Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean most people should be confident of us not going down because for the last few months all we’ve heard is that the players are better than they are, they just need some coaching, they just need some set piece organisation, Carlo had us in europe etc.

What’s the worry then?

Or is there a nagging feeling that the people who were calling out that the players were utter mince and the squad culture and mentality regardless of the manager had been a problem for most of the last five years might have actually been right?

It was more fun to just senselessly blast Benitez though wasn’t it, hope for a silver bullet appointment, and then call everyone who didn’t join in the witch hunt as some sort of Benitez loving kopite.

I think Lampard knows what he’s doing and has his head screwed on. I think we’ll stay up (just), but it wouldn’t shock me at all if we went down because all of the problems we’ve had for years are still there.

Did Benitez get the results to allow him to stay? Obviously not. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. Did fans wanting him out after a couple of losses help anything? Did blaming absolutely everything that has ever gone wrong at Everton, or ever will go wrong on Benitez help anything? No. Some fans were so triggered by Benitez that they could barely recognise any other issue at the club without frothing at the mouth calling people kopites.

A sad sad state of affairs. Just praying Frank can turn things around now but Tuesday night was just an absolute classic, injuries all over the shop, a complete lack of effort and desire from some players, and defensive errors from the usual clowns. He has a massive job on his hands.
I think we should be doing better than we have done but we're still not very good. I never expected Benitez to have us blowing teams away and I don't expect Lampard to. I think we're theoretically good enough to win enough games to be comfortable but unfortunately we're now in a bit of a death spiral and it will be hard to build confidence among both the players and the fans after a prolonged period of poor performance and negativity. You can't just snap out of that, and it's one of the major reasons why absolutely everybody in the world (well, almost) recognised that Benitez was not a good appointment.

One of the major concerns I had changing manager when we did is that trying to become a better footballing team and more attacking now is a massive risk. The standard tactic in our position would be to tighten up and become hard to beat to grind out points but we left ourselves without the option because of the ridiculous initial appointment. Also we'll all back Lampard but let's not make out like he was everyone's number one choice to come into this situation, we should all be nervous because there's no real managerial record to fall back on in his case, we're just going to have to have blind faith really because we have no idea if he has the skills to get us out of this mess.

I agree with that, but a drop from 10th to 18th or lower is still completely unacceptable. The difference between last year and this year shouldn't be 20 or more points less.

We allowed the previous manager to lose far too many matches before we acted. The longer we kept Benitez the tougher the job became for the next manager. I said it plenty of times around Christmas, but it wasn't rocket science.

Although it will kill some to admit it i think it shows ancelotti was polishing a turd. The football was dire and the home form reflected that he couldnt get them to open up and play simply because they were not good enough. Thats why the record amount of wins away came about. He knew how to drag out a result.
And i think just at the end of ancelotti's time here you saw how exhausted he was with it.

I am not optimistic about staying up at all. The forth coming fixtures fill me with dread and if we loose most of them we'll still be where we are now. My negativity comes mostly from being an Evertonian for 60 years and also by the fact we've been beaten quite easily this season by utter garbage. If it was just away from home it wouldn't be so bad. But most of our home results and performances have been disturbing.

Although it will kill some to admit it i think it shows ancelotti was polishing a turd. The football was dire and the home form reflected that he couldnt get them to open up and play simply because they were not good enough. Thats why the record amount of wins away came about. He knew how to drag out a result.
And i think just at the end of ancelotti's time here you saw how exhausted he was with it.

He told them so many times after so many games that the mentality wasn’t good enough and they got worse and worse. Imagine working all week ins isn’t hung and you have Burnley at home and within a few minutes Davies has just senselessly given it away, then Keane doesn’t close his man and we’re two down at home.

Or the Spurs game, europe in sight, perfect tactical plan going well, then from their lanky two crosses in the game Keane heads them both against Holgate giving Kane two equalisers.

Not to mention the period he had when Pickford was throwing a goal a game into his bet before he benched him for Olsen.

Just utterly stupid incompetent players.

February, 2022
LEEDS (H)
SOUTHAMPTON (A)
MANCHESTER CITY (H)

March, 2022
BOREHAM WOOD (H, FA Cup)

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR (A)
WOLVES (H)
WATFORD (A)

April, 2022
WEST HAM UNITED (A)
MANCHESTER UNITED (H)
CRYSTAL PALACE (H)
KOPITES (A)
CHELSEA (H)

May, 2022
LEICESTER (A)
BRENTFORD (H)
ARSENAL (A)

TBC somewhere in there:
BURNLEY (A)
NEWCASTLE (H)
LEICESTER (H)

I'll be honest here, if we get to City without another win, I think we're done-done.
Looking at those fixtures, I'd be hopeful of ending up on 35-40 points, which should be just about enough, but I agree that if we don't win on Saturday, the mental strain of waiting until mid-March for another win could be catastrophic.

We've got a real, drawn-out fight on our hands here.

Looking at those fixtures, I'd be hopeful of ending up on 35-40 points, which should be just about enough, but I agree that if we don't win on Saturday, the mental strain of waiting until mid-March for another win could be catastrophic.

We've got a real, drawn-out fight on our hands here.
We've gone on two winless runs this year separated out by one win. The first was 8 league games without a win and the current one is six without a win.

For perspective, the Wimbledon season, where we survived on the last day of the season, our worst run was one run of no wins in 6.

We're in very big trouble and show no signs of turning things around.

We've gone on two winless runs this year separated out by one win. The first was 8 league games without a win and the current one is six without a win.

For perspective, the Wimbledon season, where we survived on the last day of the season, our worst run was one run of no wins in 6.

We're in very big trouble and show no signs of turning things around.
We need to get ourselves above Brentford, and then hope there's 3 teams below us that are even more hopeless than we are currently. Worrying signs from below that there's teams there showing more fight than we are though.

Avoiding relegation by any means is obviously the aim but if the car-crash entrails of this season are not enough to prompt a very long, and hard look by Moshiri at where the club is headed, then nothing will.

It wouldn't be as bad as actual relegation, but avoiding it in itself is no achievement or anything to prompt celebration from the hierarchy.

Our league position and league form should be a matter for shame and embarrassment, particularly for the board and Moshiri.

We are only kicking the can down the road if serious changes don't happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back