Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roasted Chickpeas mmm. I use them as a healthy snack when you have the induced munchies so to speak.
Tinned are ok, lightly dry them with kitchen roll, put them on a baking paper lined tray when using your over for something else to save power. Sprinkle with whatever when you take them out.
They keep sealed for 10 days or so, but never last that long.

Mrs degsy threw out my Tabasco because it was 2mths ffs, out of date. So I bought a new one...use by 2023.
I tried to explain...look 2 years, plus the time it was on the shelf or in storage after manufacture and you're worried about 2 kin mths.
Fell on deaf ears.
So I tried...if something was obviously off, yet the date said it was ok for 1 more day would you eat it then?
No, of course not.
If something was 1 day over yet obviously ok would you eat it or bin it
Bin it, its out of date
*sighs.
I like roasted chickpeas and I forget how easy they are to make. I was looking for a healthy snacks to take on our upcoming road trip to Florida and it seems I have found one.

My husband is very similar :Blink:

Prepping is a great strategy to make cooking simpler throughout the week and stay committed to a good diet.

The chickpeas roasted in cumin and paprika sound tasty. For how long do you roast them?

I like eating more salads during the summer so I would like to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing it!
Roasted them for 20 mins at 170C. They’re delicious but not crispy so next time I’d whack the heat up.

Prepping definitely makes life easier! Agreed re salads as well, at this time of year I want something substantial enough to keep me going but light at the same time.

I like roasted chickpeas and I forget how easy they are to make. I was looking for a healthy snacks to take on our upcoming road trip to Florida and it seems I have found one.

I was in the kitchen and I saw the Tabasco bottle, so I looked again and it wasn't 2023, it was 2025.
It's practically indestructible...and tastes good too

Just prepped lunches for the rest of the week at work. A chicken breast per day, plus a salad consisting of:

Cavalo Nero, sundried tomatoes, garlic, coriander, spring onions and a cheeky little splash of chilli sauce, and chickpeas roasted in cumin and paprika.

Low cal enough to fit in with my requirements and substantial enough that I won’t be biting the heads off the kids when I pick them up.
Can confirm this was an absolute banger. Defo needed the chicken. If you wanted to keep it veggie I'd suggest something like roasted cauliflower to bulk it out.

If you were a little more free and easy about the calories, a little crumble of feta might be nice, too.

It’s mixed in with all the other ingredients (chickpeas I kept separate for now) and some lemon juice, so it’ll be softened up by the time I come to scran it. Preliminary tasting suggests it’ll be an absolute banger though.

I get giddy with anticipation when I prep meals ahead, sad get that I am.
Nahh mate, not sad at all, I get a little enthusiastic when I've created something both tasty and that will last for several meals, my freezer is chock full of old take away tubs containing something batch cooked previously. With your salad I like the idea of it and might have attempt something similar (kudos for the inspiration) I might blanche or shred the nero instead (perhaps with a dressing). The chicken breasts did you roast them , as that seems the obvious choice, poaching them a little stock with herbs would work well and that means you can shred the chicken if you wanted to

I roasted some chickpeas the other week, went for dried , soaked overnight, simmered for two hours, drained, patted dry then roasted. It was part of this recipe I found the other week, which is a great Vegan dish ...Potato Olive Tagine

Here's my attempt
veganistas.webp

Nahh mate, not sad at all, I get a little enthusiastic when I've created something both tasty and that will last for several meals, my freezer is chock full of old take away tubs containing something batch cooked previously. With your salad I like the idea of it and might have attempt something similar (kudos for the inspiration) I might blanche or shred the nero instead (perhaps with a dressing). The chicken breasts did you roast them , as that seems the obvious choice, poaching them a little stock with herbs would work well and that means you can shred the chicken if you wanted to
Yeah I simply roasted the chicken. Bit of seasoning and a splash of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes (flavoured with garlic and oregano, so a bit tastier than plain old olive).

For dinner tonigh I made a cucumber and avocado gazpacho. I find it a very refreshing and filling summer soup. I made it with cucumbers from my mom’s veggie garden and cilantro from my herb garden.

C05DBA40-77FE-433D-AF37-E2137E5BFB85.jpeg

Cucumber and Avocado Gazpacho

• 2 English cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 2 ripe Hass avocados (about 6 oz. each), cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1/2 packed cup chopped fresh cilantro; more as needed
  • 1/2 shallot or red onio
  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6-8 oz of water (depending on how tick you want the soup)
  • 1-1/2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar; more as needed
  • 1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
  • Toasted almonds
  • Diced avocado
  • Chopped cilantro

• In a blender, combine the cucumbers, avocados, onion, cilantro, oil, vinegar, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, water. Blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
  • Just before serving, taste the soup and thin it with more ice water to your desired consistency, if needed. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve the soup cold, drizzled with a little oil and topped with the toasted almonds, diced avocado, chopped cilantro.

Easy to do and delicious. I used plum jam, and they're also lovely with lemon curd. I find it's best to make hole a little wider as the jam tends to erupt like a volcano with a smaller one. You can also make a hole, put the jam in and cover it with the remaining dough so the jam will be in the middle of the bun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back