Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester had a net spend of £30 million this season, so a bit more than Niasse but they've smashed the glass ceiling no doubt about that. Amazing achievement winning the league.

Well.

_89486670_leicestercityfinal.jpg

I have a long-standing view that football is all about short-termism and a project like the current manager had when he joined the Club can't be easily done in 3 seasons. You may quote Ranieri, and that's fine, but will he be as successful next season? I don't think so, so what will they do, sack him for regression?
I also think certain players have done the Club a huge disservice by playing for themselves, not holding their hands up when they've made schoolboy errors, spoken to the press when they should keep stuff in house and generally thinking they're much better than they are. All this crap about wanting to play in the CL is nonsense....it's about bigger salaries nothing more. If Everton offered Lukaku twice as much per month as a CL side I know where he'd be playing. And besides, most Clubs have zero chance of winning the CL and those that qualifying generally get 4-5 games before being dumped by the big guns.
I accept Martinez is on really thin ice, and that forum-wise getting rid is a popular choice. I was ridiculed a couple of weeks ago for saying the forum view wasn't neccesarily representative of the match day crowd view, and Saturdays protest confirmed that for me. Around 100 from a crowd of 36,000 to 37,000. I understand some want to protest, and it was done in the proper way, with the exception of idiots giving the manager grief in the car park. But the numbers were less than a single percentage point. I'm not into stats but that's hardly a sway of opinion.
In terms of when it's right for the manager to go I'd say 10-12 games into the new season when he knows what he has squad-wise and if we're not picking up points at home and sat below 6th or 7th.
Not a popular view on here but an honest one nonetheless. Be nice to have an opinion without the usual suspects attacking it.....it is what it is, I respect the 'out' vote if that's what you want, so let's see a little bit of reciprocation.
Everton as a Club have always stood shoulders above everyone else where class and dignity are concerned - Saturday's tribute to the families of the 96 epitomised it, and I think RM has that in bundles and has put together a really promising squad - so, I'd like to see him given some time.
My thoughts exactly this.

Either way the board need to make an announcement soon.

1.) Sack Martinez, now or the end of the season.

2.) Back him, Kenwright/Moshiri say they will give him funds and back him to change it around next season.

If they do back him, I think a way to win back the out fans is to bring in a defensive coach, that would be a start at least.

This time in limbo is causing our fan base to be more split than I can remember and it's turning toxic with the fans and the manager.

2.) Back him, Kenwright/Moshiri say they will give him funds and back him to change it around next season.

If they do back him, I think a way to win back the out fans is to bring in a defensive coach, that would be a start at least.

This time in limbo is causing our fan base to be more split than I can remember and it's turning toxic with the fans and the manager.
Not really. The stats imply only a minority want him to stay

The level of likely funding cuts right across that mate. Top half enough after spending the cash coming the new managers way? No chance. Not good enough and they can leave if they don't get success.
For me that's always been the benchmark NSNO and Bobby's not good enough with or without the money so he has to go simple as. I can support a manager who shows progress and an awareness of what's needed to progress but not one who has the club going backwards and calls it progress. Bobby has failed so let someone else have a go and be judged by whether the club moves in the right direction or not. Everton fans are not stupid and don't need arbitrary targets to judge managers.

Guard of honour for LEICESTER Saturday I hope....brilliant stuff.

Disgusting football though eh Dave....get yer nothing that sort of agricultural muck.

GET CLAUDIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Nah, actually, just get the BOBBLER out ASAP.

Guard of honour it is for us. Leicester, the best team in the league by a distance this season. Anybody who disagrees with this is either churlish...or clueless.
Probably both.

You would hope that Everton giving a guard of honour for Leicester would shake up a few in our boardroom. Knowing us though we'll probably be putting a load of thought into how to give the most friendliest guard of honour befitting of the people's club.

It won't work mate, I hate the fact I've referenced Rodgers twice tonight but I'm going to do it, he (Rodgers) at the end of last season had completely lost the fans, the board backed him he spent £60m on Firminho and Benteke, they sacked all his support staff and employed around him. The media speculated that the minute he hit a dodgy spell of form it would cost him and it did.

If we kept Martinez and won 1 of our opening games next season, he'd be under humongous pressure, we'd then be left having to bring a manager in, who gets no pre-season, no transfer window and in all truth, if he's out of work in September he probably won't be that good.

Repect your view but disagree with the last part. Lately he has been taking responsibility in interviews and been saying the right things. And the thing with Baines was blown out of proportion, it's not as if he dropped him or fined him, I don't agree with him apologising but that's as far as it went.

Saying the right things in a presser is much different than making changes to training, tactics and subs. Martinez has been getting worse at seemingly every aspect of his job over the past 2 years. We have seen players who were once among the fitter sides in the league now look tired after 30 mins and unable to play a full match with intensity. We have seen tactical changes that hallmarked RM's success in 13/14 disappear and give way to the same formation that consistently fails to defend in very basic ways. We no longer see useful substitutions; I would struggle to think of more than a couple this season that altered the result of the match. The only argument I hear from the "IN" camp is that he is good when we average the results over three years and ignore the fact that the trend in results under RM is strictly downward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back