Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look like a tasty dish of comfort food. I have never eaten Sag Aloo and would love to learn how you make yours. Recipe or GTFO ;) x

Ingredients​

• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 tbsp chopped ginger
  • 500g potato, cut into 2cm (¾in) chunks
  • 1 large red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely sliced
  • ½ tsp each black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric
  • 250g spinach leaves

Method​

• STEP 1
    Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a large pan, add 1 finely chopped onion, 2 sliced garlic cloves and 1 tbsp chopped ginger, and fry for about 3 mins.
  • STEP 2
    Stir in 500g potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks, 1 halved, deseeded and finely sliced red chilli, ½ tsp black mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp turmeric and ½ tsp salt and continue cooking and stirring for 5 mins more.
  • STEP 3
    Add a splash of water, cover, and cook for 8-10 mins.
  • STEP 4
    Check the potatoes are ready by spearing with the point of a knife, and if they are, add 250g spinach leaves and let it wilt into the pan. Take off the heat and serve.
There is a wonderful British Indian cook called Chetna who has a successful you tube channel … if you want to cook authentic Indian food she is sweet and passionate about cooking … here is a link to her sag aloo too

Ingredients​

• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 tbsp chopped ginger
  • 500g potato, cut into 2cm (¾in) chunks
  • 1 large red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely sliced
  • ½ tsp each black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric
  • 250g spinach leaves

Method​

• STEP 1
    Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a large pan, add 1 finely chopped onion, 2 sliced garlic cloves and 1 tbsp chopped ginger, and fry for about 3 mins.
  • STEP 2
    Stir in 500g potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks, 1 halved, deseeded and finely sliced red chilli, ½ tsp black mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp turmeric and ½ tsp salt and continue cooking and stirring for 5 mins more.
  • STEP 3
    Add a splash of water, cover, and cook for 8-10 mins.
  • STEP 4
    Check the potatoes are ready by spearing with the point of a knife, and if they are, add 250g spinach leaves and let it wilt into the pan. Take off the heat and serve.
There is a wonderful British Indian cook called Chetna who has a successful you tube channel … if you want to cook authentic Indian food she is sweet and passionate about cooking … here is a link to her sag aloo too

Thanks, mate! I knew I could count on you❤️

Seems super simple to make so I have taken a screenshot and put it on my recipe folder. Will check Chetna out too, I don’t cook Indian food as often but I’m always willing to learn new recipes.

Thanks, mate! I knew I could count on you❤️

Seems super simple to make so I have taken a screenshot and put it on my recipe folder. Will check Chetna out too, I don’t cook Indian food as often but I’m always willing to learn new recipes.
Watch Chetna cook it … it’s basically the same as the recipe I use but if you don’t cook much Indian food she will show you the way it’s done …

So here's something I've never quite understood. "Bring to a boil, add (whatever) and boil for 10minutes". Let's say I'm making raviolis or even pasta. Adding the (whatever) to boiling water brings the water temp down. When a recipe calls for "boil for X minutes" are they saying to count 10 minutes from adding whatever to boiling water or are they saying to bring it BACK to a boil then start counting?

So here's something I've never quite understood. "Bring to a boil, add (whatever) and boil for 10minutes". Let's say I'm making raviolis or even pasta. Adding the (whatever) to boiling water brings the water temp down. When a recipe calls for "boil for X minutes" are they saying to count 10 minutes from adding whatever to boiling water or are they saying to bring it BACK to a boil then start counting?
The way I understand it, and do it, is counting the whatever x minutes once adding it to the water. I never let it boil again and start counting. But let's hear from other thread contributors because now I'm curious whether I'm doing it wrong @Tommy. @Diogenes the Cynic @verreauxi @Spadge Vernacular @summerisle @fandjango what's your say?

In my humble opinion add to the boiling water and start the count then
To befair boiling is not an exact science unless you have absolute control over the start temperature of what you’re boiling …
I “boil” my eggs in my Ninja Foodie without water
Perfect control …, so long as I can control the start temperature of the eggs ! So I keep them in the fridge

In my humble opinion add to the boiling water and start the count then
To befair boiling is not an exact science unless you have absolute control over the start temperature of what you’re boiling …
I “boil” my eggs in my Ninja Foodie without water
Perfect control …, so long as I can control the start temperature of the eggs ! So I keep them in the fridge
Thanks for your humble opinion, it is always appreciate it!

The way I understand it, and do it, is counting the whatever x minutes once adding it to the water. I never let it boil again and start counting. But let's hear from other thread contributors because now I'm curious whether I'm doing it wrong @Tommy. @Diogenes the Cynic @verreauxi @Spadge Vernacular @summerisle @fandjango what's your say?
If we are talking about pasta, for it to be done properly it needs to be cooked as quickly as possible. This means boiling the water, once boiling add salt to raise the temperature then add the pasta keeping the heat high. Taste test for the required consistency, best with a bit of bite. For Punto Verde as the Italians call it, you should have a slightly paler vein in the centre for this but once you are used to cooking this way the bite test is enough.

Different pasta types have different cook times so refer to the makers guide for an approximate but you can visually see when it turns.

Apologies if you weren't talking about pasta :/

If we are talking about pasta, for it to be done properly it needs to be cooked as quickly as possible. This means boiling the water, once boiling add salt to raise the temperature then add the pasta keeping the heat high. Taste test for the required consistency, best with a bit of bite. For Punto Verde as the Italians call it, you should have a slightly paler vein in the centre for this but once you are used to cooking this way the bite test is enough.

Different pasta types have different cook times so refer to the makers guide for an approximate but you can visually see when it turns.

Apologies if you weren't talking about pasta :/
I was just talking in general. I've always been confused by it overall. Cook time of 6 minutes with boiling water takes 8-9 sometimes so it never made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back