Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should recognise the positive contributions he has made in certain areas. Davies, Connolly, Pennington, Dowell and Browning have all had minutes in the first team and that is huge for their careers.

None by choice including Galloway. All dropped once senior players were available. Some benched in favour of playing senior players out of position

None by choice including Galloway. All dropped once senior players were available. Some benched in favour of playing senior players out of position
But, he has been supportive of the academy and those lads were probably no more than fourteen when he first came so he has had an input in their development and I think those young lads have had a good deal of interaction with the senior team in the last three years.

We all know anyway they are not ready to play every week in the first team. That experience will have them an experience they will never forget and hopefully thought them a lot as well.

Why does a manager have to be wonderful or useless at all facets of the job ?
Can they not have strengths and weaknesses ?

As with everybody else I would love Mourinho as manager, but, I know that if he is appointed then it becomes a lot harder for players from the academy to get established or to even get a first team game. Jose sets a high standard , signs the players he wants to do a job and I have yet to see him encourage or promote youth from the clubs academy.
He will win matches for you and in every game you become hard to beat.

Roberto Martinez has done a very good job in signing young players and a good job in promoting and encouraging young academy players.
However, his teams lose too many games and concede too many goals, that is what you are judged on ultimately.

I think we should recognise the positive contributions he has made in certain areas. Davies, Connolly, Pennington, Dowell and Browning have all had minutes in the first team and that is huge for their careers. The signings of Galloway, Lukau, Deulofeu in particular have been great, lets give him credit for those.
Let's give him credit for the development of Barkley and Stones.
But, he has to go because we lose too many games and he doesn't seem willing to adapt his style.

personally think hes been a complete failure in this regard. if he had of used them more he might still be in a job, but instead he went back to the old has-beens who let him down over and over.

Why does a manager have to be wonderful or useless at all facets of the job ?
Can they not have strengths and weaknesses ?

As with everybody else I would love Mourinho as manager, but, I know that if he is appointed then it becomes a lot harder for players from the academy to get established or to even get a first team game. Jose sets a high standard , signs the players he wants to do a job and I have yet to see him encourage or promote youth from the clubs academy.
He will win matches for you and in every game you become hard to beat.

Roberto Martinez has done a very good job in signing young players and a good job in promoting and encouraging young academy players.
However, his teams lose too many games and concede too many goals, that is what you are judged on ultimately.

I think we should recognise the positive contributions he has made in certain areas. Davies, Connolly, Pennington, Dowell and Browning have all had minutes in the first team and that is huge for their careers. The signings of Galloway, Lukau, Deulofeu in particular have been great, lets give him credit for those.
Let's give him credit for the development of Barkley and Stones.
But, he has to go because we lose too many games and he doesn't seem willing to adapt his style.

Who really cares about an academy if you are winning trophies? you could have the worlds best academy but still win nothing. trophies count nothing else.

Who really cares about an academy if you are winning trophies? you could have the worlds best academy but still win nothing. trophies count nothing else.

I guess the theory is that a good academy will lead to better home grown players and hopefully a more consistent tilt at the pots.

Unless you have a bottomless pit of cash. Which most clubs do not have.

image.webp

Agree that Martinez should have been sacked following the derby but it's impossible to say that we'd have beaten United with a caretaker manager. While I disagreed with the board I could see the argument that he managed us to the semis and has won the competition before so maybe deserved the chance to see if he could do it again.
I think we could have beaten United if martinez wasn't in charge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back