Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
At lot of players can speak fluent English but won't speak it in a press conference for fear of making a mistake. Lets be honest, most of you spent the entire Martinez reign taking the piss out of him for saying phenomenal even though English was his second language.

Great point.

At lot of players can speak fluent English but won't speak it in a press conference for fear of making a mistake. Lets be honest, most of you spent the entire Martinez reign taking the piss out of him for saying phenomenal even though English was his second language.

We didn't mock his accent. We mocked the fact that it was anything like phenomenal. More like average if you ask me.

I worked in Malaysia for 5 years. Made sure I learned the language in the 1st year of being there. It's not hard if you put in the effort. Less time playing Fortnite and more time bettering your grasp of the native language I say.

You learnt Malay when everyone speaks English ?

I can understand people doing it in China but in Malaysia...

Is it? Maybe I dont know what a oxymoron is.
I thought something like «he’s dead, but still alive» was an oxymoron.

No, that would just be nonsensical.

An oxymoron is a phrase which contains self contradictory words.

For example, the term “friendly fire” used to describe soldiers in an army shooting their own men by mistake.

Like there is owt “friendly” about being killed by “fire” from your own fellows.....you are every bit as dead as if the enemy had shot you :(

In this case we have “deliberate ignorance”........that is an oxymoron because if you are ignorant of sommat it is because you do not know about it and you cannot deliberately not know about a thing.

And if you do know of sommat’s existence but deliberately choose to remain uninformed about it, then you are no longer ignorant of said existence, just wilfully remaining uninformed.

It’s why Pochettino chose to speak with a translator while at Southampton. He probably realised that Spurs being a bigger club he wouldn’t be allowed to do that.

Maybe he is not academic.

Not everyone finds it easy to learn a new language.
Agree. It's clearly a knack some people have and others don't, like maths ability. Languages have always been my personal weak spot. I simply don't remember the vocabulary*, and struggle to turn spoken words into what i know.

*which is odd since i seem to have a pretty big range of English vocab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back