Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so which manager would make you happy Fat Stan

I hate that question because it's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Out of the managers that were available the only manager I would've gone for was Martinez, without question. He's not up his own arse, he seems a sound and intelligent guy and it is nice to know that he does believe in, and enforce, passing football. I suppose "throughthewindandtherain" put it well when he said any new manager would cause anxiety as it threatens to affect the upper tier stability that Moyesey brought to us. I suppose, like many who feel the same as me, ill say that I "hope" he works out rather than being particularly "confident" that he'll work out. Having watched that press conference though, I would just rather be "confident" than "hope" that he knows that we are expecting to be challenging for Europe. It's not a dream anymore. It's reality.

Having said all that, at the end of the day, all the worry about how he'll do is fantasy stuff really, the only indisputable FACT is that Martinez is now the manager of Everton. Based on that, there's only one thing we can do, **** the mask and support him like hell until he gives us any real reason to do otherwise!

I hate that question because it's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Out of the managers that were available the only manager I would've gone for was Martinez, without question. He's not up his own arse, he seems a sound and intelligent guy and it is nice to know that he does believe in, and enforce, passing football. I suppose "throughthewindandtherain" put it well when he said any new manager would cause anxiety as it threatens to affect the upper tier stability that Moyesey brought to us. I suppose, like many who feel the same as me, ill say that I "hope" he works out rather than being particularly "confident" that he'll work out. Having watched that press conference though, I would just rather be "confident" than "hope" that he knows that we are expecting to be challenging for Europe. It's not a dream anymore. It's reality.

Having said all that, at the end of the day, all the worry about how he'll do is fantasy stuff really, the only indisputable FACT is that Martinez is now the manager of Everton. Based on that, there's only one thing we can do, **** the mask and support him like hell until he gives us any real reason to do otherwise!

Not trying to psycho-analyse you mate, but is this more about you not liking change rather than Martinez specifically?

Generally speaking, many blues would admit that we were 'comfortable' under Moyes, we knew what we were getting - 6th or 7th place and no trophies. There is appreciation of mediocrity, especially after he took us from staring at the cliff into the Championship when he took over.

No-one likes change, me included, but I dont think you need to try and gee yourself up about Martinez, because any new manager coming in would be faced with having to put his stamp not only on the team, but also the whole football club which has Moyes' mark stamped all over it. As Davek says, dont worry yourself or get agitated about whether he can emulate Moyes, stay at neutral and give him the opportunity to win you over.

I think its going to be an exciting season just because its a step into the unknown, and the unknown is something we havent had for 11 years (barring 2 qualifiers in the champions league).

I wonder how many of the people 'wearing the mask' about Martinez were 'wearing the mask' eleven years ago when we hired the manager of Preston.

this exactly. I don't know what people want. we have a manager that puts playing attractive football above all else. Are we not happy about this? We have a quality defence in place. Why not be excited that we may turn up to Goodison every fortnight excited by the game ahead of us instead of already knowing how it would go:

top 4-6: backs to the wall, plucky everton
mid table: struggle to win by a goal.
bottom 6: often outplayed on the floor, draw or win without conviction

I am looking forward to the season more than I would be with Moyes in charge. I loved Moyes, but we move on and I can't wait to see how Martinez sets us up to play

I'm optimistic but with doubts, however I am finding this new RAWKish level of anti-negativity amusing, especially from those who refused to see anything positive last year and for several years previous to that.

this exactly. I don't know what people want. we have a manager that puts playing attractive football above all else. Are we not happy about this? We have a quality defence in place. Why not be excited that we may turn up to Goodison every fortnight excited by the game ahead of us instead of already knowing how it would go:

top 4-6: backs to the wall, plucky everton
mid table: struggle to win by a goal.
bottom 6: often outplayed on the floor, draw or win without conviction

I am looking forward to the season more than I would be with Moyes in charge. I loved Moyes, but we move on and I can't wait to see how Martinez sets us up to play

I hope your wrong, I hope he puts results first to be honest.

think they had some Roberto Martinez masks in the video for Wigan Wiggle

will try and find out where they got them made

I'm optimistic but with doubts, however I am finding this new RAWKish level of anti-negativity amusing, especially from those who refused to see anything positive last year and for several years previous to that.

I don't see how it's RAWKish anti-negativity. I think most people are just waiting before they judge him at Everton. If he makes a couple of questionable signings the mood may change but all that he's done so far is handle himself extremely well in the press.

Most fans right now are happy that we have some excellent players who appear to love the club and want to stay with us and after years of predictable line-ups, interviews and final league positions (not necessarily bad things) some are excited by the not knowing.

Some people are excited by change and some fear it, I don't see why anyone would be feeling overly negatively or positively right now though because next season (and pre-season) literally anything could happen!

Personally looking at it now I think he is the right man as the group of managers we were looking at weren't really up to much. Pereira has shown his true colour by going to a nothing Arab league just for the money. If we want a long term appointment then I think we chose right in Martinez, I've spoke to a few blues about him and most think he will just carry on Moyes job and keep us finishing in relatively good positions consistently. I just hope he adds an FA cup or League Cup to the trophy room as I have never witnessed Everton win a trophy in my lifetime

I was actually wondering if there was/is anybody out there that would've sacked Moyes, in order to bring in Martinez?

No one can predict the future, every manager that was available or that we were linked with had some sort of negative to go along with the positives.

Maybe its the Evertonian in me but I think there were a lot worse candidates out there than Martinez and for that reason alone I'm happy with the appointment. Kenwright could have easily gone for a 'safe pair of hands' or one of the usual suspects like O'Neil, McCliesh, McLaren or even worse Hughes, but really when it seemed to boil down to a straight shoot out between Martinez and Pierra I think I would have been happy either way.

how many times have we let teams back in the game cos we go defensive and not go for the kill.

That's my point. Games under Moyes invariably saw us win or lose by the odd goal. We were competitive in almost every game, but we never killed teams off or played with freedom.

So many draws last season were due to us not taking advantage of our superiority - though Moyes would point to Jelavic misses as another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.