Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a Villa fan, you'll be 'fine' this year. But as someone said earlier it'll be because others are worse rather than you saving yourselves.

You start to notice it as a fan that your squad isn't up to it before it's actually as bad as you think it is.

You'll likely get one, maybe 2 more seasons of circling the drain before you actually drop. Plenty of time to save yourselves and reignite the squad.

We had it with Lambert and he was pretty awful in the end but he delayed the inevitable for us. I reckon Lampard will be dynamic enough to reignite your squad and your owner is willing to invest when push comes to shove, so I reckon if you can get to the summer and buy smartly, you'll be fine
Buy smartly is not something we do. Moshiri will dig us deeper with every failed transfer window, so unless the owner sells up and the board gets replaced we're done. Few more years under this ownership and relegation is basically certain.

Need to win the winnable home games. Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Palace, Brentford. At least not lose at Burnley and Watford away, and hopefully some surprise points from elsewhere.

What’s concerning is that we have no room to slip up, we need those points. No time for these spineless players to “adjust” to the new manager’s methods. Could have done with the kopite being sacked two months earlier.

Im surprised people are putting so much stock into the Newcastle result to be honest. They’ve just had a two week break, coming on a high after signing a number of players and with a boisterous crowd behind them was never going to be an easy game.

The match against Leeds will be more of a barometer of where we’re at because it’s the home games that are crucial when you’re in poor form. The result against Brentford gives me hope that at Goodison we will pick up wins and draws.

Based on the form of Watford and Norwich I’ll be very surprised if four wins and a few draws isn’t enough to be clear of 18th. They’ve both won four games from 22, they would then have to win at least five from 16 games which is extremely unlikely.
Norwich have had a big upturn in form since new manager, we all wrote them off but they have a big chance to stay up now. Hodgson kept fulham up from well worse position and they have best run in of the contenders and Burnley have games in hand, even they are scrapping and picking up points against better sides.

Last night was a lot worse than i expected, we looked like conceding every single attack still, and we had nothing going forward. Then we lose two key players to injury too

If we're in the Championship we'll be spending a lot longer than one season.
There's always a chance that we could drop down to League one if things went from bad to worse. Being an established top tier team for so long would make us a big scalp for many championship teams and we know how this group of players bottles it every time the opposition show more hunger to get the 3 points.

My main concern is that we'll simply run out of games, when the managerial change should have happened before the end of 2021. Last night will have been much more useful to Lampard than Saturday was, but I still worry that he won't have long enough even if/when things click into place. We have enough home games in which to get us over the line, so it's very doable, but after results like last night the margin for error grows ever slimmer. I don't think we're in a relegation fight, as to be in one you have to be seen to be scrapping, and that really isn't the case so far; hopefully Lampard can change this.

There’s 17 games to play, nearly half the season. We’re not even in the bottom 3.

Annoying that United couldn’t beat Burnley either. But it’s solely down to us, plenty of time left, and teams in worse positions than us. We just need to accept where we are and start scrapping properly rather than sleep walking through games as we have been doing.

If 35 points is the benchmark for safety, I think we have a hell of a job on our hands.

All three of Watford, Norwich and Burnley look to have so much more fight in them than us, and that's what it may come down to.

To a man, we are stronger than many clubs outside the top 8, but if you have no heart and desire you'll ultimately lose a lot of winnable games, as we've shown in recent seasons.

35 points means we need 16 more. Our, on paper, easiest home fixtures are Leeds, Wolves, Palace, Brentford, while we only have Southampton and Watford away where it looks like we could take any points at all.

To have a majority of these games as must-win has me sick to my stomach.

There will be many 'six-pointers' in there, and I do not trust our squad to dig in and get the points in many of these games.

I can see a maximum of three more victories this season, and maybe 4-5 points from the away games if we're lucky. 14 points, finish on 33.

Our final 8 away games Southampton, Spurs, Watford, West Ham, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal.

Home games Leeds, City, Wolves, United, Palace, Chelsea, Brentford.

If we do finish on 33, we're hoping Norwich cannot get 17 points from 16 games, or Watford 18 points from 16 games.

Just happy that, from those below us, we only face Watford.

Burnley looked fine against United last night and their signing of Weghorst to replace Wood looks a great decision. If they win their game in hand over us, they're 2 behind us with a better goal difference.

All in all, I think we're nailed on to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back