Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except mate he's never going to do that. Difficult I know as he's not disclosed anything in public but he's heavily committed to Everton. Bill and Jon are history, just a question of seeing out the agreements.

Similarly employees not coming up to Moshiri's standards will find their relationship with Everton coming to an end, just takes a little time.

Don't mean to sound critical but I personally think we have waited long enough! What the supporters need more than anything is action from the board instead of nothing happening

As much has I admire loyalty I think it's gone beyond that with Kenwright. I think he alone thinks he knows what's right for Everton. His 'What a manager" quote to me was him having a go at the supporters saying, look I know what's right for the club and I've been vindicated.

I imagine us getting Jose will significantly improve our commercial side as wel as enhance our reputation well worth paying extra if it takes that as their obviously will be financial benifits to appointing a manager of his quality

I would be interested in hearing from @mkrudden. He's generally pretty savvy on his football , so I'm wondering whether he still considers Roberto the "man to take us forward".
he's a tremendous measurement instrument on footballing matters, he's literally been wrong about everything he has ever wrote about, when he is onboard you know it's time to bail

The article is here but i'll highlight the key bits.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-3-1-everton-analysis-11300323

Changing of the seasons
Given that Everton's previous trip to the King Power Stadium came on the opening day of last season, as fixtures in back-to-back campaigns go, their last two visits to Leicester couldn't have come under much more different circumstances.

Apart from the obvious passage of time – the games were played 21 months apart – so much has happened at the respective teams.

Back in August 2014, the Foxes were newly-promoted having spent a decade outside the top flight while expectations at the Blues were sky high following a club record Premier League points haul the previous campaign.

A torrent of water has passed under the bridge since then – Aiden McGeady scored his only Everton goal that day and hopes remained high that moment could be the spark to ignite his Goodison career – but the disappointment suffered by the visitors at only coming away with a 2-2 draw was the start of the decline after an impressive debut year for Roberto Martinez.

The following week Arsenal were mauled at Goodison for over 80 minutes but still fought back to snatch another 2-2 draw and it's been downhill since for the Blues.

Everton have no suffered a couple of hugely disappointing seasons. Leicester, in contrast, despite all the odds are Premier League champions.

Time to say goodbye?

The driving force for that enormous surge in fortunes for the Foxes of course has been the stewardship of Claudio Ranieri, the former 'Tinkerman' who has learned from his previous spell on these shores with Chelsea and decided to keep things simple at Leicester.

Patient build-up play and possession football certainly aren't in their locker but that hasn't prevented them from pulling off the biggest shock in English football history.

In contrast, Martinez has not been for turning. Steadfastly refusing to deviate from the footballing philosophy he follows with dogmatic rigidity.

The manager would argue that he gives his players the freedom to express themselves and such a fresh approach initially worked a treat after over a decade under David Moyes.

However, after that impressive first season, it's been two years of chronic underachievement.

The manager's permanently sunny nature cannot mask a serious shortcoming in results and you can't say Everton weren't warned from his previous tenure at Wigan Athletic.

Martinez actually inherited a squad who had finished 11 under Steve Bruce but went on to record Premier League finishes of 16, 16 and 15 at the JJB Stadium before eventually succumbing to relegation in 18 place in 2013 despite the FA Cup win.

Winning more friends than matches might wash at Wigan but not at Everton, and certainly not when you've assembled the club's most talented squad for a generation.

When Andrea Bocelli sang 'Time to Say Goodbye' before the kick-off, it sent a shiver down the spine of everyone inside the King Power Stadium but for Martinez the words might have caused more of a shudder.

I don't get this need to have a go at other Evertonians, we get enough abuse from outside quarters. So people are wrong, so what? Everyone wants what's best for the club, which is more than you can say for the media and everyone else.

Opposing ideas, opinions, give me that over consensus anyday. It challenges you, makes you think. Cause that's a point of a forum, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back