Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically last night was a rousing game but we only added 1 pt to our season. We are still in 14th. The Newcastle and Leeds results were better for us than the result at Chelsea.
How far we have fallen so quickly.
This is true as of now. January window is upon us with a RB and LB already seemingly lined up. Then Dom and Richys return will come after Xmas. Those things should see our fortunes change slightly all being well added to that we could end up landing a decent midfielder in Jan also. The postponement with Leicester is helpful too, hopefully we can play them when we're in better shape and the lads now get a 10 day break to recover and rest. If we can have 20 or more points by game 19 we should be fine, we're only one point off that.

This league has some even worse teams. Will be a crap year but probably will finish around 13th
The bottom half is just dire. For/against looks very similar to 2019 at this point, would not be surprised to see a similar result. Difficult, but not impossible to get relegated scoring as much as we do. Newcastle seems to be the side going for the "get relegated while scoring as many goals as your negative goal differential" demerit badge this season, which when achieved is generally pulled off by a side that concedes the most or comes close.

This is true as of now. January window is upon us with a RB and LB already seemingly lined up. Then Dom and Richys return will come after Xmas. Those things should see our fortunes change slightly all being well added to that we could end up landing a decent midfielder in Jan also. The postponement with Leicester is helpful too, hopefully we can play them when we're in better shape and the lads now get a 10 day break to recover and rest. If we can have 20 or more points by game 19 we should be fine, we're only one point off that.

If there is a pause in the season kind of interested to know the implications for the Jan transfer window. For example Newcastle could be positioned to field their new signings in a number of games where they should not have been able to. Might get some appeals from certain clubs

If there is a pause in the season kind of interested to know the implications for the Jan transfer window. For example Newcastle could be positioned to field their new signings in a number of games where they should not have been able to. Might get some appeals from certain clubs
Doubt it, clubs can't complain when they're offered the same advantage.

Things will definitely change on the available players front after December. My concern is that our true issues have not been about the quality of players available but about the performances those players are delivering in this team. No doubt we had enough quality on the pitch to beat Watford for instance but we underperformed and lost.
So even though we get more bodies back in, if they underperform too we will keep playing badly and losing.

Things will definitely change on the available players front after December. My concern is that our true issues have not been about the quality of players available but about the performances those players are delivering in this team. No doubt we had enough quality on the pitch to beat Watford for instance but we underperformed and lost.
So even though we get more bodies back in, if they underperform too we will keep playing badly and losing.
I'd be more worried if were on like 13 pts or something. I get what you're saying but I think we've enough to be OK. Prob finish 12th or something. But things can always go wrong, that's life. I mean everyone's flapping in here and we've not been in the relegation zone this season at all. We're crap with injuries and lack sqaud depth but January will hopefully improve that

I'd be more worried if were on like 13 pts or something. I get what you're saying but I think we've enough to be OK. Prob finish 12th or something. But things can always go wrong, that's life. I mean everyone's flapping in here and we've not been in the relegation zone this season at all. We're crap with injuries and lack sqaud depth but January will hopefully improve that
I would agree that we will probably finish around 12th. If, though, things go badly the drop from 12th to 18th is not very far. I am still not sure Benitez has the tactics or man management to get this squad winning points - based on the 4 points from the last 33.

I would agree that we will probably finish around 12th. If, though, things go badly the drop from 12th to 18th is not very far. I am still not sure Benitez has the tactics or man management to get this squad winning points - based on the 4 points from the last 33.
I'll say again we've not been in the relegation zone yet this season. Of course that could happen at any time but I'd say it's like a 10% chance and would require a lot of bad luck and further injuries. We've had 6 points from the last 33, really that should be 9 pts if the arse didn't fall out of the players against Watford. Not saying that's great but all of those fixtures we've been missing DCL with no adequate replacement so we've basically been playing with 10 men in some of those matches then we lost further players like Doucoure etc. Based on that I'd say from the next 63 points we can get another 21 pts at the very least esp when players are back and reinforcments brought in. Personally I think we'll get more than that. I think we'll get about half the points available if we avoid injuries etc which would see us on about 51 pts end of season.

Newcastle losing last night whilst we got a point was huge

Burnley, Newcastle and Norwich all to come in December/January

Must win games those. Add in a win over Brighton at Goodison and that's 12 vital points

Taking into account we play Hull in the cup as well, 26th December up to 15th January is the pivotal section of this season for us
Yup, a good run over those fixtures and we can lock this thread.

Think this is the worst situation for a Benitez tho because he is too inflexible, and this is a very bad thing when you're struggling and cash-strapped. You need to be much more agile and have some give and take with players - lose some face now and again if it means three points.

Moyes for all his dour exterior was not a my-way-or-the-highway manager at all. He cut his cloth accordingly (he even accommodated Royston Drenthe for a few games) because he had to. You feel Benitez would bench Digne for a season if it meant being seen to assert authority.

In his favour the players are playing for him. Playing really badly but they're trying. I hear the argument against getting someone way less seasoned in (e.g Potter) because a bad run of results could get our gang of wasters completely downing tools.
Really? I remember him dropping Drenthe in the Semi final against Liverpool because He broke training rules? We would have been much stronger with him. Moyes was exactly the my way or the highway manager. Nothing wrong with it if it works best for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.