Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

A picture speaks 1000 words. Okay, I'm going to give them a try, you have convinced me.

Btw, I have never tried a trifle. Thanks for sharing that recipe the other day.
Because I didn't have the necessary social skills at the time, when I was younger* and told 'help yourself to trifle - honestly, as much as you like' I had the whole lot.

Being trifle ill is a bit unpleasant. I learned my limits that day**.

* I was around 19
** 3/4 of a trifle

Who cares about fancy when there is pork involved lol

Yum, you have a nice variety of items. We grilled chicken wings last weekend with a chipotle BBQ sauce and they were out of this world. We also had pork sausages so tasty those piglets are.
A while back I did a thread about the tastiest animal. I think pig topped the list.

Because I didn't have the necessary social skills at the time, when I was younger* and told 'help yourself to trifle - honestly, as much as you like' I had the whole lot.

Being trifle ill is a bit unpleasant. I learned my limits that day**.

* I was around 19
** 3/4 of a trifle
Then I should think about you and about knowing the limits when I devour my first trifle. I love sweets so I can go over my limits at times too

Live and learn lol

Super easy Keto recipe @Death

Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

05AB6479-AB3E-4FEC-B888-A91F906DC26F.webp

Ingredients​

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 4 large portobello mushroom caps
  • 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and excess water removed
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 small yellow onion diced
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 jar marinara sauce or homemade tomato sauce

Instructions​

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic

Place mushroom caps in a large, zipper seal plastic bag and add the olive oil marinade. Seal the bag and flip it over a few times to distribute the marinade over the mushrooms. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place marinated mushrooms stem side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes.

Sauté onion for 5 minutes until translucent.

Prepare the filling by combining spinach, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and sautéed onion in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove the mushrooms from the oven and flip. Divide the spinach filling over the mushrooms, then pour marinara sauce in a baking dish place stuffed mushrooms on top of the sauce

Return the mushrooms to the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

Serve warm with a green salad or your other favorite sides

Sous Vide For The People
So, Sous vide (water bath) is the stuff of Great British Menu, high end fancy dining places and pretentious Masterchef contestants right? Well that's what I thought until I saw a product from Anova that means you can achieve the same results but at a fraction of the price

Basically it's this sous vide stick that will accurately control the temperature of the water , which is what's it all about. You can clamp it to a large saucepan or in my case a cheap storage box from B&Q

Now, I said it's affordable but that really depends on your budget, the anova is around £90 but for a hobbiest cook like myself I was willing to pay that price. You don't necessarily need a vacuum sealer, you can use a ziplock bag and squeeze the air out yourself but the vacuum sealer makes it a lot easier and you can use it for bagging up stuff for the Freezer . Vacuum sealers are around £50 on Amazon. Which makes the total outlay £140

Is it worth it? In my view is yes. If you're into cooking and what to try new things. So far i've used it for short ribs, steak, Lamb and pork .. the stuff that comes out is meltingly tender, even the toughest cuts. The beauty of this is , because it's in a bag it loses no flavour and you can just leave it sitting there cooking away and not have to worry about it. I've also used it for whole pears in white wine and vanilla and that came out amazing , just tastes of intensified Pear

View attachment 125030

I used it at the weekend just gone, took some beef short ribs, applied a rub, bagged them up , put them in the water bath for 48hrs, then finished them on the BBQ and applied a BBQ glaze (Ketchup, Soy, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and 150 Ml from a can of coke) . First time I tried a 2 day cook I was thinking what a faff but really you can just forget about it, just check before you go to bed or out that the water level is topped up

View attachment 125031

View attachment 125032

Oh and I apologise for what might be the most Middle Class Post ever on GOT
Good lad. Sous vide rocks. I was thinking of getting a domestic rigg like the ANOVA, but I wasn't sure how long they would last in the hands of someone who would have it working all week.

Regarding brine/salting, vac'ing allows for a lot more precision and control. For bacon, I use only 20g of salt per kg, but older methods used far far more and longer exposure just to make sure, and it took a lot of experience to get it just right.

Good lad. Sous vide rocks. I was thinking of getting a domestic rigg like the ANOVA, but I wasn't sure how long they would last in the hands of someone who would have it working all week.

Regarding brine/salting, vac'ing allows for a lot more precision and control. For bacon, I use only 20g of salt per kg, but older methods used far far more and longer exposure just to make sure, and it took a lot of experience to get it just right.
I've had mine for 3 years no problems with it, I do worry sometimes as I live in a hard water area , so limescale can form on the heating element. I don't use it every week though

I've had mine for 3 years no problems with it, I do worry sometimes as I live in a hard water area , so limescale can form on the heating element. I don't use it every week though
Cheers, not bad for the outlay (the pro ones used to be about 800quid way back). Is that just an element, or does it circulate too?

Super easy Keto recipe @Death

Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

View attachment 125247

Ingredients​

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 4 large portobello mushroom caps
  • 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and excess water removed
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 small yellow onion diced
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 jar marinara sauce or homemade tomato sauce

Instructions​

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic

Place mushroom caps in a large, zipper seal plastic bag and add the olive oil marinade. Seal the bag and flip it over a few times to distribute the marinade over the mushrooms. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place marinated mushrooms stem side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes.

Sauté onion for 5 minutes until translucent.

Prepare the filling by combining spinach, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and sautéed onion in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove the mushrooms from the oven and flip. Divide the spinach filling over the mushrooms, then pour marinara sauce in a baking dish place stuffed mushrooms on top of the sauce

Return the mushrooms to the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

Serve warm with a green salad or your other favorite sides

Genuine question . I only see this in recipes in the US, what is Kosher Salt , what makes it different from, erm, normal salt, rock or Sea Salt .. does it need to blessed by a Rabbi or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back