2020/21 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not ‘having a go’. Just pointing out that an Olympic gold medal is not the peak achievement in football. And will never be regarded as such. Nothing controversial about that.
Oh no, sorry, I know you weren't. I was replying to your message about the status, but the last comment was a general statement aimed more at the people who are being negative.

Apologies for confusion.

All the Spanish players looked pretty gutted when they got beat in the final. Given the calibre of players in their squad I don't think they thought the competition was amateur.
All football players want to win football matches, and even though the Olympics for men do not have a high status, you still want to win the tournament when you participate. But the point is that this tournament has some restrictions that make it not have a very high status.

All the best nation is not qualified, and there is an age limit for who can participate + a few players above that age limit. Not even the best players under the age of 23 participate. As the Olympics were also largely, before the rule change (1984), limited to amateurs, football does not have any particular tradition or culture associated with the Olympics. This makes it a rather uninteresting tournament.

Therefore, this is not a tournament that most football associations prioritize very highly. For women, this tournament is often given high priority, partly because they do not have these limitations, but most of all because the women's leagues are not as popular and commercial as the men, and this is a great way to market themselves.

All football players want to win football matches, and even though the Olympics for men do not have a high status, you still want to win the tournament when you participate. But the point is that this tournament has some restrictions that make it not have a very high status.

All the best nation is not qualified, and there is an age limit for who can participate + a few players above that age limit. Not even the best players under the age of 23 participate. As the Olympics were also largely, before the rule change (1984), limited to amateurs, football does not have any particular tradition or culture associated with the Olympics. This makes it a rather uninteresting tournament.

Therefore, this is not a tournament that most football associations prioritize very highly. For women, this tournament is often given high priority, partly because they do not have these limitations, but most of all because the women's leagues are not as popular and commercial as the men, and this is a great way to market themselves.
Do not disagree with any of the above. I pulled you up because you said European countries see it as an amateur competition. Which clearly not all of them do.

Do not disagree with any of the above. I pulled you up because you said European countries see it as an amateur competition. Which clearly not all of them do.
The Olympics is traditionally amateur though pros can now compete. It is still an amazing achievement to win it but it isn't of the same level as the Euros or World Cup or Copa America etc. Not amateur but not top tier either. Having said that I reckon all European players would love an Olympic gold medal, be weird not to

I had JUST zoned out of this site, twitter and BBC sport etc to preserve my health & sanity, and then Everton go and do something genuinely nice and clever. I can't get over this dilemma I've got - the apathy or despair about our squad and chances, on the one hand, and on the other, the way Benitez is talking, and others are talking about him, actually gives me hope. There's James, and there's Delph front and centre, there's doubt about the transfers, and then this nice positive thing they did for Richy. It doesn't matter if it's cringey, spin, for show, whatever others have called it here. It's about time there was some nice team building, some love and bonding, and this kind of positive vibe we have not seen since Martinez tbh.

It's spin, orchestrated by a man spectacularly failing to deliver.

Wake up. This club take the piss so many times. I'm amazed how often people fall for it and praise them for it.
133.jpg

A happy Richy banging in goals against a team of 12 year old schoolchildren benefits us. That he had a massive part in winning an Olympic gold medal, regardless of the competition, is still massive. He had a down year last year, he's hungry. NEA

Status
Not open for further replies.