Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A) We have a back line of, for the most, international defenders mate.

B) Basic football dazzles us because The BOBS has no other way to play other than the 'pass it 'til it's dead' ethos. And it's SO easy for teams to come to GP, sit back, wait for the collapse and then in turn dazzle us because he's consistently failed to adapt his style...ergo the basic stuff works a dream.

C) They ARE doing the job they are told to do....that's a part of the prob...he wants everything 'played' from the back (see STONES's 'Johanning' etc).

He's not learning. It's that simple.

And it's scary mate.

What is it....4 home wins in ten odd months? Blimey...

I understand your point about the back line being full of international defenders, but surely that illustrates how poorly they are performing at the moment. We are not losing goals due to playing out from the back, we are losing goals to standard balls into the box. International defenders should be able to deal with these sort of attacks without needing the coach to explain wht to do. I just don't see why managers get the blame when players fail to perform to the standards they are capable of. The dirge we were dealt up last year was purely down to Martinez, I accept that. This year though the football has been so much better, it is just we throw so many goals away through poor defending. Jags & Howard at Chelsea, for instance. Just utterly poor defending.

If he inherited the squad Moyes got back in the day, he would have surely relegated us, not in a villa sort of way, but in a Blackpool lose every game 4-3 kind of way.

He bought Lukaku, but it wasn't like Lukaku was a Cahill style "find". This squad should be nowhere near 11th, and easily closer to 16th than 4th. We can't risk having him in charge when Lukaku inevitably gets sold, that isn't a negative comment, he's clearly too good to stay with a team not in Europe.

It's a testament to our club that he's under no pressure, we're not the sort of club to fire managers willy nilly, but we have to be a bit ruthless and realise he shouldn't be risked as the man to spend the millions that are coming to us.

I understand your point about the back line being full of international defenders, but surely that illustrates how poorly they are performing for the past 18 months

Sorry mate, just had to correct that bit for you.

See, the defenders can only do so much. When there's no protection from the front i.e. pressing we leave ourselves vulnerable. And in turn we put more pressure on ourselves, this is systematic of his approach, more concerned with goals than defending.

Allow your goal to be put under pressure and you will concede. I'm watching athletico at the moment, they chase everything and close and harass; they've conceded 11 goals. See the difference

Keep him. If Baines, Jags, Besic and McCarthy had stayed fit we would have conceded less goals and won more points. He's a likeable lad who plays attractive football.

Dave vault me on this but we will NOT be looking at a semi final after next Saturday, what will happen is we will take the game to Chelsea, score, try to hold on then inevitably collapse and lose 3 or 4 -1
Our only hope is to hold them to a draw at Goodison.....take them back to their place and al least we have a good chance of winning.

I, like most here, am only interested in who we are 6 points behind.. If its a big name that should be overshadowing us like Stoke or West Ham then Martinez is doing well.. or something.

After all, last week we were only 6 points from 6th, this week, we are what 6 points from 7th and Liverpool who are a big club so that's good.. hell if we go all out and win our next game, we could actually go above West Brom..... and some people want him out ffs.

....remember that Russian Journo (i think) the other week who said it was felt over there that KONE may be a better, more complete footballer than NIASSE.

Hahahahahahaha. How I laughed at that then.

Not now though.

I think Niasse has been given ample time to prove himself, time to start tearing him to shreds the Everton way

Whether Martinez should go or not is hardly relevant , I do not think he will be going anywhere quickly.

The Board will comprise of three people we are led to believe, Bill, Woods and Moshiri. It's well known that Bill and Woods fully buy into the Martinez project, the belief being that he is building something over the long term.

I doubt at this stage Moshiri would enter the Board with the pre-conceived notion of firing Martinez. If he had, or if he thought it likely to happen soon, he would want a majority on the Board, so the Board would either be 5 (with 3 Moshiri appointments) or 3 with only one of Bill or Woods.

Martinez will be given the summer and in all probability next season, the exception being a very poor early season which would see him removed before Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back