Relegation 23/24 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll get our annual bumming at the Emirates within the week and then I'm looking forward to some well deserved time off from Everton. Looking at league tables, fixtures and hoping everybody crap loses except us is draining.
It has been grim but a lot of it we inflict on ourselves as fans. Everybody that was crap did lose, almost every week unsurprisingly. And in the end it didn’t matter because we finished the season a points generating machine.

What’s the lowest ever combined points total of the 3 relegated teams in the Premier League era? This season must be pushing it close.

Looking like 27 points could have been enough to be safe this season as well 😄
Just read that even if Sheff U, Burnley and Luton all win their last game on Sunday, and finish on a combined total of 75 points, that would still be the lowest combined total of the 3 relegated teams in Premier League history.

Put up by a Leeds fan on Facebook, the lad hit the nail right on the head with this….

1715779532293.png

We were only 'down there' this season because of points deductions.

You also seem to be assuming that any players sold aren't going to be replaced.
I think the concern is likely that any replacement signings will not be nearly as good as those players that we sell. For arguments sake, if we were forced to sell Pickford, Branthwaite and Onana, would we be able to get anyone close to Pickford or Branthwaite's quality with our very limited budget? Highly unlikely. We might get someone close to Onana's current level of play, though his upside is high. Plus, we won't be able to re-invest the lion's share of the proceeds from any sales as we are in such dire financial condition, most of what we get will go toward interest payments and keeping the lights on in my opinion. I hope we can keep Branthwaite another season but I'm starting to have my doubts on that. Onana is gone for sure.

I think the concern is likely that any replacement signings will not be nearly as good as those players that we sell. For arguments sake, if we were forced to sell Pickford, Branthwaite and Onana, would we be able to get anyone close to Pickford or Branthwaite's quality with our very limited budget? Highly unlikely. We might get someone close to Onana's current level of play, though his upside is high. Plus, we won't be able to re-invest the lion's share of the proceeds from any sales as we are in such dire financial condition, most of what we get will go toward interest payments and keeping the lights on in my opinion. I hope we can keep Branthwaite another season but I'm starting to have my doubts on that. Onana is gone for sure.

Currently it's guesswork - we don't know who we are going to sell, although as you say I think it's fully expected Onana will be sold - of our 'high ticket' players, I'd imagine most would say he's probably the best candidate to sell as he's easiest to replace.

Onana leaving will bring a few million revenue in, added to Gomes and Deli Alli who are out of contract we're probably seeing around £1million a month in salaries off the books.

I wonder how much wiggle room this would give us to resist selling the likes of Branthwaite, unless of course we get a massive offer we can't refuse?

Maybe I'm being overly-positive...

If Pickford goes, throw in a cheeky bid for that Ortega from City on loan for a year. He’d be a great stopgap until we can splurge on a permanent replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.