Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants him sacked based on his first season, the majority of people have given the fella 3 seasons and seen only regression.

The 72 point season was a high point, since then only low points, for 2 whole seasons.
Mout - I think he should be sacked (because of his inability to sort out his defense - amongst other shortcomings) - My first post was a reply to someone saying no sane person could say that the 72 point 5th place season was better than the 61 point 4th place. My whole response was around that point. I would take 4th place over 5th place in any given year. However - I think the football and how Everton played results wise and against the competition was better in the 72 point season than the 61 point season. The following year both teams slipped to 11th -

There wasn't ONLY low points for two seasons - Europa League QF knock-out and knock-out of the in two cups this year in the semi finals to two teams that are both better and have more resources than Everton are positives. There just aren't enough positives to offset his deficiencies. Those saying that it has been a total disaster are going OTT.

Just trying to add some perspective and realism...

Last edited:
Can folk stop discussing another poster please?

One thing we all have in common is that we support Everton.

Not questioning him but it strikes me as if he is a keen supporter of the manager. Everything he argues is for the protection of Bobby. Of course if he believes keeping Martinez for a longer time will benefit to this football club...then we respect that...have to agree to disagree sometimes.

Look it's quite simple: we've been taking part in the PL since it's inception 24 years ago; we've had six managers in that time and none have gotten anywhere near smashing through the 70 points barrier. Martinez got 72 points.

Anyone coming after him has to break through that record in order to prove themselves That's the benchmark. That's the record set by Roberto Martinez.
Change the record lad. Defence was drilled by moyes. Martinez cant set up to defend a water bomb.he destroyed a very good well organized defence who could hold onto a win. 2 semis an 72 points isnt a success just as moyes 4th place and fa cup final wasnt success.

Not questioning him but it strikes me as if he is a keen supporter of the manager. Everything he argues is for the protection of Bobby. Of course if he believes keeping Martinez for a longer time will benefit to this football club...then we respect that...have to agree to disagree sometimes.

Whatever. Take it from me, he is a passionate Blue.

Debate with him, not about him, is all I asked.

It's not debatable at all.

Read 1985-6 and 1986-7.

Same points total in both seasons.

1986 we finished runners-up

1987 had us winning the league by 9 points.

Does that make 1987 a mediocre season because we were well clear?

Um no - You are talking about 1st place and 2nd place with 86 points and nearly identical GD (+45 and +46) both incredible seasons. Not 4th place and 5th place with with 61 points and 72 point respectively and a GD of 23. Talk about delusional - That isn't even a valid argument - I never would say that 2nd with +46 is mediocre. try coming up with a representative comparison - because honestly this one is a joke.

He still has a grudge against Garbutt for that time he came out and said the players didn't know where they were playing against Newcastle. Think Garbutt was lumped in with the plotters at that point and was being called a greedy judas for not signing a new contract.

Luke effing Garbutt.

Almost as bad as Martinez himself when it comes to holding grudges...

He

He's been here three seasons not two; he has our best PL points total and for the first time since 1983/84 we reached the semi finals of both cup competitions in one season.

There is no way, shape or form that Martinez's three seasons here will be judged by history as anything other than a good effort.

Sorry if you don't wish to understand or recognise that, but it's the truth.

"THE TRUTH, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

He

He's been here three seasons not two; he has our best PL points total and for the first time since 1983/84 we reached the semi finals of both cup competitions in one season.

There is no way, shape or form that Martinez's three seasons here will be judged by history as anything other than a good effort.

Sorry if you don't wish to understand or recognise that, but it's the truth.
Try harder Dave, come on.

The bait on your rod used to be so much more convincing. You've really let yourself slip into self parody of late. If you're going to spend this amount of time winding up fellow blues, then at least do it with some panache!

72 points record breaking season (guess what the new manager will get if one comes in- yes, that's right, nowhere near that total)

Two semi finals in one season.

More goals scored in open play since HKI.

Added about £150M value to the squad since taking over Moyes' Dads Army squad.

Took everton from the hoofball Middle Ages to modernity.

......not bad for a fraud.

Let's see what the "top class" manager successor does with ten times more cash. I have a very strong feeling we'll look back on martinez's three seasons in charge as a period when we had a huge chance to back him and his style of play and push on.

The new manager won't have 9 times the amount of money El Fraudo has spent Friend

@davek .
Dave, I have been supportive of RM for most of this season. He has done a lot of good things at this club and now the pack baying for blood have in a lot of cases lost the ability to be balanced when talking about the manager and discussing his merits.
RM has assembled a squad with talent and potential.In general he has spent money very and even the best get it wrong sometimes. We all know the players he brought in and in addition because of him we see the value of Stones, Lukaku and Barkley soar. The form of all three has dipped but that can happen with young players.
We have seen the academy flourish, youngsters making the first team and more queuing behind.

There is so much that he has done right and in a relatively short space of time, and he has always been an excellent representative on behalf of the club, a fact which should not be overlooked.

But, in the premiership there is only one thing you are judged on...results and this is where he has fallen down.
Partly, he is a victim of his own success, after putting such a talented squad together, this season some of the results are simply not good enough.
The games against Bournemouth, Norwich,Leicester,Stoke,Chelsea,Swansea,W Brom and W. Ham are the ones that jump to my mind. These eight games are the reason this thread exists in my opinon.

The problem I see is that even if he is given more money to spend and he does sign more very good players we will continue to play as we do and still leak goals.

I do not want to see RM leave the club, but equally I cannot face another season of losing games we should win against inferior opposition and then being told how well we are doing.

I know it won't happen , but I would love to see RM work with an old head like Pellegrini or Hiddink or one or two others. We might then see the best of what he has to offer while at the same time lose some of the glaringly obvious flaws in the way he sets his team out. Wishful thinking, I know, but it would be my solution.

72 points record breaking season (guess what the new manager will get if one comes in- yes, that's right, nowhere near that total)

Two semi finals in one season.

More goals scored in open play since HKI.

Added about £150M value to the squad since taking over Moyes' Dads Army squad.

Took everton from the hoofball Middle Ages to modernity.

......not bad for a fraud.

Let's see what the "top class" manager successor does with ten times more cash. I have a very strong feeling we'll look back on martinez's three seasons in charge as a period when we had a huge chance to back him and his style of play and push on.
You record of defending the indefensible should Stan you in good stead for a job win the Labour Party under the current regime.. Take the money David.

Really? We'll see.

Martinez did a better job than ginger bollocks and his hoofball for 11 seasons, so it's up to any new manager to get right past 72 points in his first season. That's only fair given he'd have a fortune to spend.

By the way, I can't wait to see this top class manager. Some no mark like De boer no doubt.

Be careful what you wish for is the old adage, and I'm certain we'll be finding that out at our leisure in the coming season or so.
And I never saw any side under 'ginger bollocks' concede 4 at anfield, twice. Lemon head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back