Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can flavour after they've fried, use a little blender or pestle and mortar to create a fine 'dust'. Bake a knorr chicken cube on a low light (or leave it in an oven overnight after you've switched it off) so it dries out and you can blend it with thyme, garlic powder, paprika yada yada...remember you can convert any flavours into any substance with the right kit, doesn't have to be all Blumenthal either ?
baby-curious.gif

The chorizo I'm using comes in a casting and I was thinking about getting it out of it so it would be grounded. This is a local uncooked chorizo but now I'm wondering if I need to search for Spanish chorizo ?
Try slow cooking the chorizo first, let it cool, add grated at the end. Catch the oils to use from the start help with colour, and shells always create the best stock, so worth getting a few extra, but only simmer them with some herb stalks, maybe some leek, no onion, and for no more than 20-30 minutes

Try slow cooking the chorizo first, let it cool, add grated at the end. Catch the oils to use from the start help with colour, and shells always create the best stock, so worth getting a few extra, but only simmer them with some herb stalks, maybe some leek, no onion, and for no more than 20-30 minutes
Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully I will be successful with tomorrow's paella.

@Sassy Colombian Although it's not in the Valencian recipe I also like chorizo in paella. Unfortunately I have never attempted cooking paella myself so can not offer any tips. People seem to say that the type of rice is important ("Bomba") and using a good quality saffron. Good luck and buen provecho.

In Valencia they also do a delicious version with short pasta called fideuà which uses very short pasta instead of rice.

@Sassy Colombian Although it's not in the Valencian recipe I also like chorizo in paella. Unfortunately I have never attempted cooking paella myself so can not offer any tips. People seem to say that the type of rice is important ("Bomba") and using a good quality saffron. Good luck and buen provecho.

In Valencia they also do a delicious version with short pasta called fideuà which uses very short pasta instead of rice.

@John BCN Thanks so much for sharing your tips and this video. I am a chorizo fan, here in the US there are various versions, the one I was thinking about using is a local one but I’m almost tempted to use a Colombian type of chorizo that’s similar to the Spanish one so that’s my conundrum at this moment. I also know that the quality of the rice makes a great difference, nothing worse than eating a paella with hard or too soggy rice. I have never attempted to make paella until today so I definitely need some good luck and if it comes right then it would turned out to be buen provecho lol

La paella valenciana sounds pretty tasty too and I would like to give it a try if I’m successful with today’s attempt.

@John BCN Thanks so much for sharing your tips and this video. I am a chorizo fan, here in the US there are various versions, the one I was thinking about using is a local one but I’m almost tempted to use a Colombian type of chorizo that’s similar to the Spanish one so that’s my conundrum at this moment. I also know that the quality of the rice makes a great difference, nothing worse than eating a paella with hard or too soggy rice. I have never attempted to make paella until today so I definitely need some good luck and if it comes right then it would turned out to be buen provecho lol

La paella valenciana sounds pretty tasty too and I would like to give it a try if I’m successful with today’s attempt.
Next time try substituting the rice with Fregola, a type of (Israeli iirc) small pasta. Quicker to cook which helps with the seafood/shellfish you choose.
Closer to Rissotto than Paella but Fregola is very adaptable.

Next time try substituting the rice with Fregola, a type of (Israeli iirc) small pasta. Quicker to cook which helps with the seafood/shellfish you choose.
Closer to Rissotto than Paella but Fregola is very adaptable.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmmmmm, I am going have to search for it locally because I have never heard of it or seen it at a store. I may have to order it online instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back