Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have enough space for potatoes but I wish I did. Do you have any good recipes for French beans? I have many at the moment.

This was my morning harvest. I also started some new seeds today so I can get a few more crops once autumn comes.

View attachment 134802

View attachment 134801

View attachment 134803
Look great Sass.

I just tend to keep it simple with French beans. I blanch them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then sauté them for 1-2 minutes in butter with a little chopped garlic.

Serve them as a side or with salad leaves, tomatoes and hard Boiled eggs (kinda like a salad nicoise with or without tuna /anchovies),

Your cucumbers look ace - I’ve tried for years to grow them, it’s just too cold here.

Look great Sass.

I just tend to keep it simple with French beans. I blanch them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes then sauté them for 1-2 minutes in butter with a little chopped garlic.

Serve them as a side or with salad leaves, tomatoes and hard Boiled eggs (kinda like a salad nicoise with or without tuna /anchovies),

Your cucumbers look ace - I’ve tried for years to grow them, it’s just too cold here.
Thanks!

Ha, that’s exactly the way I make my French beans although sometimes I use olive oil instead of butter. I also used them a couple of week ago when making a salad nicoise with tuna so it seems we are making similar recipes :)

Some years I have better luck with my cucumbers than others. This year only one of my plants survived but it has been very productive. I already gotten 6 cucumbers and there are many more growing so I got fortunate this year.

Look great Sass.

Thanks!

Ha, that’s exactly the way I make my French beans although sometimes I use olive oil instead of butter. I also used them a couple of week ago when making a salad nicoise with tuna so it seems we are making similar recipes :)

Some years I have better luck with my cucumbers than others. This year only one of my plants survived but it has been very productive. I already gotten 6 cucumbers and there are many more growing so I got fortunate this year.
Great tips for cooking beans. I've got some in pot out back (although the massive hail storm last week did not do them any good) and they are nearly there. Depends how I'm feeling or what I'm cooking but sometimes I blanch mine then add a little sesame oil and some toasted Sesame seeds. They also go well with chopped black olives, salt, pepper and olive oil

Great tips for cooking beans. I've got some in pot out back (although the massive hail storm last week did not do them any good) and they are nearly there. Depends how I'm feeling or what I'm cooking but sometimes I blanch mine then add a little sesame oil and some toasted Sesame seeds. They also go well with chopped black olives, salt, pepper and olive oil
Oh no, hopefully the hail storm didn’t damage your beans too bad and you are still be able to get a crop. I planted a new set of seeds this weekend and hope they still be able to make it before it gets cold.

I also like to add sesame oils and toasted seeds to my French beans but I have never had them along black olives so thanks for the suggestion.

Made some cheese, potato, onion and bacon pasties using this recipe, very simple to do and are delicious. I used quick flaky pastry, also simple to make. If you're using a block of butter/hard marg. (9 oz) use 11 oz of flour.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back