Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually wondering if there was/is anybody out there that would've sacked Moyes, in order to bring in Martinez?

I was never a big fan of Moyes, as many will affirm, but never advocated that he be sacked, because in terms of stability he did a good job...unfortunately he compromised it by turning us into a club of medium expectation, and I think that by the end of this next season I would be wanting him out. At that point if Martinez was a candidate I would think he was a pretty good shout.
At some point Everton had to bite the bullet in an attempt to move forward.

Couple of things I would like to give my opinion on here. Firstly, Moyes's 11 years here. Moyes gets full credit for bringing stability to the club. Now hang on here, we as a club afforded Moyes the luxury of 'time' to get things right, make mistakes, without pressure, and with full support. It will be interesting to see how he performs at ManU. I have my own opinion on that but I will reserve judgement for now.

Secondly, this 'Martinez-relegated-Wigan' chat really irks me. Martinez saved Wigan from relegation more than once. Did 'Arry Redknapp save QPR? The same 'Arry who got Spurs into the Champions League. Its probably a mute point, but we should stop using this as a stick to beat Martinez with.

We are all in the realms of the unknown at the moment but I have a feeling we will all be pleasantly surprised. I've said this before but we need to get behind him and make him feel part of the fabric of this club as soon as possible.

I'm trying. By god I am trying! But no matter how much I want to believe in him, how much I want him to succeed and how much I want to just feel naturally positive about the man, I just can't help but feel very worried and ultimately negative about the appointment of Roberto Martinez as manager of Everton Football Club. I know there's an obvious divide in Everton fans' views and opinions of this issue, but what about the man wearing the mask like me. The man who's putting a smile on and forcing himself to look and "feel" excited about Martinez, but deep down knows that something just doesn't fit. I know I'm not the only one wearing that mask of jubilance covering a face of concern, worry and gloominess. Having watched the full appointment of Martinez press conference on YouTube, I think it's blatantly obvious that Kenwright is wearing that mask too. Some say this is a time of promise and future glory, with the players we have, the football Martinez' teams play and the fact that we're taking on a manager who won what Moyesey never could (a trophy!), and I'm happy for those people. Others say this is a huge mistake, with a manager that's never progressed a bottom five team which was finishing higher in the league before he took over and now under his reign got relegated, and I'm happy for those people too. At least you openly know where you stand. But those of you wearing the mask of delight covering up a deep down despair, put your hand up and make yourself known, because I know there's more than just me and Blue Bill.

you need to grow a set of BALLS and post under your usual name you big fanny

Let's have it right: Martinez hasn't got a whole lot to 'live up to'. Moyes brought us zero success. he made us solid.

The bar is set no higher than that.

Couple of things I would like to give my opinion on here. Firstly, Moyes's 11 years here. Moyes gets full credit for bringing stability to the club. Now hang on here, we as a club afforded Moyes the luxury of 'time' to get things right, make mistakes, without pressure, and with full support. It will be interesting to see how he performs at ManU. I have my own opinion on that but I will reserve judgement for now.

Secondly, this 'Martinez-relegated-Wigan' chat really irks me. Martinez saved Wigan from relegation more than once. Did 'Arry Redknapp save QPR? The same 'Arry who got Spurs into the Champions League. Its probably a mute point, but we should stop using this as a stick to beat Martinez with.

We are all in the realms of the unknown at the moment but I have a feeling we will all be pleasantly surprised. I've said this before but we need to get behind him and make him feel part of the fabric of this club as soon as possible.

Moyes was there for a long time because he was a very good manager, we had stability because he gave it to us, therefore we kept him and therefore we stayed stable.
Martinez did get relegated, its a valid cause for peoples concern, we are a team fighting for europe every season after all, and a relegation is several steps down.
Martinez is not getting beaten at all, he's getting support from pretty much everyone on the forums, on the street and in the media.
Who wanted Harry?
Who's not getting behind him?
Clearly you didn't like Moyes from your post, but even with the cup win, he has to make a massive step up to match Moyes.
I am with you though, I think he can do it, I am perhaps not as blinded by faith as some here but I am positive that next season will be a good one... whatever happens, its certainly going to be interesting.

Let's have it right: Martinez hasn't got a whole lot to 'live up to'. Moyes brought us zero success. he made us solid.

Whilst I take the point re: pots, I think you're massively dumbing down his actual contribution there & I reckon you'll have more of a balanced perspective on exactly what he did bring to the party, over the next 18 months.

Should be very easy to do better then

He can 'live up to' Moyes by getting the average league position he did after being in the job a reasonable period of time. Isn't that what the Moyes FC lovers want - no drop in the standards?

Spot on post Dave, you'd have though we just lost Kendall Mk I or Catterick or something like that rather than a bloke who won nothing, took us as far as the budget combined by his own limitations as a manager could take us, im glad to drop the mask of accepting that we are a small club who are happy to finish in the 6-7th place cup final every year and that moyes was the second coming of Jesus who could do no wrong.

Im happy to have a manager who is 11 years younger with one more major trophy in his locker than Moyes has

Whilst I take the point re: pots, I think you're massively dumbing down his actual contribution there & I reckon you'll have more of a balanced perspective on exactly what he did bring to the party, over the next 18 months.

and if we win something and are no worse off league wise will you accept that moyes was in fact a media hyped nothing?

Moyes was there for a long time because he was a very good manager, we had stability because he gave it to us, therefore we kept him and therefore we stayed stable.
Martinez did get relegated, its a valid cause for peoples concern, we are a team fighting for europe every season after all, and a relegation is several steps down.
Martinez is not getting beaten at all, he's getting support from pretty much everyone on the forums, on the street and in the media.
Who wanted Harry?
Who's not getting behind him?
Clearly you didn't like Moyes from your post, but even with the cup win, he has to make a massive step up to match Moyes.
I am with you though, I think he can do it, I am perhaps not as blinded by faith as some here but I am positive that next season will be a good one... whatever happens, its certainly going to be interesting.

Every team bar the obvious relegation fodder teams are 'fighting for Europe'. Four seasons in 11 we qualified under Moyes. Let's not gild the lilly too much eh?

and if we win something and are no worse off league wise will you accept that moyes was in fact a media hyped nothing?

If that happened then it'd be down to Martinez taking us forwards & building on what Moyes left & he'd deserve plenty of credit for it. However, it wouldn't diminish what Moyes achieved from the day he arrived, until the day he left.

Oh & btw, if Moyes wins a pot next season at United, will you concede that he's not a 'bottler'?

Spot on post Dave, you'd have though we just lost Kendall Mk I or Catterick or something like that rather than a bloke who won nothing, took us as far as the budget combined by his own limitations as a manager could take us, im glad to drop the mask of accepting that we are a small club who are happy to finish in the 6-7th place cup final every year and that moyes was the second coming of Jesus who could do no wrong.

Im happy to have a manager who is 11 years younger with one more major trophy in his locker than Moyes has

I think a lot of people fell for Moyes FC mate. The triumph of PR over content.

I recognise what he did. I always give him the credit of steadying the ship after Smith and steering us into balmy waters. But i wont accept he was a success. Not a bit of it. You'd have to redefine the word 'success' to include Moyes' *achievements* in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.