Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks I've not posted on this forum.... and I've been here a while so it took a lot to keep me away. I still lurk though, and what I see is painful, embarrassing and cringeworthy to be honest. The only bit of level headed common sense I've read has come from @davek ...... hats off to you dave, fight the good fight, I don't have the stomach for this shower on here, i'm going back to lurking only.

I wont betray a pm, but I can give an insight that sums up the 60 or so I've had on this in the last 48 hours. It's a compendium letter and no one's in particular, just pulling out the tone and major emotion:

"Dave, well in lad. I cant be arsed challenging the fume going on, but it needs saying. It's hysteria, lad. Just mad . Where were these people after the Chelsea game mate? Doing my head in. Anyway, Kenwright's a lot of things but he values loyalty and RM is sound for at least next season. Keep up the good work mate".

Keep fighting the good fight mate, it's good to have a face for us that feel unable to show our true feelings.

True that, but how many other players in our squad would defo walk into a CL team ?

Robles - No
Howard - No

Coleman - maybe
Baines - maybe
Jagielka - maybe
Mori - not yet
Stones - not yet
Oviedo - No
Galloway - no

Barkley - Probably
Barry - Maybe, but Citeh sold him
McCarthy - Maybe
Cleverley - Not really
Lennon - Maybe, but Spurs sold him
Deulofeu - Not yet, that's why he's in our squad
Mirallas - He's wanted to for years, but noone seems that interested
Osman - No
Pienaar - No
Gibson - No
Besic - OK, I'll give you that one

Kone - I'll let you answer that one.
Niasse - Too early to tell

... and yes, I know you could say the same about Leicester, and they've massively overachieved, but it is possible that our fifth place flattered us and we just had a season where everything, including United and Spurs being rank average, came together nicely in our favour.

We've got some good, talented players, some of which should continue to improve and become CL players, but we're not there yet.

to be fair, we're better than say 7 or 8 teams that are in the champions league every year, they just play in crud leagues.

2 weeks I've not posted on this forum.... and I've been here a while so it took a lot to keep me away. I still lurk though, and what I see is painful, embarrassing and cringeworthy to be honest. The only bit of level headed common sense I've read has come from @davek ...... hats off to you dave, fight the good fight, I don't have the stomach for this shower on here, i'm going back to lurking only.

Phew... Can put these glasses back out without someone getting hurt....

Only joking Friend

True that, but how many other players in our squad would defo walk into a CL team ?

Robles - No
Howard - No

Coleman - maybe
Baines - maybe
Jagielka - maybe
Mori - not yet
Stones - not yet
Oviedo - No
Galloway - no

Barkley - Probably
Barry - Maybe, but Citeh sold him
McCarthy - Maybe
Cleverley - Not really
Lennon - Maybe, but Spurs sold him
Deulofeu - Not yet, that's why he's in our squad
Mirallas - He's wanted to for years, but noone seems that interested
Osman - No
Pienaar - No
Gibson - No
Besic - OK, I'll give you that one

Kone - I'll let you answer that one.
Niasse - Too early to tell

... and yes, I know you could say the same about Leicester, and they've massively overachieved, but it is possible that our fifth place flattered us and we just had a season where everything, including United and Spurs being rank average, came together nicely in our favour.

We've got some good, talented players, some of which should continue to improve and become CL players, but we're not there yet.

For individuals of champs league top quality:

Mori 1-2 Seasons (needs to cut silly mistakes)
Stones 1-2 seasons (Improve defensively)
Galloway 3-4 seasons (total guess)
Besic 1 season (fitness issues)
Barkley 1 season (more consitency)
Deulofeu 2 seasons (improve defensively+fitness)
Lukaku Now

All based entirely on guesswork. None of them other than lukaku have consistency yet.

I really have no idea what people expect from this developing squad...

Martinez would be cracking at Leicester. Would turn them from league leaders to relegation fodder in two seasons max.

based on absolutely no shred of evidence whatsoever. He's never done that once in his career - he's made teams go the other way. He's turning us that way too, we have a young squad - of course they're going to be inconsistent.

everyone on here is too blind to look past their hatred of the man to see how fantastically he's setting us up for the future. in his first 3 seasons he's had us have a great season in the league a very good one in the europa (which was ruined by a few key injuries for the 2nd leg) and a season where we've reached semis in both cups.

Our squad isn't strong enough to compete on all those levels at once yet, but it sure is being built that way and will be further strengthened by our new wealth. Patience is a virtue, people have been seeing too much quick success of city's and chelseas to expect it to happen to their club as well - it may well happen to us in the next couple of seasons - wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back