Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just talking in general. I've always been confused by it overall. Cook time of 6 minutes with boiling water takes 8-9 sometimes so it never made sense.
Ah, ok. Just keep in mind that with pasta you want it in and out of the water as quickly as possible to avoid it going mushy, so only add it to boiling water.

The way I understand it, and do it, is counting the whatever x minutes once adding it to the water. I never let it boil again and start counting. But let's hear from other thread contributors because now I'm curious whether I'm doing it wrong @Tommy. @Diogenes the Cynic @verreauxi @Spadge Vernacular @summerisle @fandjango what's your say?
I hadn't thought about this, but I do it your way: I bring to boil and even if I'm throwing in, for example frozen ravioli, I'd just start counting when I threw it in, not when it started boiling again.

If we are talking about pasta, for it to be done properly it needs to be cooked as quickly as possible. This means boiling the water, once boiling add salt to raise the temperature then add the pasta keeping the heat high. Taste test for the required consistency, best with a bit of bite. For Punto Verde as the Italians call it, you should have a slightly paler vein in the centre for this but once you are used to cooking this way the bite test is enough.

Different pasta types have different cook times so refer to the makers guide for an approximate but you can visually see when it turns.

Apologies if you weren't talking about pasta :/
Thanks for the response @Spadge Vernacular it seems I’m doing my pasta correctly.

BTW, I got all the ingredients to make Malfatti later this week, I will let you know how it comes out.

The way I understand it, and do it, is counting the whatever x minutes once adding it to the water. I never let it boil again and start counting. But let's hear from other thread contributors because now I'm curious whether I'm doing it wrong @Tommy. @Diogenes the Cynic @verreauxi @Spadge Vernacular @summerisle @fandjango what's your say?

When you boil it for a set amount of time that doesn't include the "bringing to heat" period otherwise you aren't boiling it for that period.

I can see the confusion but I've personally never done otherwise.

So here's something I've never quite understood. "Bring to a boil, add (whatever) and boil for 10minutes". Let's say I'm making raviolis or even pasta. Adding the (whatever) to boiling water brings the water temp down. When a recipe calls for "boil for X minutes" are they saying to count 10 minutes from adding whatever to boiling water or are they saying to bring it BACK to a boil then start counting?

Sorry, I see your point now, add it to boiling water, that's it.
It will lower the temp a little bit but nothing to really effect change for too long.

Mini fruit sponge cakes, very nice, very eatable.
I quadrupled the fruit content and soaked it overnight in cold tea (could use alcohol if you wish), it pumps the fruit up lovely. I also doubled the quantity of the other ingredients and have frozen twelve of the cakes.

Screenshot_20210711-074105.webp

Based on this article once you open a condiment the expiration date becomes irrelevant and instead they suggest the timeline below.

The timelines mentioned here all refer to refrigeration, but items that can be stored around room temp in the pantry are noted as well.

Bottled barbecue sauce: 4 months

Canned cranberry sauce: 1-2 weeks

Honey: 2 years in pantry

Balsamic vinaigrette: 18 months

Cooked gravy: 1-2 days

Horseradish: 3-4 months

Hoisin sauce: 3-6 months

Jams, jellies, and preserves: 6-12 months

Ketchup, cocktail, or chili sauce: 6 months

Cream-based sauces: 6-12 months

Chocolate syrup: 6 months

Maple syrup: 1 year (in the pantry)

Store-bought mayonnaise: 2 months

Mustard: 1 year

Jarred black and green olives: 2 weeks

Pesto: 3 days

Salad dressing vinaigrette: 4 weeks

Relish: 9 months

Salsa: 9-12 months (in pantry)

Soy sauce/teriyaki sauce: 1 month

Jarred spaghetti sauce: 4 days

Vinegar: 2 years (in the pantry)

Worcestershire sauce: 1 year (in the pantry)

As I have an abundance of mint at the moment I think I'll give this a try, drizzled over ice cream.

Me too! Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm not big on mint and chocolate together but my daughter is so I am going it a try and make the most of my mint.

View attachment 133001

Based on this article once you open a condiment the expiration date becomes irrelevant and instead they suggest the timeline below.

The timelines mentioned here all refer to refrigeration, but items that can be stored around room temp in the pantry are noted as well.

I keep pesto much longer than that though!!!! I must admit I think our fridge is pretty good so I tend to be a bit careless so far as precise rules are concerned!! Not poisoned anyone yet, so far as I know!

Me too! Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm not big on mint and chocolate together but my daughter is so I am going it a try and make the most of my mint.
It might work with other herbs, just had a quick look and this seems interesting.

View attachment 133001

Yeah, I keep ALLLLL of these considerably longer than what is on here. I have mustard from a couple years ago in my fridge. I use it about once every 3 months or so when I have a hankering for some pretzels. That's about it. Soy sauce as 1 month? WTF is that crap?? Who uses THAT much soy sauce you're meant to go through a bottle in a month!

I keep pesto much longer than that though!!!! I must admit I think our fridge is pretty good so I tend to be a bit careless so far as precise rules are concerned!! Not poisoned anyone yet, so far as I know!
Tbh, I do too. I have yet to poison anyone but given the timelines on that article it seems I could have done so already lol

It might work with other herbs, just had a quick look and this seems interesting.

Hmmmmmm rosemary and chocolate seems like a very interesting partnership and one that I may want to pursue lol Plus I also have rosemary in my garden although not as vast as the mint.

Yeah, I keep ALLLLL of these considerably longer than what is on here. I have mustard from a couple years ago in my fridge. I use it about once every 3 months or so when I have a hankering for some pretzels. That's about it. Soy sauce as 1 month? WTF is that crap?? Who uses THAT much soy sauce you're meant to go through a bottle in a month!
Hahaha, I knew some of these timelines were going to be up for debate and I'm glad because I keep my soy sauce for months open and I thought it was okay.

However, let me ask you for how long do you keep jam open before tossing it. How about you @summerisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back