Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you making Christmas cake tomorrow for a special occasion or just to indulge yourself? lol
It's for Christmas. lol The earlier you make it the better it matures. You dribble alcohol into it every couple of weeks or so. Takes about four hours in the oven at a very low temperature. I use my mother's recipe, but most are similar. I don't have nuts and use Royal icing for the top and sides. Here's an example sans icing :

It's for Christmas. lol The earlier you make it the better it matures. You dribble alcohol into it every couple of weeks or so. Takes about four hours in the oven at a very low temperature. I use my mother's recipe, but most are similar. I don't have nuts and use Royal icing for the top and sides. Here's an example sans icing :

I was wondering if it was indeed for Christmas. In Colombia we make a traditional Christmas cake that also takes weeks to make and as it ages it gets more delicious. Have you posted your mum’s recipe here before? You have inspired me to make one. What alcohol do you use?

I was wondering if it was indeed for Christmas. In Colombia we make a traditional Christmas cake that also takes weeks to make and as it ages it gets more delicious. Have you posted your mum’s recipe here before? You have inspired me to make one. What alcohol do you use?
It's traditionally brandy, but I use sloe gin. Is your Christmas cake a fruit cake ?

It's traditionally brandy, but I use sloe gin. Is your Christmas cake a fruit cake ?
Gin is not my favorite alcohol so I’m going to use brandy.

The Colombian Christmas cake has raisins but it is a black cake.

Here is a good recipe.

Gin is not my favorite alcohol so I’m going to use brandy.

The Colombian Christmas cake has raisins but it is a black cake.

Here is a good recipe.

Looks delicious that Sassy - might be time for a change this Christmas!

It is super tasty. My grandma used to make it but I have never ventured but @summerisle has inspired me. So I may make the Colombian type and the one he makes if he is generous enough to share his mother’s recipe. He and @Barnfred 55 are.playing hard about sharing their families recipes here :(
By popular demand, well from Sassy anyway, here is my Nan's recipe for cheese and onion on toast. This comes with a severe health warning and under no circumstances partake more frequently than once a month.

Add some vegetable oil to a large frying pan. Add half a medium onion, finely diced and fry for a couple of minutes. Add two rashers of diced unsmoked bacon and stir fry for another couple of minutes. Add around 100g of diced white button mushrooms and continue to stir fry until mushrooms are soft. Add two diced spring onions (scallions) and half a medium sized tomato finely diced. Continue frying until all ingredients are soft, season with lots of pepper and some mixed dry herbs, then add plenty of splashes of the special ingredient, Worcester Sauce. Add around 200g of grated full fat hard cheese, Red Leicester is the best if you can get it, (not sure what the equivalent is in the US) and continue to fry until the cheese is fully melted, then put to one side. If the cheese seems a bit stringy add a dash of milk to the mixture which should sort it out.

Lightly toast and butter 4-5 slices of toasting bread. Add the cheese mixture ensuring that it is evenly spread across the toast, then place under a hot grill for 2 minutes to finish off. Serves 2 hungry people.

Enjoy

By popular demand, well from Sassy anyway, here is my Nan's recipe for cheese and onion on toast. This comes with a severe health warning and under no circumstances partake more frequently than once a month.

Add some vegetable oil to a large frying pan. Add half a medium onion, finely diced and fry for a couple of minutes. Add two rashers of diced unsmoked bacon and stir fry for another couple of minutes. Add around 100g of diced white button mushrooms and continue to stir fry until mushrooms are soft. Add two diced spring onions (scallions) and half a medium sized tomato finely diced. Continue frying until all ingredients are soft, season with lots of pepper and some mixed dry herbs, then add plenty of splashes of the special ingredient, Worcester Sauce. Add around 200g of grated full fat hard cheese, Red Leicester is the best if you can get it, (not sure what the equivalent is in the US) and continue to fry until the cheese is fully melted, then put to one side. If the cheese seems a bit stringy add a dash of milk to the mixture which should sort it out.

Lightly toast and butter 4-5 slices of toasting bread. Add the cheese mixture ensuring that it is evenly spread across the toast, then place under a hot grill for 2 minutes to finish off. Serves 2 hungry people.

Enjoy
Here it is folks!

I feel my life is now complete. Thank you mate :)

I'm not sure my doctors will be offering the same but sod him, he doesn't know that he was born!

EDIT: Technically speaking, yes, he obviously knows that he was because of his training.

Enjoy
Or a scooby snack for just me.

Will try it out Fred, sounds tasty if a little hard on the arteries.

Enjoy
That sounds awesome. I'm going to give that a go.

Enjoy
INGREDIENTS:
Butter (25g)
Flour (25g)
Pale ale (150ml)
2 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
Mature cheddar cheese, grated (200g)
1 tsp of wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp of double cream
1 egg yolk
1 loaf of sour dough bread

METHOD:
1. Grab a small pan and stick it over a medium heat.
2. Melt the butter, then beat in the flour to make a roux.
3. Stir in the beer a little at a time to keep the mixture smooth.
4. Bubble for 2 minutes to get rid of any raw flour taste.
5. Spoon in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg yolk and pour in the double cream.
6. Add the grated cheese slowly, allowing it all to melt in.
7. Preheat the grill to high.
8. Slice the loaf into pieces about 2cm thick.
9. Place the bread slices on a tray and grill for a few minutes, until one side is golden brown and crisp.
10. Turn the slices over and pour the thick cheese sauce over the un-toasted side of the bread and spread it to the edges, then stick them back under the grill.
11. Grill for a few minutes, until the surface of the cheese is blistering and bubbling. Serve and enjoy.
12. Go to the hospital.

Enjoy
I'm delighted that you have shared your Nan's recipe with us. I guarantee you that it is in good hands with your fellow Blues and we appreciate your gesture ?

INGREDIENTS:
Butter (25g)
Flour (25g)
Pale ale (150ml)
2 tbsp of double cream
1 egg yolk

METHOD:
5. Spoon in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg yolk and pour in the double cream.
9. Place the bread slices on a tray and grill for a few minutes, until one side is golden brown and crisp.
10. Turn the slices over and pour the thick cheese sauce over the un-toasted side of the bread and spread it to the edges, then stick them back under the grill.
11. Grill for a few minutes, until the surface of the cheese is blistering and bubbling. Serve and enjoy.
12. Go to the hospital.
I go fortunate today to not only get one but two recipes posted. I have to give this one a try too. Thanks for sharing it, darling! x

INGREDIENTS:
Butter (25g)
Flour (25g)
Pale ale (150ml)
2 tbsp of double cream
1 egg yolk

METHOD:
12. Go to the hospital.
Imagining what that tastes like it sounds like a Scottish version of Welsh Rarebit I had once in Killin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back