Recruitment of players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palace are the prime example of why a full rebuild should be embraced rather than seen as too risky.

They've also shown it's doable as well. I don't want to hear any excuses for retaining these players or sentimental rubbish in favour of new contracts. Get as many out the door as possible. Make sure every agent in football knows every single one of our players is available for a decent offer. And don't price our crap players out of the market. If we are only getting low offers, then suck it up and move them on.

After yesterday I found myself musing that I never want to see Gomes in a blue shirt again, handsome as he may be.
Then I started thinking - who do I want to see in a blue shirt again, given the choice...
Pickford - not if replaced
Coleman - maybe in a testimonial.
Keane - please no
Holgate - god no!
JJK - never again
Godfrey - perhaps yes
Doucoure - Wouldn't be the end of the world
Iwobi - OK maybe as a sub
Townsend - might be moot
Gordon - certainly
Grey - see Iwobi
Richy - yes but maybe moot also
DCL - See Richy
Delph - CBA

Gary just needs to start hanging out with Gordon. Get on the same page.
Doucs is having a bad spell, but in previous games one of the few who stands up to be counted.
DCL needs to be in the right place to get on the end of crosses again.

They all need to find their form and confidence in the same game, then we have a chance :)

CB are shocking though. Replace asap!

After yesterday I found myself musing that I never want to see Gomes in a blue shirt again, handsome as he may be.
Then I started thinking - who do I want to see in a blue shirt again, given the choice...
Pickford - not if replaced
Coleman - maybe in a testimonial.
Keane - please no
Holgate - god no!
JJK - never again
Godfrey - perhaps yes
Doucoure - Wouldn't be the end of the world
Iwobi - OK maybe as a sub
Townsend - might be moot
Gordon - certainly
Grey - see Iwobi
Richy - yes but maybe moot also
DCL - See Richy
Delph - CBA
I remember Dublin Hurlers got hammered by Kilkenny in Portlaoise a few years ago. I was there. Anthony Daly the manager said afterwards if they had picked up 15 lads from the Red Cow pub on the way down they couldn't have done worse. Reminded of this after yesterday. Played like a pub team after 15 minutes.

Thankfully some very encouraging performances from the hurlers so far in the league this year.

All you have to do is look at our policy.

I find it staggering that we tried to plan our recruitment like Newcastle did when they first went down.

Overpriced players who don’t have the drive anymore? Owen, Viduka, Geremi, Alan Smith etc… and what happens when you sign players who have no heart? You go down.

Palace are the perfect example of what we’ve done wrong. They aren’t by any means any world beaters, but they’ve signed smartly, found positional holes and filled them with hungry, attacking players who can improve their side.

Eze, Olise, Guehi, in for less than £40m. Gallagher… loan, but could easily stick around. Handy players to come in if needed like Mateta, Eduoard.

Leicester did it, Palace did…

Meanwhile, we’ve signed players who don’t fit the system, short term fixes like James, Townsend, Rondon, Allan.

£40m for Palace whilst we’ve spent £24m on Gomes, £17m on a left back who can’t get in the squad, £11m on a right back who can’t get on the squad, then your Gbamin’s, Keane’s etc who cost over £20m and are totally inept at playing football.

It’s mystifying that we’ve been allowed to continue this way?
Worst example of recruitment since our Mets in ‘92…and then you had Saberhagen shooting reporters with bleach

Palace are the prime example of why a full rebuild should be embraced rather than seen as too risky.

They've also shown it's doable as well. I don't want to hear any excuses for retaining these players or sentimental rubbish in favour of new contracts. Get as many out the door as possible. Make sure every agent in football knows every single one of our players is available for a decent offer. And don't price our crap players out of the market. If we are only getting low offers, then suck it up and move them on.

Palace were lucky their players were out of contract though. We were the mugs who took on Andros Townsend.

Palace were lucky their players were out of contract though. We were the mugs who took on Andros Townsend.
It was hardly luck or coincidence all their old players and old manager all had the same expiry date. It was in the works for a couple years and they've pulled it off quite well all things considered. Massively risky where they pushed all their chips into the middle and everything paid off. We can't and won't follow that blueprint for so many reasons

We’ve kept hold of players that don’t contribute and tolerated failure season after season. Nothing will change with these players, unless the club ups it’s standards and starts getting a bit more ruthless. Excuse after excuse for players who don’t deliver. Can give anyone the first season to settle, if they’re not doing it after the second season - get them gone.

No more midfielders who barely score or assist season after season. No more wingers who don’t create or assist. No more defenders who collapse at the slightest pressure.

We should just never ever sign a player from a 'big 6' team again (except perhaps a Chelsea youth) as a starting point.

I think we all realised this at least 2 years ago but somehow we contrived to do exactly that twice again in January.

We should just never ever sign a player from a 'big 6' team again (except perhaps a Chelsea youth) as a starting point.

I think we all realised this at least 2 years ago but somehow we contrived to do exactly that twice again in January.
True this, most fail, I'd rather us go for Championship players, like Diaz at Blackburn

Yep. I looked at this the other day. In the last 5 seasons we’ve bought 14 players from the ‘big six’ plus Real and Barcelona. Every player on the way down in their career. An awful recruitment policy.

Couple this with our purchases from outside 'big clubs' aren't exactly paying off, it's a recipie for trouble.

Now I've said that, I'm not sure the "where" bit is the problem. We've just got so much wrong for a long time. Seemingly don't consider character either anymore. Oh, it's all at great expense too. Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.