Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez and Everton heading for £10million compensation battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
and they'll agree on some. this is a negotiation tactic and people are attacking martinez like he's personally threatening their families

also it does not cut both ways. he won't get his full contract because he doesn't have much leverage and the legal structures of most western nations insulate owners and their capital.

management offered him a contract of five years that was stupid and promised to pay him so much for it. they fired him for not doing that job as well as they wanted. unless there's something in the contract covering this they broke the contract and they have to compensate martinez

Fair points.

Ok if we ask him to compensate the club then for a few transfer dealings then?

If I dont deliver a parcel right, and it is nicked, I pay for it.

Fair points.

Ok if we ask him to compensate the club then for a few transfer dealings then?

If I dont deliver a parcel right, and it is nicked, I pay for it.

Do you think we'll be paying him a percentage of anything we make on Lukaku & Mori? Probably even make on McCarthy...

The club gave him a contract & are legally bound to pay the remainder. End of story.

Do you think we'll be paying him a percentage of anything we make on Lukaku & Mori? Probably even make on McCarthy...

The club gave him a contract & are legally bound to pay the remainder. End of story.

Was being playful mate. As someone said, it will be a negotiation.

But football aint the real working world.

Was being playful mate. As someone said, it will be a negotiation.

But football aint the real working world.

It's a different world to the one we work in alright, but a contract is a contract. It's legally binding. For most of us, that's a weeks notice, maybe a month. In better paid jobs, 3 months.....

Martinez didn't technically fail. 5th, 11th, 11th with 2 semi finals, with the 11th/12th best funded squad in the league??? Disappointing yes, but even the most blinded here wouldn't have expected better than 5th with that squad.

Chief Execs of Banks can bankrupt them & still get a massive pay off! Contract is a contract, has to be paid.

In a world were most football managers get sacked for under performing before the end of their contract then it seems a bit naive not to put some sort of clause relating to his performance. I don't blame him for asking for what he's entitled to. The club shouldn't have given him such a long contract in the first place though.

backroom staff too will no doubt want compensation. should counter sue over champions league shambles. Football an industry where incompetence pays on the back of hardworking fans

He's showing phenomenal arrogance here, and certainly must feel in a good moment to be showing such know-how.

I guess he's within his right to go for it. In no way should we settle for anywhere near that figure or does he deserve it though.

In a world were most football managers get sacked for under performing before the end of their contract then it seems a bit naive not to put some sort of clause relating to his performance. I don't blame him for asking for what he's entitled to. The club shouldn't have given him such a long contract in the first place though.

It's an interesting and dare I say debatable point as to if a manger is underperforming surely it's as much about the players not performing.

Players are afforded significant protections and as we know can't be handed their P45s , save an incident of gross misconduct, till the end of their contract be that through a transfer or time expiered. Failing to play well etc is irrelevent and the pay cheque will be delivered come what may.

Most think they know what the failings of the manager were but putting in performance indicators that would be down specifically to him wouldn't be that easy. Any agent worth their salt would be insisting on so many dependencies to be factored in that it would almost make these type of specific objectives meaningless.

In terms of setting specific targets for the team yes that would be feasible but what for a club like Everton of a couple of years ago whenRM signed his contract would have been realistic? We all know what we think should be in there but I am far from sure that he would have agreed to say something along the lines of CL qualification or winning a cup and in terms of league position based on wage/ transfer expenditure what would have been realistic?

It's a different world to the one we work in alright, but a contract is a contract. It's legally binding. For most of us, that's a weeks notice, maybe a month. In better paid jobs, 3 months.....

Martinez didn't technically fail. 5th, 11th, 11th with 2 semi finals, with the 11th/12th best funded squad in the league??? Disappointing yes, but even the most blinded here wouldn't have expected better than 5th with that squad.

Chief Execs of Banks can bankrupt them & still get a massive pay off! Contract is a contract, has to be paid.

What a ridiculous comment.

A contract is a contract. Between TWO parties.

If one party did not fulfil their part of the contract - the other party is able to terminate it.

Obviously.

Doesn't mean you have to pay the entirity of the contract.

Thats like contracting a builder to build a house. He only builds half. Then demands the full amount without the house being complete.

i.e. ridiculous.

If one party did not fulfil their part of the contract - the other party is able to terminate it.

Obviously.

Thats like contracting a builder to build a house. He only builds half. Then demands the full amount without the house being complete.

i.e. ridiculous.

Poppycock, contracts are different in the footballing world.

Hence Lukaku cant just turn round and say "you know what lads, this isnt for me, BYE", the same reason we cant just say to McGeady, "You are gash lad, later", both parties must honour the contract or mutually terminate.

Poppycock, contracts are different in the footballing world.

Hence Lukaku cant just turn round and say "you know what lads, this isnt for me, BYE", the same reason we cant just say to McGeady, "You are gash lad, later", both parties must honour the contract or mutually terminate.

Its not poppycock.

A managerial contract does not automatically guarentee that the party that was terminated would be paid the full value of contract. This isn't a player who's career might be ended by injury and needing insurance.

This is a manager who did not achieve what he was being paid to.

'Poppycock' on that.

Obviously.

i.e. ridiculous.

But what is his part of the contract. To be the manager of Everton Football Club. Did he not turn up to work? No. Did he breach terms of the contract? No. Therefore there are no grounds for us to end the contract.

What we will pay out will be representative of the fact that he is due 10.5m over the next 3 years as per the contract. It will also be representative of the fact he is contracted to Everton Football Club for the next 3 years and that us terminating the contract gives him the opportunity to work elsewhere. The amount paid out will therefore start at what he is due and then be reduced to take into account the fact he can now pursue other opportunities. My estimation would be that half of the 10.5m he is due would be a fair amount to reflect this.

But what is his part of the contract. To be the manager of Everton Football Club. Did he not turn up to work? No. Did he breach terms of the contract? No. Therefore there are no grounds for us to end the contract.

What we will pay out will be representative of the fact that he is due 10.5m over the next 3 years as per the contract. It will also be representative of the fact he is contracted to Everton Football Club for the next 3 years and that us terminating the contract gives him the opportunity to work elsewhere. The amount paid out will therefore start at what he is due and then be reduced to take into account the fact he can now pursue other opportunities. My estimation would be that half of the 10.5m he is due would be a fair amount to reflect this.

Look at his results.

There was more than adequate grounds to terminate.

Its not poppycock.

A managerial contract does not automatically guarentee that the party that was terminated would be paid the full value of contract. This isn't a player who's career might be ended by injury and needing insurance.

This is a manager who did not achieve what he was being paid to.

'Poppycock' on that.

Bobby above has just pulled your pants down.

As he says, he did his job, he managed the team, badly, but his contract didnt have any targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back