Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a braised steak recipe I sort of made up as I went along but is quite possibly the tastiest dish i have ever made. I used 400g of braising steak which is enough for 2 meals.

400g Braising steak
1 large onion sliced
100g button mushrooms sliced thinly
2 tomatoes segmented and diced
400ml of beef stock.
1tbs of tomato puree
1 tbs bovril
1 tsp mixed dry herbs
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
vegetable oil

In a large frying pan brown off the meat and transfer to a pre heated casserole dish
In same pan fry the onion until soft adding the mushrooms near the end. Tranafer to casserole dish.
Add the tomatoes, bovril, tomato puree, herbs, seasoning and beef stock and give a good stir.
Cook covered in oven at 160 C for around 90 minutes
Mix together the cornflour and mustard with some water. Add to the dish and cook uncovered at 200 C for a further 30 minutes. By this stage the steak should be soft and the gravy nice and thick.

Serve with either mashed potato, chips or crusty rolls. @Armaghtoffee I think you asked to be tagged in to this.
Sounds yummy and simple to make so I’m adding to my recipe list. Thanks for sharing it. Xxx

Made some cherry rock cakes today - super easy and tasy, chocolate ones are also very nice.

6oz self raising flour
3oz butter/hard Mary
2oz caster sugar/demerara sugar
4oz halved glacè cherries
A negg
2-4 tablespoons of milk

Rub the butter/marg in the flour until like breadcrumbs, or just cheat like I did and use a food processor, then add cherries. Beat egg and half the milk and add to mixture. Mix with your hands until combined and sticky (add extra milk if needed.
Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, drop heaped tablespoons of mixture on t'tray. Leave gaps because they do spread whilst cooking. Bung in preheated oven 180/160 fan/gas mark 4 for about 15-20 mins. Check them, and when there's still a little give on the top take 'em out, because they do firm up when out of the oven. Eat three straight away with a cup of tea.

Made some cherry rock cakes today - super easy and tasy, chocolate ones are also very nice.

6oz self raising flour
3oz butter/hard Mary
2oz caster sugar/demerara sugar
4oz halved glacè cherries
A negg
2-4 tablespoons of milk

Rub the butter/marg in the flour until like breadcrumbs, or just cheat like I did and use a food processor, then add cherries. Beat egg and half the milk and add to mixture. Mix with your hands until combined and sticky (add extra milk if needed.
Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, drop heaped tablespoons of mixture on t'tray. Leave gaps because they do spread whilst cooking. Bung in preheated oven 180/160 fan/gas mark 4 for about 15-20 mins. Check them, and when there's still a little give on the top take 'em out, because they do firm up when out of the oven. Eat three straight away with a cup of tea.
These cakes sound simple and tasty, but what are glacé cherries?

These cakes sound simple and tasty, but what are glacé cherries?
Cherries sticky with syrup. You can use any dried fruit.

DSC_0802-2.jpg

Btw, do you have a good butter or olive oil recipe? I still have some stuff from last summer’s crop that I want to use for it.
To properly make cannabutter, follow these steps.

Step 1: Decarboxylation​

It’s important to bake cannabis before making cannabutter.

In its raw form, it contains tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), which are the inactive versions of THC and CBD (2Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).

By heating these compounds, they undergo decarboxylation — also known as decarbing — and become the active compounds THC and CBD (2Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).

To activate THC and CBD, preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C) and place 1/2-ounce (14 grams) of cannabis onto a baking sheet. Allow it to cook for approximately 30–40 minutes.

If you’re using fresh cannabis, you may need to let it cook for up to 1 hour. Conversely, if you’re using older, drier cannabis, shorten the cooking time to around 20 minutes.

Be sure to stir and rotate the cannabis every 10 minutes to prevent burning. You will know it’s decarboxylated when its color changes from a bright green to a dark brown-green.

Finally, make sure your oven does not exceed 240°F (115°C), as this can destroy important oil compounds called terpenes. These compounds are responsible for the smell, flavor, and medicinal effects of the plant (9Trusted Source).

Step 2: Stovetop cooking​

Once the cannabis has been activated, you need the following:

• 1/2 ounce (14 grams) decarboxylated cannabis
  • 2 cups (500 ml) of water
  • 2 sticks of butter (approximately 8 ounces or 225 grams)
  • 1 medium-sized saucepan with a lid
  • 1 wooden spoon
  • 2 cheese cloths
  • 1 medium-sized glass bowl or container
On very low heat, bring the water to a boil and then add the butter. Once the butter has completely melted, stir it well and add the cannabis to the mixture. Put the lid on and allow it to simmer for 3–4 hours.

Be sure to stir the mixture every 20–30 minutes to prevent burning. The mixture is done when it’s thick and glossy on the top.

Once it’s finished cooking, place two layers of cheesecloth over a glass bowl or container, pour the mixture onto the cheesecloth, and allow the liquid to drain through.

Let the remaining liquid cool at room temperature for 30–60 minutes, then place the bowl in the refrigerator until the butter has completely separated from the water and appears as a thick top layer.

Carefully scrape the butter from the bowl and place it in a separate container. Store it in the refrigerator for immediate or short-term use. Moreover, it can be kept in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.

To properly make cannabutter, follow these steps.

Step 1: Decarboxylation​

It’s important to bake cannabis before making cannabutter.

In its raw form, it contains tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), which are the inactive versions of THC and CBD (2Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).

By heating these compounds, they undergo decarboxylation — also known as decarbing — and become the active compounds THC and CBD (2Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).

To activate THC and CBD, preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C) and place 1/2-ounce (14 grams) of cannabis onto a baking sheet. Allow it to cook for approximately 30–40 minutes.

If you’re using fresh cannabis, you may need to let it cook for up to 1 hour. Conversely, if you’re using older, drier cannabis, shorten the cooking time to around 20 minutes.

Be sure to stir and rotate the cannabis every 10 minutes to prevent burning. You will know it’s decarboxylated when its color changes from a bright green to a dark brown-green.

Finally, make sure your oven does not exceed 240°F (115°C), as this can destroy important oil compounds called terpenes. These compounds are responsible for the smell, flavor, and medicinal effects of the plant (9Trusted Source).

Step 2: Stovetop cooking​

Once the cannabis has been activated, you need the following:

• 1/2 ounce (14 grams) decarboxylated cannabis
  • 2 cups (500 ml) of water
  • 2 sticks of butter (approximately 8 ounces or 225 grams)
  • 1 medium-sized saucepan with a lid
  • 1 wooden spoon
  • 2 cheese cloths
  • 1 medium-sized glass bowl or container
On very low heat, bring the water to a boil and then add the butter. Once the butter has completely melted, stir it well and add the cannabis to the mixture. Put the lid on and allow it to simmer for 3–4 hours.

Be sure to stir the mixture every 20–30 minutes to prevent burning. The mixture is done when it’s thick and glossy on the top.

Once it’s finished cooking, place two layers of cheesecloth over a glass bowl or container, pour the mixture onto the cheesecloth, and allow the liquid to drain through.

Let the remaining liquid cool at room temperature for 30–60 minutes, then place the bowl in the refrigerator until the butter has completely separated from the water and appears as a thick top layer.

Carefully scrape the butter from the bowl and place it in a separate container. Store it in the refrigerator for immediate or short-term use. Moreover, it can be kept in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Thanks, Tommy. In the next few days I’m going to give it a try.

Ideally you'd like an even spread of fruit throughout ; it doesn't really matter with the rock cakes as they are bite-size, but in a big cake (as I know!) It's a bit of a disappointment to have 95% of a fruit cake without any fruit. lol
That makes total sense. I guess the only one who wouldn’t be disappointed is the person who doesn’t like fruit on his cake ;) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back