Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go down and we can keep players like Godfrey, Gordon, Mykolenko, Gray and Iwobi we should be OK with some new additions to that lot. Add to that we'll finally get rid of the dross. About the only positives I can take from relegation and its largely hypothetical as they could all leave

I'm not saying people will walk away. In fact I'm saying as much as people might want to walk away, you cant.

What I'm saying is things will be different. We are going to struggle to attract the next generation and our standing in the game will be the worst its ever been. People are not going to change club or stop supporting Everton but some will become less invested. I think that's inevitable.

Not being in the top flight is absolutely disastrous for the club. The effects will be wide and we wont know exactly what they will be till it happens because this is not a club used to relegation
There already isn’t much of a next generation. They dont exist.

No, I think it’s more to do with the fact of humiliation of being relegated, the fact it’s been 70 years, the financial implications it may have and the long term impact it has the club.

Literally nothing at all to do with Sky one bit
That's true, but whether we're in the PL or not, this gross mismanagement of the club will catch up with us eventually. Half of the teams in this league are just making up the numbers until they're inevitably relegated anyway.

IF Palace beat Leeds tomorrow..... glimmer of hope !
( Thats what Im reduced to now ! ) Still think there will be some twists and turns in the finish but were definitely in MUST win territory !
COYB !

McNulty BBC.
..."This epic tale of football mismanagement from owner Farhad Moshiri and a somewhat self-congratulatory board of directors who have got so much wrong could now be heading towards the nightmare conclusion.

It takes some doing to arrive at Everton, as Moshiri did in February 2016, to set course for the stars, then spend £500m on making the team markedly inferior while heading shamefully in the other direction towards the Championship.

And yet this is exactly what Moshiri and Everton's board have presided over.

If they were to go down, it would represent one of the game's most colossal, expensive failures and the list of culprits would have to start with Moshiri and those in the boardroom.

This is hardly Lampard's responsibility as so much damage was self-inflicted by Everton before he was appointed in January but no-one can escape the fact he has not been able to get the requisite results since replacing Benitez.

Lampard has now taken charge of 12 league games, losing eight and winning only three.

This simply must improve in the closing weeks of the season or Everton are doomed to the drop.

If they produce the same level of resolve as they did at Anfield before being overcome by one of the best sides in Europe, then they have a chance.

The big question is: can they be relied upon to repeat it with tough games coming up at home to Chelsea then at Leicester City?

Their prospects have not been helped by the late twist to the season's storyline at Burnley, whose heavily criticised decision - yes, criticised here as well - to sack Sean Dyche suddenly does not look quite so daft after all as the Clarets have picked up seven points from three games under caretaker Mike Jackson.

Burnley have momentum. It is a vital commodity at this stage of the season. Everton need to find it and they are leaving it very late.

Even their midweek draw at home to Leicester City, a point earned by Richarlison's stoppage-time goal, was a "better-than-nothing" result rather than a good one.

Gallant defeats are no good to this great old English football institution now. Everton need wins.

The fat lady, to misquote the old saying, may not be singing but she is certainly clearing her throat."

I can't argue with one word.

It will. It absolutely will.

Goodison won’t be full next season.
If we ended up going down, the season ticket seats would probably still be full as there’s a big waiting list. The rest of the seats that are sold each game might struggle to sell out I suppose with there being lots of midweek games.

Quite a few will give up their season tickets. Numbers will dwindle.
Yes, I agree a few people would give them up but I think there are people on the waiting list who would replace them so season ticket numbers probably wouldn’t be affected overall.

It would be the single match ticket sales that would be affected the most I think. Sales of those would probably depend on how we’re doing as well.

Hopefully we’ll survive and we don’t need to find out what will happen.

Yes, I agree a few people would give them up but I think there are people on the waiting list who would replace them so season ticket numbers probably wouldn’t be affected overall.

It would be the single match ticket sales that would be affected the most I think. Sales of those would probably depend on how we’re doing as well.

Hopefully we’ll survive and we don’t need to find out what will happen.
Numbers inevitably fall after relegation. Lots of people will reconsider what they consider leisure and entertainment. Were completely pointless now and have been for a while. Never in with a chance of competing for anything. Many will throw in the towel and do something less costly and more enjoyable.

Numbers inevitably fall after relegation. Lots of people will reconsider what they consider leisure and entertainment. Were completely pointless now and have been for a while. Never in with a chance of competing for anything. Many will throw in the towel and do something less costly and more enjoyable.
Who knows, we’d have to see what happens. I lived in Nottingham for a year in 2019 and Nottingham Forest still regularly had good attendances in the Championship at their stadium which has 30,000 capacity, at weekends and in midweek. We probably wouldn’t sell out but I’d be surprised if the ground was half empty every week.

Seeing as it's now become very clear that draws are no longer good enough, I hope Rondon will be getting more game time. Richarlison, if played alone up front until the end of the season, might sneak perhaps 2 more goals. Gray, Gordon, Iwobi, Doucouré and Allan between them might score 1 goal. That's not going to keep us up - that'll finish us 18th and about 8 points from safety.

If we go down and we can keep players like Godfrey, Gordon, Mykolenko, Gray and Iwobi we should be OK with some new additions to that lot. Add to that we'll finally get rid of the dross. About the only positives I can take from relegation and its largely hypothetical as they could all leave
With all due respect (and I think you’re a brilliant poster) why would internationals like Mykolenko and Iwobi and good prospects like Gordon and Godfrey want to play in the lower leagues?

They’d be the first ones out of the door to balance the books. We’d be left with the dead wood that we couldn’t shift.

What I'm saying is things will be different. We are going to struggle to attract the next generation and our standing in the game will be the worst its ever been. People are not going to change club or stop supporting Everton but some will become less invested. I think that's inevitable.

Not being in the top flight is absolutely disastrous for the club. The effects will be wide and we wont know exactly what they will be till it happens because this is not a club used to relegation
Brilliant post. Average attendances usually fall dramatically when a club is relegated from the Premier League. And Championship clubs receive almost no media coverage, so they become forgotten about to a large degree. My lad had never even heard of Sheffield Wednesday when I mentioned them to him the other day!

Going down would mean we would lose large swathes of the young football fans of this city.

The RS fans sing “the city’s all ours”. 18 years in the lower leagues like Leeds and the city really would be all theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back