Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you could argue that, conversely he purchased Lukaku for 30 million and is now worth 60. That he played Stones persistently hence now worth 30 million, Barkley?, so in the boards view does that make up for the lost revenue? Also Deulofeu bought for 4 million, worth now?

Well the Board arent stupid mate, they know that Fraudo didnt buy Stones and Barkley.

This is a hypothetical, but consider it. Martinez record might easily look like this come May.

First season, 5th place, record premier league total.
2nd Season, 5th round of the Europa Cup was it? and 12th in the league.
3rd Season, One semi, and FA Cup win. Another season to forget in the league.

Now as I said it's hypothetical but does that record look that bad considering the last twenty years? Obviously a lot would depend on winning the cup. Now let me state, I don't think at the moment Martinez has the necessary experience, skill set, whatever you want to call it, to be a successful Premier League manager. However, if the hypothetical target is met. I think that's not a bad return, factoring in the positives and negatives of his tenure.

If your hypothesis turned into hard fact, I would say that would be a blooming good record for three years, if I am honest with you.

And.....whisper is quietly.....it would be a slightly better record than Howard had in his first three years...:blush:

Certainly no worse.

but sssssshhhhh.....:cool:

am I right in thinking if we get nothing at United next Sunday we could be 15th in the table?

never expected to be relying on others games and results to be honest, 15th is shocking .....

12th is bad enough but apparently finishing 15th is no different to finishing 5th so it doesn't matter mate ;)

And your point is?

Round these parts there is a school of thought that says 15th is just the same as 5th :Blink:

Welcome to the new age :pint2:

15th with the prems 2nd highest scorer is in itself a sackable offence

Incredible. And people get irritated when it's suggested there's mischief mixed in with the debate.
We're not 15th but still that's something that could be true. And that's so close to the bottom three. We're pretty much relegated. Can't believe none of you can see this.
And don't go saying we could also be ninth. That's typical Martinez bluster. Game in hand? Goal difference that statistically would indicate we are more likely to finish higher than lower? All just a smokescreen. You'll be blaming the fans next. Suppose you'll be bringing up the clearly offside goal or the sending off. It's always something. It's never his fault. Never his fault that we've already been relegated.

Martinez's philosophies:

• Improve the squad in every transfer window
  • Create an environment for players to consistently perform well and improve themselves
  • Reward players who take their chances in the team (see Robles, Stones over Distin in the past, Barkley from 2014)
  • Create targets and plans for the younger players and give them the opportunity to be part of Everton
  • To be positive in the media about Everton players and Everton youngsters
  • To defend the club and his and the clubs' intentions at every turn in the media
  • To attract the right characters in terms of successful and 'professional' high-pedigree footballers in their attitude to the club (see Yarmolenko's interest in us for proof, see Lukaku)
  • To spend big money wisely when given the opportunity (Brave decision to spend £28m on Lukaku, deserves credit for that being an undeniable success, could have been a disaster)
  • To sell players if it seems they are not going to be able to contribute and their value is going to go down in the transfer market (see fees received for Anichebe, Jelavic, Fellaini, Naismith)
  • To improve club facilities if and when we had the funds
  • To play football the right way not just with the ball but in terms of diving, cheating and bad attitudes and bad behaviour on and off the pitch
  • To please the fans, to understand them
  • To gain more fans and keep fans interested
  • To be positive as much as you can about our chairman our fans and our players
  • To patiently improve the way Everton were seen as a footballing side to the point where we got a billionaire investor
The negatives of the last two seasons cannot be denied. Stringing two league wins together in a row only twice in the last 700+ days is very poor.

you'll get some arguing otherwise mate....truly baffling
Very baffling. But I have to say it's a relief to see a handful of fans criticising him for being 15th. Thank god some people have got some common sense at least.
And you're bound to get some naive fans pointing out that we're actually 12th with a game in hand on teams above us. When are they going to wake up?

It does yes. And I certainly want Martinez to succeed so I am not trying to stir. Do you think if given a lot of money he will be able to sort the defence? I really have my doubts.

Let's have this right. I admire his philosophy and big vision for the club. His outlook. The fact that he is trying to imprint a positive mindset based around pass and move. My worry is though he's an idealist and the practical realities may catch up with him. In the interim will he be prepared to set sided up to play how we did against Chelsea at home, as opposed to Arsenal at home a week later?

In many ways I would love him in a DIF role. Overseeing the academy, incomings and outgoings, strategic direction of the club and ethos on what we are trying to achieve. I am not sure his strength is in the day to day detail of managing a team though and we may be better served with someone else doing that? In a head coach type of role.

I will ask again though, do you think with more cash he will build a solid defence? And if so, what gives you that idea? I am not saying you are wrong but I am a bit devoid of reasons to have such confidence in him and I'd love to hear some reasons (from you or anybody else for that matter!) I want to buy into Martinez but my faith is certainly being tested!
You can take any manager, short of the greats, and point to shortcomings that they must work on. It's not something you observe and then automatically say because it needs work they should be released.

I don't think it's systemic with the defence. As you point out, we have examples where we are watertight, and against good teams too. It's lack of consistency, and for me that comes with the lack of leader/organiser on the pitch. There's no question our defensive form can be improved dramatically with different personnel - specifically a new GK who commands their area and a CB to come in and command the back line.

Very baffling. But I have to say it's a relief to see a handful of fans criticising him for being 15th. Thank god some people have got some common sense at least.
And you're bound to get some naive fans pointing out that we're actually 12th with a game in hand on teams above us. When are they going to wake up?
It's usually when it's too late mate.

Blimey.

April's a BIG & expensive old month eh.

Hope BOB's up for it like...

EFC.webp

Blimey.

April's a BIG & expensive old month eh.

Hope BOB's up for it like...

View attachment 20027
Funny thing is I could see us losing every one of those matches or win any of them. Not all, mind. Because winning matches in a row isn't really important in the last calendar year. These last two years really have left me scratching my head. Expect a bad performance, they dominate. Expect to dominate, they barely move on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back