Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting to semi finals is meaningless if you don't get to the final and win the cup. Here's some of the club's who've managed to get to the FA cup semi final in the last ten years or so - Middlesbrough, Watford, Blackburn, Barnsley, West Brom, Cardiff, Stoke, Bolton, Crystal Palace, Millwall, Hull, Sheffield United.
He looks like having two consecutive seasons of less than 50 points for the first time since 2001/2 and he's got the worst home record in Everton's entire history. He'll go down as a failure.
I'm going to be unpopular here, but he'll go down as a success for me. I'm not going to use stats because you can find good ones and bad ones (quite a lot) for Martinez.
Since he's been here, the whole clubs mindset has changed. We've went from Moyes and Neville and their top 10, 40 points comments (even Steve Round today on SSN mentioning us grinding out a 0-0) to us now with a squad that on its day, can match and beat most in the league. The fans' ambition has increased to believing we can be seriously successful - get champions league - people believed we could have won the Europa last season. Of course thinking and actually doing it is completely different, but Martinez's positivity, attacking style of play and his squad he's built has got us believing we can go on to better things. Moshiri has also raised our hopes and I'm not going to say Martinez is the reason he's here because he's not, it actually makes me realise what Martinez can do with Moshiri's millions this summer (if he's here).

I'll give an example in case it looks like I'm talking out of my arse. Does anyone remember the candidates to replace Moyes, and the bookies favourites? They were the mighty Phil Neville, Niel Lennon and Alan Stubbs. If anyone mentioned a Mourinho type then, you'll get called mad. Now the favourites to take over Martinez is Joachim Low, Pellegrini, and Mourinho has been mentioned. That's a huge difference in the calibre of managers and I'm not saying Martinez is 100% the reason why things have changed but he's part of it.

Another reason I have a soft spot for Martinez is the fact he gets Everton, he's a very classy man and has time for everyone. The thing with Margaret Aspinall was touching, and my support for him (and the 30 odd who voted in) is probably based on the fact I want to see him succeed and willing to give him a bit more time.

In my head, the above sounds logical but apologies to everyone if it's just gibberish. Also, I'm expecting people to disagree with me (and maybe some deluded shouts) and if you do, I'm willing to have a debate.

If anyone mentioned a Mourinho type then, you'll get called mad. Now the favourites to take over Martinez is Joachim Low, Pellegrini, and Mourinho has been mentioned. That's a huge difference in the calibre of managers and I'm not saying Martinez is 100% the reason why things have changed but he's part of it.

Believe this is purely down to the coming of the Moshiri money. Nothing whatever to do with Martinez.

I'm going to be unpopular here, but he'll go down as a success for me. I'm not going to use stats because you can find good ones and bad ones (quite a lot) for Martinez.
Since he's been here, the whole clubs mindset has changed. We've went from Moyes and Neville and their top 10, 40 points comments (even Steve Round today on SSN mentioning us grinding out a 0-0) to us now with a squad that on its day, can match and beat most in the league. The fans' ambition has increased to believing we can be seriously successful - get champions league - people believed we could have won the Europa last season. Of course thinking and actually doing it is completely different, but Martinez's positivity, attacking style of play and his squad he's built has got us believing we can go on to better things. Moshiri has also raised our hopes and I'm not going to say Martinez is the reason he's here because he's not, it actually makes me realise what Martinez can do with Moshiri's millions this summer (if he's here).

I'll give an example in case it looks like I'm talking out of my arse. Does anyone remember the candidates to replace Moyes, and the bookies favourites? They were the mighty Phil Neville, Niel Lennon and Alan Stubbs. If anyone mentioned a Mourinho type then, you'll get called mad. Now the favourites to take over Martinez is Joachim Low, Pellegrini, and Mourinho has been mentioned. That's a huge difference in the calibre of managers and I'm not saying Martinez is 100% the reason why things have changed but he's part of it.

Another reason I have a soft spot for Martinez is the fact he gets Everton, he's a very classy man and has time for everyone. The thing with Margaret Aspinall was touching, and my support for him (and the 30 odd who voted in) is probably based on the fact I want to see him succeed and willing to give him a bit more time.

In my head, the above sounds logical but apologies to everyone if it's just gibberish. Also, I'm expecting people to disagree with me (and maybe some deluded shouts) and if you do, I'm willing to have a debate.

Well put.

I too want(ed) him to succeed, and he has many good qualities.

He is, in my eyes, an Evertonian. But not one good enough to take us forward I am afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back