Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 35 points is the benchmark for safety, I think we have a hell of a job on our hands.

All three of Watford, Norwich and Burnley look to have so much more fight in them than us, and that's what it may come down to.

To a man, we are stronger than many clubs outside the top 8, but if you have no heart and desire you'll ultimately lose a lot of winnable games, as we've shown in recent seasons.

35 points means we need 16 more. Our, on paper, easiest home fixtures are Leeds, Wolves, Palace, Brentford, while we only have Southampton and Watford away where it looks like we could take any points at all.

To have a majority of these games as must-win has me sick to my stomach.

There will be many 'six-pointers' in there, and I do not trust our squad to dig in and get the points in many of these games.

I can see a maximum of three more victories this season, and maybe 4-5 points from the away games if we're lucky. 14 points, finish on 33.

Our final 8 away games Southampton, Spurs, Watford, West Ham, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal.

Home games Leeds, City, Wolves, United, Palace, Chelsea, Brentford.

If we do finish on 33, we're hoping Norwich cannot get 17 points from 16 games, or Watford 18 points from 16 games.

Just happy that, from those below us, we only face Watford.

Burnley looked fine against United last night and their signing of Weghorst to replace Wood looks a great decision. If they win their game in hand over us, they're 2 behind us with a better goal difference.

All in all, I think we're nailed on to go down.
Agree with you but you have missed out

Home Newcastle, Leicester

Away Burnley

I've already accepted relegation. Nothing to do with lampard. would be happy for him to stay if he wanted to try and bring us back up.

We have been destroyed by our previous manager and through horrendous signings. We lost a good left back and replaced them with 2 "development" players. The fact that Patterson hasn't played a single minute is alarming, given how critical a new right back was. Even if he is going to improve, it is a poor signing when we needed cover now.

The biggest disappointment is that this squad should be performing much better than it is. Lampard will correct benitez's mistake of letting teams dictate the game, but confidence seems shot to pieces.

why is this post even on here? We aren’t getting relegated not a chance. We have been dire and still 4 teams below us. Seriously can you see any of them putting a decent run together? Newcastle perhaps but they Imo played there best game of the season last night. I still predict we will finish between 10th and 15th but we will definitely get more points between now and the end of the season than the current bottom 3 will. There still 17 games to go and Lampards hardly got his foot in the door, we will be just fine,

Newcastle played their best game of the season last night?
Lost to norwich. Dean smith. That was our best performance of the season.
Lost to Watford. Watfords best performance of the season..

Are you getting the recurring theme here?

Newcastle played their best game of the season last night?
Lost to norwich. Dean smith. That was our best performance of the season.
Lost to Watford. Watfords best performance of the season..

Are you getting the recurring theme here?
We currently are still ahead of Newcastle and have a game in hand, Newcastle have Villa next and the West Ham away, no easy games. It not all about how the teams have done against us it’s against all the others that counts to. Our next 2 games are arguably easier than Newcastle’s and just because they beat us last night doesn’t mean they will finish above us. But I do think we give lower teams hope when they play against us as we have been so poor, tbh we have been atrocious and still there’s 4 teams below us that shows how good they have been.

If we're in the Championship we'll be spending a lot longer than one season.
Anybody thinking that this present squad could cut it in the Championship needs a reality check.
It's knowing that we'd wallow for a few seasons before returning that is the real scary bit.
Believe me, its not about the ridicule headed our way if the unthinkable should happen, its about the anger towards those that have overseen our fall from grace.

I think it will be touch and go.

Relegation would be an absolute catastrophe for this club, that's the reality.

In a more detached sense, we have been operating as also-rans for more than three decades so not sure there is much difference as far as my personal experience goes in following this club watching us implode vs. Coventry as there is vs. Newcastle.

We were an irrelevance in the modern game, transformed into a running joke. We exist thats it.

If not this year, then unless the underlying problems are addressed, then we will be relegated sooner or later, I'm sure of it.

This season just has an air of fate about it for me, I hope I'm wrong.

Benitez, the injuries, change of manager, other resignations, farce added to farce.

If the media were writing the script, we are going down this season.

We currently are still ahead of Newcastle and have a game in hand, Newcastle have Villa next and the West Ham away, no easy games. It not all about how the teams have done against us it’s against all the others that counts to. Our next 2 games are arguably easier than Newcastle’s and just because they beat us last night doesn’t mean they will finish above us. But I do think we give lower teams hope when they play against us as we have been so poor, tbh we have been atrocious and still there’s 4 teams below us that shows how good they have been.

You are talking though like we can cherry pick easier games to maybe win. We are 6 points from 46 with cherry picking games having been in there. If we were posting this a few weeks ago we'd have been putting norwich down as the chance to get points.
The form needs to be turned on its head drastically.
I saw these posts not that long ago with the oh we're 7 or 8 points ahead. No problems.
Norwich go level on points tonight with a win. Thats how quickly you can be in it.

With out stating the obvious the Leeds game is absolutely huge.. by beating them we also bring them back into the mix as well. Can't be letting it become only 4 teams in contention for the drop .
Scary. Our squad is tiny and we'll be relying on the likes of Keane, Holgate and Coleman to start 3 games in 7 days and somehow expect to pick up points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back