Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I don't agree with you so are many fans. The more successful you are the higher you finish up in the league. It is not measured via points and GD. Can't believe the pro Martinez are just as deluded. 72 points trophy is better than finishing 4th just wow.

Listen - there is no delusion - I simply said Everton had more wins, goals, less losses and fewer goals conceded in the 5th place season than the 4th under Moyes (Everton vs. Everton) not (Everton vs the league).. I never said 5th is better than fourth. Just you could make a case that Everton played better in Martinez's fifth place season than the 4th place season of Moyes. But the league as a whole, played collectively worse. 72 points in Moyes season gets you fourth and 61 points in Maritnez gets you 9th. Which based on GD sounds about right.

I am not defending Martinez - if your reading comprehensions cant follow...just wow!

Martinez has had 3 years in the job to convince the fans and board that he is the right man. If 90%+ fans want a new manager, and the board agrees, then I can't see what the problem is, it's an overwhelming consensus.

Anyone new coming in will have a lot of positives to take from Martinez, namely some good young signings. However, to say a cup / top 4 in the first season or the new manager is a failure is just ridiculous. It's about showing promise, making that 90% who don't believe in Martinez believe in the new guy to take us forward.

Dave doesn't want that, he's already got it in for the next manager and is hell bent on keeping this argument going, the worst thing is a lot of decent Evertonians are going to get wound up by him and the mods will ban them.

I think it's best for their own safety that they remain anonymous.
I doubt there'll be a black out windowed van turning up at their gaff mate.

People can say what they like, but have to be prepared to have their opinion taken apart when posted on an Internet forum.

Giving Martinez more money to spend to purchase new players when he can't even get the best out of this current bunch is completely ridiculous. He has lost the dressing room and throwing money at the problem won't solve it.

Yep, a good business sweats the existing assets more, and does not just throw more money at new ones if the problem is that the management is failing to get the best out of what they already have. Of course, if the assets are all 35 years old and falling to bits then that is a different issue.

Listen - there is no delusion - I simply said Everton had more wins, goals, less losses and fewer goals conceded in the 5th place season than the 4th under Moyes (Everton vs. Everton) not (Everton vs the league).. I never said 5th is better than fourth. Just you could make a case that Everton played better in Martinez's fifth place season than the 4th place season of Moyes. But the league as a whole, played collectively worse. 72 points in Moyes season gets you fourth and 61 points in Maritnez gets you 9th. Which based on GD sounds about right.

I am not defending Martinez - if your reading comprehensions cant follow...just wow!

Nobody wants him sacked based on his first season, the majority of people have given the fella 3 seasons and seen only regression.

The 72 point season was a high point, since then only low points, for 2 whole seasons.

But "bluefox" was also laughing at the mail report a few days before the Moshiri news broke, saying it was the Americans and only the Americans that were buying the club. Nobody else was "in the frame".

So I'm fully in agreement with GrandOldTeam, nobody really knows.

We all know. He's not gonna be here next season, that's pretty obvious.

Fair enough, my point is it's debatable. Everton in Moyes CL season was a mediocre team in a season that mediocre got you CL. I think 72 points with +22 in a tougher league is a better season than 61 points & -1 in a dreadful league.

Yeah that goal difference was scewed slightly by a 7-0 tonking second last game of the season by Arsenal mind, we won 9 games 1-0 that season, the 4-1 loss opening day of the season to Arsenal and the 7-0 hammering by Arsenal would give us -1 goal difference over those 11 games - but 27 out of 33 points, honestly goal difference is just a stat sometimes that doesn't reflect the whole picture

Was the league really that weak though, Liverpool finishing 5th won the CL that season

@davek

You like talking about win percentages don't you?

image.webp

We're improving though, honest. We beat Carlisle and Dagenham in the cup

He's been here three seasons not two; he has our best PL points total and for the first time since 1983/84 we reached the semi finals of both cup competitions in one season.
There is no way, shape or form that Martinez's three seasons here will be judged by history as anything other than a good effort.
Sorry if you don't wish to understand or recognise that, but it's the truth.
Getting to semi finals is meaningless if you don't get to the final and win the cup. Here's some of the club's who've managed to get to the FA cup semi final in the last ten years or so - Middlesbrough, Watford, Blackburn, Barnsley, West Brom, Cardiff, Stoke, Bolton, Crystal Palace, Millwall, Hull, Sheffield United.
He looks like having two consecutive seasons of less than 50 points for the first time since 2001/2 and he's got the worst home record in Everton's entire history. He'll go down as a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back