Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Home record"? So what? Since when did we start splitting home and away records off from each other? Oh yeah, I remember, since it was declared open season on Martinez.

Only two stats that count and ones that will stand up long after he leaves:

Best PL points total
3rd best win % of any Everton manager

They^^^^ are stats that the new man with far more cash to spend needs to surpass very quickly indeed....or they'll be out quicker than RM.
So it's OK to count points totals starting in 1992 but not ok to count home form?

I've been guilty of it, but seeing things like 'you need a brain transplant' directed at someone for a staunch defense of Martinez seems a bit off.

I want him gone as much as most for the record, but I can see why some want to give him a chance with a big pot of cash in the transfer window and then judge it.

Im not sure these people are operating with complete mental health intact.

Logically that can't be true. If you're fifth with 72 points it just means 4 teams ahead of you are also caning most of the other teams. It was a very weak league that year with a lot of dross that most recent sides were putting away consistently.

If you're fourth with 61 points it means only three sides finished ahead of you and there is not much dross in the league to batter if 16 sides can't finish above 61 points.

4th is better than 5th regardless of points.
4th is better than 5th - you're right. but it is apples and oranges league years. That is all I am saying

A standard of points has been set.

Struggle all you want to set any newcomer an easy bar to get over but it won't work. They will spend more and be judged even more harshly. This is the new culture. Deal with it.

here is the problem with your thinking though Dave, you keep banging on about 72 points, he isn't getting sacked because he got 72 points is he?

he is being sacked because he got 47 points followed by 44 currently, as someone who wanted an end to the Kenwrigth era and was vociferous about how it showed our lack of ambition as a club mate, i will ask you this, do you want the club to continue udner the new owner the same way it has been under Kenwright? Do you believe Kenwrights way of dealing with managers is the way we should walwyas be as a club, do you think this should be his legacy as our owner then?

Or do you think under a new owner that we should get back to treating managers and the price for failiure should be like it always was at Everton pre Kenwright mate?

You won't answer these questions i know, which in itself is the answer i guess...

Fair enough, my point is it's debatable. Everton in Moyes CL season was a mediocre team in a season that mediocre got you CL. I think 72 points with +22 in a tougher league is a better season than 61 points & -1 in a dreadful league.

It's not debatable at all.

Read 1985-6 and 1986-7.

Same points total in both seasons.

1986 we finished runners-up

1987 had us winning the league by 9 points.

Does that make 1987 a mediocre season because we were well clear?

One of them spelt brain 'brian' which I must admit amused me.

I thank the lord for spell checker everyday Bungs mate.

I hate it when it tries to confuse me with American spellings tho, bang out of order that lad.

I often look back at my old posts, my English has improved loads over the years, my grammar is still shocking and I insist on using your for everything but the science is there bungs, we can get better together.

Dave, have you lost all real sense of self awareness lad?

Seriously questioning your sanity / motives / reasoning here for any of this.

I don't know you, know how old you are or anything about you. But you are coming across on here like a proper ranting mentalist.

I hope for your sake you can overcome this torment that seems to be ruining your life.

When he is potted hopefully you will find peace and remember you are an evertonian and not here just to bang the drum of some second rate manager.
Great comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back