Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, I knew some of these timelines were going to be up for debate and I'm glad because I keep my soy sauce for months open and I thought it was okay.

However, let me ask you for how long do you keep jam open before tossing it. How about you @summerisle?
I have unopened jars that I made three years' ago. lol
Opened jam lasts ages because of the high sugar content.

I have unopened jars that I made three years' ago. lol
Opened jam lasts ages because of the high sugar content.
That's exactly what I thought but then yesterday I was preparing my daughter some toast with butter and jam only to realize that it had mold but it had been open for less than two months so I was disappointed to put in the trash as it was almost full. Not sure why it happened or what I did wrong :(

That's exactly what I thought but then yesterday I was preparing my daughter some toast with butter and jam only to realize that it had mold but it had been open for less than two months so I was disappointed to put in the trash as it was almost full. Not sure why it happened or what I did wrong :(
Poor lid seal most likely, scrape the mold off, it's only mouldy on the top, good to go.

Hahaha, I knew some of these timelines were going to be up for debate and I'm glad because I keep my soy sauce for months open and I thought it was okay.

However, let me ask you for how long do you keep jam open before tossing it. How about you @summerisle?
I think I made a PB&J sammich...like 7 months ago? And that had been in there for about a year before that at least?

and it's still in there.

Just prepped lunches for the rest of the week at work. A chicken breast per day, plus a salad consisting of:

Cavalo Nero, sundried tomatoes, garlic, coriander, spring onions and a cheeky little splash of chilli sauce, and chickpeas roasted in cumin and paprika.

Low cal enough to fit in with my requirements and substantial enough that I won’t be biting the heads off the kids when I pick them up.

View attachment 133001

Based on this article once you open a condiment the expiration date becomes irrelevant and instead they suggest the timeline below.

The timelines mentioned here all refer to refrigeration, but items that can be stored around room temp in the pantry are noted as well.

Bottled barbecue sauce: 4 months

Canned cranberry sauce: 1-2 weeks

Honey: 2 years in pantry

Balsamic vinaigrette: 18 months

Cooked gravy: 1-2 days

Horseradish: 3-4 months

Hoisin sauce: 3-6 months

Jams, jellies, and preserves: 6-12 months

Ketchup, cocktail, or chili sauce: 6 months

Cream-based sauces: 6-12 months

Chocolate syrup: 6 months

Maple syrup: 1 year (in the pantry)

Store-bought mayonnaise: 2 months

Mustard: 1 year

Jarred black and green olives: 2 weeks

Pesto: 3 days

Salad dressing vinaigrette: 4 weeks

Relish: 9 months

Salsa: 9-12 months (in pantry)

Soy sauce/teriyaki sauce: 1 month

Jarred spaghetti sauce: 4 days

Vinegar: 2 years (in the pantry)

Worcestershire sauce: 1 year (in the pantry)

More generally, see here:

A food technology teacher I used to know was pretty laid back about use by dates. She said trust your nose and cook things thoroughly!! I am not that chilled I have to say!
Girl I work with lashes stuff if it’s past the best before/use by date. We’ve got eyes and noses for a reason. I’ve seen curdled in-date milk and I’ve had perfectly fine stuff days past its date. Can’t be doing with waste, me.

Just prepped lunches for the rest of the week at work. A chicken breast per day, plus a salad consisting of:

Cavalo Nero, sundried tomatoes, garlic, coriander, spring onions and a cheeky little splash of chilli sauce, and chickpeas roasted in cumin and paprika.

Low cal enough to fit in with my requirements and substantial enough that I won’t be biting the heads off the kids when I pick them up.
Sounds great , you having the Nero raw?

Sounds great , you having the Nero raw?
It’s mixed in with all the other ingredients (chickpeas I kept separate for now) and some lemon juice, so it’ll be softened up by the time I come to scran it. Preliminary tasting suggests it’ll be an absolute banger though.

I get giddy with anticipation when I prep meals ahead, sad get that I am.

Yumm sounds great
I might try that salad but flip a steamed salmon fillet in place of the chicken for variety

Roasted Chickpeas mmm. I use them as a healthy snack when you have the induced munchies so to speak.
Tinned are ok, lightly dry them with kitchen roll, put them on a baking paper lined tray when using your over for something else to save power. Sprinkle with whatever when you take them out.
They keep sealed for 10 days or so, but never last that long.

Mrs degsy threw out my Tabasco because it was 2mths ffs, out of date. So I bought a new one...use by 2023.
I tried to explain...look 2 years, plus the time it was on the shelf or in storage after manufacture and you're worried about 2 kin mths.
Fell on deaf ears.
So I tried...if something was obviously off, yet the date said it was ok for 1 more day would you eat it then?
No, of course not.
If something was 1 day over yet obviously ok would you eat it or bin it
Bin it, its out of date
*sighs.

Prepping is a great strategy to make cooking simpler throughout the week and stay committed to a good diet.

The chickpeas roasted in cumin and paprika sound tasty. For how long do you roast them?

I like eating more salads during the summer so I would like to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back