Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He left us in a much better position than where we were when he took over so for that he should be applauded. We went from a bottom half team to a top half team and even tasted the delights of European football. Those horror days of late 90s to early 00s were gone!
However, ultimately he won nothing (and rarely came close) and soured his image with his demeanour just before and after he left the club.
So in my eyes he will always be a manager I have fondness for but also some bitterness.

He left us in a much better position than where we were when he took over so for that he should be applauded. We went from a bottom half team to a top half team and even tasted the delights of European football. Those horror days of late 90s to early 00s were gone!
However, ultimately he won nothing (and rarely came close) and soured his image with his demeanour just before and after he left the club.
So in my eyes he will always be a manager I have fondness for but also some bitterness.
There's no denying he had a positive impact. The Walter Smith period was the most dire in my memory of the club and he drew a line under that.

That's all the plaudits I'd give him though.

Yes. That's true as well. So he wants to have his cake and eat it too. Not only did he get behind the United wheel very quickly, he also did that AND denied Everton any compo by running his contract out to the minute it expired.

And now he's giving interviews saying we're a great little club or whatever.

He's finished at Everton. No legacy whatsoever. You dont **** on the doorstep and then walk away whistling like it never happened.

Are you saying Moyes has face AIDS dave?

Thought I'd bump this thread because Moyes has given his first interview since he was sacked, in the Sunday paper:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ster-United-never-gave-time-succeed-fail.html

Some Everton mentions:

‘The job at Everton was so good. I worked for a great chairman, great people at the club.'

‘It was not easy to begin with at Everton either. We had a couple of tough years before we had the club the way we wanted it.'

I saw what I thought were important similarities between United and Everton. Like the focus on developing young players. Look at the players we brought through at Everton. As well as the ones we brought in. You go back to Wayne Rooney and all the other lads. Ross Barkley, Pienaar, Coleman, Jagielka, Baines and Lescott. We signed John Stones. We had a really good club at Everton who gave me the opportunity to do the job the way I felt it needed to be done.’

By accident I (the journo writing the piece) met Moyes in London the night he got the United job. He had travelled down to complete the formalities with Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman he admired so much. Moyes was with his brother and adviser, Kenny, and was clearly excited by the prospect of succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson. It was the job he had always craved.

I’d been at Everton for more than 11 years. We’d qualified for the Champions League, got to an FA Cup final, I’d been voted manager of the season three times. I was among the most experienced managers in the Premier League.

He is candid enough to admit that, in hindsight, he might have done certain things differently at United. ‘If there was one thing I would have changed I would have started the day after I finished the season with Everton,’ he says. ‘Instead of waiting until July 1, I’d have started immediately.’ An Everton contract that ran until June 30 meant he couldn’t. ‘And within a few days of starting I was off on tour all around Asia,’ he says.

‘I also went into the job thinking I want to do exactly what I did at Everton. I want to be the same person. I want to manage in the same style. Because why would I change when I had success working that way? But now, looking back, I think there might have to have been a slightly different approach. I might have altered the style in which I managed.’

Moyes responds to certain accusations that were levelled at him. For instance, had he encouraged Rio Ferdinand to study a video of Phil Jagielka? ‘That’s nonsense,’ he says. ‘I would never do that.’

---------------------------------------------------------
Still very surprised at how little Everton seemed to have touched him, despite being manager for 11 years. After everything that has happened, he still seems very reverent towards Man Utd ('If you're a Man Utd player, this is how you act' etc).

It doesn't seem to have put his Everton career into an improved light in his eyes, which I'm surprised about. I wasn't expecting him to say 'I should have never left Everton' but he's still saying nice stuff about United, stuff he never really said about us. He seems to put United on a higher pedestal than us, which proves to me that he shockingly never truly 'got us'. You never get people like Royle, Southall, etc saying stuff like that. Everton are always the special club in their eyes.

Kevin Sheedy is going to go mad when he reads that comment

I said ages ago when he got the Man Utd job he'll end up at somewhere like barcodes long term, they'd be a perfect fit for him. That he believes he's a top 4 manager on the basis of being Man Utd manager for 1 season is why he'll never actually get the Newcastle job

He says in that article that when he went to Man U he didn't want to change things immediately , and the first thing he did was get shut of the backroom staff and brought in Tracy and the pointer,yes nice one Davey you are too full of your own importance
and still out of a job.

No chance, too much ill will here now, too many people hate and dislike him around the club, plus how could you possibly go back to them dour days under that blurt, we've tasted positivety and we believe again
don't you worry about it saggy lad, there's boffins in the backrooms at Goodison being paid to deal with these issues

No chance, too much ill will here now, too many people hate and dislike him around the club, plus how could you possibly go back to them dour days under that blurt, we've tasted positivety and we believe again

Did you witness the Walter Smith years or Mike Walker. They were really dour days.

We all thanked Moyes for making us feel positive again.

I think a line from one of the Baman movies sums up his reign. You either die a hero or you reign long enough to become the villain.

I've no doubt we will say the same things about Roberto when we have a new manager.

I was a big fan of Moyes and really feared for the future when he left but also felt it might be for the best. We had stalled and he definitely had an issue with the big games.

Then the way he tried to take Baines and Fellaini made me hate him.

However we ultimately ended up being the team who lost him his job at our ground. Revenge doesn't come any sweater than that. It was cathartic and now I feel no anger but only a bit of sadness for him and gratitude for how he moved our club forward. He built the team moral, club ethos and defence that served us so well last season and for that we should all be grateful and wish him well in the future.

As for the Utd job. He was screwed by Woodward, just like LVG is being. Now the result yesterday might just force Utd to buy big but Moyes for the first 6 months had no Herrara, Shaw or Mata. The team Fergie left him was horrible after years of under investment, the only reason they won it the year before was the fear factor stopped teams exploiting their weakness which was their midfield and defence.

Utd needed to rebuild. Maybe the job was too big for him, he certainly acted like it was but he was also never given time to grow into the job. The decision to hire him was probably wrong but ironically so was the decision to fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back