my stomach doing flips.

Nice! Ain't cheap them things...
Think even I could have got on the tequila last night if I wasn't working today and I haven't touched the stuff since a very heavy day and night in Mexico. Even the smell gets my stomach doing flips.
They are not cheap but definitely worth it. Today I got to use my knife for the first time and I was delighted about cutting perfect slices of tomatoes and red onions for burgers.

After yesterday’s match, the tequila was definitely needed and since I’m off until
Tuesday I made the most of it ;)

A very heavy day and night in Mexico sounds like a song. One day I must hear the story behind the stomach turning tequila lol

Had a pack of frozen vegetable spring rolls, instructions on the pack were to shallow or deep fry, instead I gave them a light spray of sunflower oil and oven baked them for 25mins, put a drip of soy sauce on them and they were superb.
By the way happy birthday to @Sassy Colombian, all the very best.
That’s a good trick, I bet they were still nice and crispy. My daughter and I love vegetable spring rolls and lumpia too. Have you ever tried those?

Thanks for the birthday message too @larbert toffee

That’s a good trick, I bet they were still nice and crispy. My daughter and I love vegetable spring rolls and lumpia too. Have you ever tried those?

Thanks for the birthday message too @larbert toffee
Unfortunately that's the one thing the rolls were not crispy, perhaps more oil or higher temperature? I had them at 180, but the filling was perfect and tbh they were still nice.
No haven't tried lumpa you would need to enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back