Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look it's quite simple: we've been taking part in the PL since it's inception 24 years ago; we've had six managers in that time and none have gotten anywhere near smashing through the 70 points barrier. Martinez got 72 points.

Anyone coming after him has to break through that record in order to prove themselves That's the benchmark. That's the record set by Roberto Martinez.

so Dave would you rather our manager finished 4th on 61 points or 5th on 72 points?

Look it's quite simple: we've been taking part in the PL since it's inception 24 years ago; we've had six managers in that time and none have gotten anywhere near smashing through the 70 points barrier. Martinez got 72 points.

Anyone coming after him has to break through that record in order to prove themselves That's the benchmark. That's the record set by Roberto Martinez.
Moyes will go down as the more successful, as he got us what Martinez promised top 4.

I have a long-standing view that football is all about short-termism and a project like the current manager had when he joined the Club can't be easily done in 3 seasons. You may quote Ranieri, and that's fine, but will he be as successful next season? I don't think so, so what will they do, sack him for regression?
I also think certain players have done the Club a huge disservice by playing for themselves, not holding their hands up when they've made schoolboy errors, spoken to the press when they should keep stuff in house and generally thinking they're much better than they are. All this crap about wanting to play in the CL is nonsense....it's about bigger salaries nothing more. If Everton offered Lukaku twice as much per month as a CL side I know where he'd be playing. And besides, most Clubs have zero chance of winning the CL and those that qualifying generally get 4-5 games before being dumped by the big guns.
I accept Martinez is on really thin ice, and that forum-wise getting rid is a popular choice. I was ridiculed a couple of weeks ago for saying the forum view wasn't neccesarily representative of the match day crowd view, and Saturdays protest confirmed that for me. Around 100 from a crowd of 36,000 to 37,000. I understand some want to protest, and it was done in the proper way, with the exception of idiots giving the manager grief in the car park. But the numbers were less than a single percentage point. I'm not into stats but that's hardly a sway of opinion.
In terms of when it's right for the manager to go I'd say 10-12 games into the new season when he knows what he has squad-wise and if we're not picking up points at home and sat below 6th or 7th.
Not a popular view on here but an honest one nonetheless. Be nice to have an opinion without the usual suspects attacking it.....it is what it is, I respect the 'out' vote if that's what you want, so let's see a little bit of reciprocation.
Everton as a Club have always stood shoulders above everyone else where class and dignity are concerned - Saturday's tribute to the families of the 96 epitomised it, and I think RM has that in bundles and has put together a really promising squad - so, I'd like to see him given some time.

Utter LOL

What colour is the sky on your planet?

I agree, but more than that he set the standard on what a successful PL season looks like. Not just a nice feller, he set a goal that whoever comes in WILL be judged by. I will certainly be looking closely at points per pounds value of whoever comes in...and I doubt Ill find Roberto lacking by comparison some how.

And I will expect the new man to show progress towards that level.

Not lobbing my toys about if we are not there after 2 weeks.

A standard of points has been set.

Struggle all you want to set any newcomer an easy bar to get over but it won't work. They will spend more and be judged even more harshly. This is the new culture. Deal with it.
You attempting to deflect from your idols failure by setting a bar of your own making for whoever succeeds him, is both obvious and predictable.

Yawn

Would you rather 72 points and finish fifth or 70 and finish fourth?

Go for the 72 davek as that Is better than Moyes getting us fourth.

Would you rather win the league one season with 85 or finish second on 83?
Don't try and drag him down with your logic and common sense mate, don't you realise that Martinez is the greatest manager to ever breath the air and anyone who says otherwise is a kopite!

But that's how they are coached

These are players he brought in to fit his system

I'm not sure. I think it's 50/50 the coaching and the players just not performing. The players arnt little kids and shouldn't have to be told to make a challenge or stick with their runner. They have to shoulder some of the blame.

I'm not sure. I think it's 50/50 the coaching and the players just not performing. The players arnt little kids and shouldn't have to be told to make a challenge or stick with their runner. They have to shoulder some of the blame.

Footballers, as a collective, are a pretty dense lot.

Is it any wonder that those still showing support for Martinez don't enter discussions to try and defend him when you look at the respone to those that have voted IN.

I've seen kopite and RAWK shouts directed at them all over the place. Why arent they entitled to a different opinion without a witch hunt ensuing?

Sad state of affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back