Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Those look delicious how they came out?
I cut them too thick so only a few came out as crisp crisps. It'd be handy to have a mandolin like this, but with thinner slices :

mandolin-slicer.jpg

One suggestion I found was to use the side of a grater, so I'll this next :

box-grater.jpg.optimal.jpg

Another couple of things - make sure the fat is hot enough, one tip I saw was to put the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil and if bubbles appear it's hot enough. I've got a cooking thermometer but will try this next time

I was thinking of making flavoured crisps, so, when you put the potato slices in water to get rid of the starch I might try adding a beef or chicken stock cube and let them soak overnight.

I cut them too thick so only a few came out as crisp crisps. It'd be handy to have a mandolin like this, but with thinner slices :

mandolin-slicer.jpg

Another couple of things - make sure the fat is hot enough, one tip I saw was to put the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil and if bubbles appear it's hot enough. I've got a cooking thermometer but will try this next time

I was thinking of making flavoured crisps, so, when you put the potato slices in water to get rid of the starch I might try adding a beef or chicken stock cube and let them soak overnight.
That won't work.
As for checking the oil, just put one slice in, if it rises and starts to erm 'fry' the oil is hot, but bear in mind the oik will cool down the more potato you out in.

mandolin-slicer.jpg

I need a better grater, mine will also cut the potatoes too thick. Flavoured crips sounds like a good project although my favorite ones are salt and vinegar, I guess letting the potatoes soaked overnight in vinegar may be the way to do those.

That won't work.
As for checking the oil, just put one slice in, if it rises and starts to erm 'fry' the oil is hot, but bear in mind the oik will cool down the more potato you out in.
What won't work, the spoon ? I saw it on a video, bubbles appeared. What I'll do is use my thermometer to get the correct temperature and then see if it works.

Aah, just a thought, looks like it's just salt and vinegar then.
You can flavour after they've fried, use a little blender or pestle and mortar to create a fine 'dust'. Bake a knorr chicken cube on a low light (or leave it in an oven overnight after you've switched it off) so it dries out and you can blend it with thyme, garlic powder, paprika yada yada...remember you can convert any flavours into any substance with the right kit, doesn't have to be all Blumenthal either ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back