Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the posts above about Ross rejecting all future offers.. Anyone think that will change with a top manager coming in?

Don't want to see a mass exodus of players for the door...

Short thread ban for Snidey, much as I love him.

Can we get back to nattering about our Catalan, (for now), Overlord please.

Thanks

With the posts above about Ross rejecting all future offers.. Anyone think that will change with a top manager coming in?

Don't want to see a mass exodus of players for the door...

I think that is the awful scenario that could face the club this summer. I think no matter what wages are offered it may well not be enough to persuade those players to resign under the current manager if he is till there for next season.

I really can't get my head around those of us that want to give Martinez another season on the basis of 72 points in his first year. Just as you cannot say Moyes was the one that got those points, we cannot say he didn't have an hand in it as he had built most of the team.
So, I think to a greater or lesser extent, Moyes had some input into the first year Martinez success. But I don't really want to dwell which one of them takes the lion's share of the credit. We have had two seasons of Martinez since then and he has failed miserably to emulate that season.
We have fallen back under Martinez. When supporters of Martinez cite two cup runs please have a look at who we beat on the road to the semis. We beat Norwick on penalties, we beat Bournemouth who rested players. We had a great result against Chelsea, but struggled until Lukaku's goal. We did beat City in one leg but we lost that semi.
If he had a history of building teams after taking them apart I might have a bit of faith in him, but he hasn't.
I think I have looked at his time at Goodison in an even handed way and I don't believe he has a future managing Everton. I am very concerned that if the board decide to give him more time we will lose some of our better players and I feel he will get us relegated.

The season before Martinez took over at Wigan they finished 11th and had the seventh best defensive record in the prem, after Martinez was appointed these were his league finishes in the 4 seasons he was there:

16th, conceding 79 goals.
16th, conceding 61 goals.
15th, conceding 62 goals.
18th (relegated) conceding 73 goals.

Now I know some will say that was Wigan etc, but he is still playing the same tactical way now as he did at Wigan, but with better players, and a better squad than he had at Wigan, but those same tactics are still not working, but for some reason the man can't see this, and still spouts about it being the right way to play.

But if he'd have just had one more season........

Yeah right !

The concise version is ...

when a journalist posts that RM lost the dressing room a long time ago after you've been humiliated 4-0 by your bitter rivals

317gjs5.jpg

when a respected player who isn't known as being impulsive or brash says publicly 'there is no chemistry in the team'

xbeooh.jpg

when your 20+ striker wants to leave

igjkvl.jpg

when one of your countries best young players is refusing to sign a new contract while your current manager is in charge

1494g2e.jpg

when your team doesn't know how to defend

30c6n2v.jpg

...... when that happens you know the manager isn't going to turn it round.

We just need someone better than Martinez who the players want to play for.

Boom.

All turned a bit nasty now hasn't it

Who'd have pictured this after that first exciting 9 months in charge, Feel for the fella tbh
The intensity of his tactics have totally changed from the first season especially off the ball. Time and time again he says he is trying to understand the club and it's fans. He mustn't be even trying. If he did he would know 100% without any doubt everton players need to to be willing to get stuck in and standing off is not tolerated .he doesn't so no to be honest I feel no pity.

The season before Martinez took over at Wigan they finished 11th and had the seventh best defensive record in the prem, after Martinez was appointed these were his league finishes in the 4 seasons he was there:

16th, conceding 79 goals.
16th, conceding 61 goals.
15th, conceding 62 goals.
18th (relegated) conceding 73 goals.

Now I know some will say that was Wigan etc, but he is still playing the same tactical way now as he did at Wigan, but with better players, and a better squad than he had at Wigan, but those same tactics are still not working, but for some reason the man can't see this, and still spouts about it being the right way to play.

Yes I want to like Martinez, but when I look at the numbers (not just these ^), they tell me he isn't good enough for the Everton job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back