Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a braised steak recipe I sort of made up as I went along but is quite possibly the tastiest dish i have ever made. I used 400g of braising steak which is enough for 2 meals.

400g Braising steak
1 large onion sliced
100g button mushrooms sliced thinly
2 tomatoes segmented and diced
400ml of beef stock.
1tbs of tomato puree
1 tbs bovril
1 tsp mixed dry herbs
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
vegetable oil

In a large frying pan brown off the meat and transfer to a pre heated casserole dish
In same pan fry the onion until soft adding the mushrooms near the end. Tranafer to casserole dish.
Add the tomatoes, bovril, tomato puree, herbs, seasoning and beef stock and give a good stir.
Cook covered in oven at 160 C for around 90 minutes
Mix together the cornflour and mustard with some water. Add to the dish and cook uncovered at 200 C for a further 30 minutes. By this stage the steak should be soft and the gravy nice and thick.

Serve with either mashed potato, chips or crusty rolls. @Armaghtoffee I think you asked to be tagged in to this.
Much appreciated Fred. For house taste I will substitute the mushrooms for carrots and give it a go ?

Fish finger pie
Frozen fish fingers
One onion
Cheese
Cambells condensed celery soup

Lay the frozen fish fingers in dish
Cut up onion lay over fish fingers
Spread the soup over
Grate cheese on top
Oven 180 50mins

Serve with chips or veg
For those saying haha try it then come back and say you didn’t like it

Made a quick and yummy pasta last night:

Sauteed a tin of anchovies in olive oil with some garlic (break up the anchovies into tiny tiny bits with a spatula).
Added butter, cream, and a bit of chicken stock and let simmer
Tossed in al dente pasta
Then added in a small jar of capers and tons of fresh lemon juice.
Let the pasta cook in that for a bit
Then took off heat and tossed in a bunch of fresh parsley (salt/pepper to taste)

Last edited:
Outrageous !
*eats more tripe

What's so great about food from Romania ?

FUmcSTmWUAEbamm

I make this rather tasty pasta bake with chicken and smoked sausage as the main component (It's essentially a Bolognese sauce with the minced beef/pork replaced with aforementioned chicken & sausage)

I have found while exploring the Polish food aisle that their smoked sausage is vastly superior to the Italians' if you are looking to lean more into the smokey flavor in your dish! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back